Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: And here I was about to blast Casey for this

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A team consisting of Lowry, Gay, Bargnani, Ross, Anderson and Lucas should do well 3 point shooting wise. Fields and Derozan are capable of adding a little as well. If one or two guys are struggling, it could be attributed to bad form but if the team is struggling, Coaching's got to be the issue.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  2. #22
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,335
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    A team consisting of Lowry, Gay, Bargnani, Ross, Anderson and Lucas should do well 3 point shooting wise. Fields and Derozan are capable of adding a little as well. If one or two guys are struggling, it could be attributed to bad form but if the team is struggling, Coaching's got to be the issue.
    I'm not sure how that team would provide much 3pt shooting, considering that it's unlikely that more than 2 of them would ever be on the court together (assuming Bargnani is gone). Lowry and Gay are going to be the team's primary ball-handlers, so neither of them are going to be spot-up 3pt shooters. There's a chance that neither Anderson or Lucas are back next season, so I wouldn't bank on them yet either.

    This team either needs a completely revamped offensive system that is predicated around better ball movement, or at least needs some better dedicated spot-up 3pt shooters to balance the starting lineup alongside Valanciunas/Gay/Lowry.

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Just to make this very simple...I have no clue what the deal has always been with Bargs and the corners. He has never been utilized that way, so I just came to assume it was a player issue, that he doesn't like shooting from those spots and hasn't really ever become very good from the corners, so the coach never puts him there.
    I don't think that it would be a player issue. I've never heard of a player being uncomfortable shooting in the corner.

    The funny thing I just realized about Derozan - you know that step back two pointer with his feet just inside the three point line that he loves taking (aka THE WORST SHOT IN BASKETBALL)? That's a corner three. So theoretically, he already has that range.
    Last edited by JimiCliff; Tue Mar 12th, 2013 at 12:55 PM.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Starter e_wheazhy_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    969
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ok see, this is a thing the coach needs to look at. he needs to set up off ball movement and set plays designed to put people on the corners. even if we had bargs or demar stand there, i'd just as gladly take a drive and dunk as a corner three. if theyre gonna be open anyways

    sounds like caseys learning from the Bryan Colangelo School of Telling People What They Want To Hear
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    I don't think that it would be a player issue. I've never heard of a player being uncomfortable shooting in the corner.

    The funny thing I just realized about Derozan - you know that step back two pointer with his feet just inside the three point line that he loves taking (aka THE WORST SHOT IN BASKETBALL)? That's a corner three. So theoretically, he already has that range.
    I don't know if it's a player thing with Bargs, but I also feel like it's generally not a preferred shot for bigs....maybe for the same reason I hated the corners in high school (and I'm not even a big guy at all), because there isn't a lot of space if you like stepping/sliding into your shots, and it can be a pain accidentally stepping out of bounds. Maybe for a totally different reason. I have a hard time of thinking of bigs that like to shoot from the corners. The first guy I think of isn't even in the league anymore: Sam Perkins.

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    If I was DC, I would take Ross to the corners and give him the Happy Gilmore speech - "This is your home. Go to your home!" - and make Ross live in the corners. Not only could he work on his 3pt shot but, in time, I could see him using fakes to drive the baseline and even use his BB-IQ to make backdoor cuts for easy buckets & alley-oops.

    Of course, I could see Fields also filling this role admirably, if he's able to regain his 3pt form. I actually see a lot of Anthony Parker in Fields - great perimeter defense, smart player with great floor vision, doesn't need the ball a lot to be successful, contributes a lot of intangibles, provides leadership - the corner 3 would be the icing on the cake.

    If Ross and/or Fields can nail down that role from the SG spot, where does that leave DeRozan?
    LMAO....totally. Just put Ross in the corners for the whole summer. I don't think it'll be a problem for him. The weird thing about Ross is that if you look at his shot chart, it's a slow decline in % as you go "around the world" from one corner to the other. That's on player and coach...gotta recognize his strengths and try to make sure he is put in those positions where he's more effective.

    http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart...layerID=203082

    to sum up for people who don't want to click it, starting from the left corner....and there are 5 spots....
    8/16, 50%
    18/39 , 46.15%
    4/11, 36.36% (few attempts here expected as he's almost always off the ball)
    21/66, 31.82%
    5/32, 15.63% in the right corner....
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Mar 12th, 2013 at 01:22 PM.

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I don't know if it's a player thing with Bargs, but I also feel like it's generally not a preferred shot for bigs....maybe for the same reason I hated the corners in high school (and I'm not even a big guy at all), because there isn't a lot of space if you like stepping/sliding into your shots, and it can be a pain accidentally stepping out of bounds. Maybe for a totally different reason. I have a hard time of thinking of bigs that like to shoot from the corners. The first guy I think of isn't even in the league anymore: Sam Perkins.
    Actually, that's an excellent point: it is rare to see bigger guys shooting that corner shot. Sam Perkins, definitely. I haven't watched to many NO games this year, I wonder if Ryan Anderson does. Novak does. Rashard Lewis killed it from there, but he was undersized as a four.

    That's interesting that you say you're uncomfortable shooting from there; I've always liked shooting from there. But maybe that's issue for some NBA players.

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

    This team either needs a completely revamped offensive system that is predicated around better ball movement, or at least needs some better dedicated spot-up 3pt shooters to balance the starting lineup alongside Valanciunas/Gay/Lowry.
    While spot up 3 point shooting is self taught, ball movement is Coach taught. Good ball movement creates the extra pass that can result in an open 3 point shot. This is where the Raptors are lacking. If 3 point talent is added next year, better talent might increase the 3 point percentage but not by a lot if the ball is not moved enough.

    Last year the 3 point shooting was not so bad because Bargnani was in good form and Calderon was still in the team.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,141
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    BTW, Calderon is top 5 in the league in 3pt %.

    If anyone cared
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •