State of the Nation Address - The Long Division Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Part of the reason Chicago can't find trade partners, aside from his money, is his age and injury history. They will probably have just as hard a time shopping him in the summer and I see no reason why they won't revisit discussions with Toronto.
    I don't want Boozer.
    And here's why:

2014-15 Season

Kyle Lowry (new contract) - 9 million (conservative?)
    Rudy Gay - $19.3 million (final year)
    Demar Derozan - $9.5 million
    Boozer - $16.8 million (33 years old when season starts)

Total = $54.6 million - 4 players

Add Amir Johnson (7 million) --> Total now = $61.6 million

Not biting on a Boozer trade, and instead amnestying Andrea in 2014 (not a smart move, but it would be available), Raptor payroll would be around 45 million for the top 4 paid guys.

[Edit]
    Now that I think about it, Raptors could have 31+ million in expiring contracts with Rudy & Andrea. Changing the line-up to add Boozer, would see that expiring amount jump to 36.1 million.

31+ million is some pretty serious "exchange" money.

Last edited by RapthoseLeafs; Sat Mar 16, 2013, 03:23 PM.

Comment

RapthoseLeafs wrote: View Post
      I don't want Boozer.
      And here's why:

2014-15 Season

Kyle Lowry (new contract) - 9 million (conservative?)
      Rudy Gay - $19.3 million (final year)
      Demar Derozan - $9.5 million
      Boozer - $16.8 million (33 years old when season starts)

Total = $54.6 million - 4 players

Add Amir Johnson (7 million) --> Total now = $61.6 million

Not biting on a Boozer trade, and instead amnestying Andrea in 2014 (not a smart move, but it would be available), Raptor payroll would be around 45 million for the top 4 paid guys.

[Edit]
      Now that I think about it, Raptors could have 31+ million in expiring contracts with Rudy & Andrea. Changing the line-up to add Boozer, would see that expiring amount jump to 36.1 million.

31+ million is some pretty serious "exchange" money.

I'm not the biggest Boozer fan, but I don't get your reasons...

For the payroll, who cares? This team will not be in a position to add anything significant in free agency until that summer of 2015 anyway. Adding Boozer in no way impacts flexibility. I don't pay the tax, so if the team is willing to take on the added burden (they'll almost definitely be over the tax anyway, so it's just a matter of how much), good for them...I'm not even getting into the merit of a 9+ million extension for Lowry until he at least plays well for 2 consecutive months, because he's been way too inconsistent.

As for the expiring money, it makes little difference either way. I don't understand why that's added in there at all. Is it arguing in favor of one plan or the other? Or are you just showing the totals for the sake of it?

I would also rather not add Boozer because I don't think it makes a big difference on the team. They probably could be as high (best case) as 6th or 7th next year as the roster stands...I don't think Boozer does more than guarantee at least 6th, but probably still not likely to get 5 or higher. I also don't know if I want a post player who demands touches for 2 seasons. I figure at some point in that 2nd season, JV will be a better threat. I also worry about the injury potential given his age and history.
      Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Mar 16, 2013, 04:03 PM.

Comment

I'm not the biggest Boozer fan, but I don't get your reasons...

For the payroll, who cares?
        Payroll doesn't matter to me, but it does to our Cap position. Should the Raptors be above the "apron" ($4 million above the Luxury tax base), the implications do impede Contract Offer terms & use of mid-level exemption.

This team will not be in a position to add anything significant in free agency until that summer of 2015 anyway. As for the expiring money, it makes little difference either way. I don't understand why that's added in there at all. Is it arguing in favor of one plan or the other?
        Not true on the 2015 numbers. Andrea would still be eligible for amnesty (in 2014), thus allowing (against my better judgement) for the Raptors to chase after a Free agent. Raptors could also use his expiring contract as ballast in a trade. That strikes me as win-win in my mind.

What I'm saying - in arguing for one plan or the other - is that the Raptors have choices. And with little risk.

Last edited by RapthoseLeafs; Mon Mar 18, 2013, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Long story short, it may not hurt your bank, but it'll hurt your favourite team's bank. It will seriously close any ability to sign/take-in big contracts now, which means being stuck with the same roster, likely resulting in mediocrity.
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
          X