Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Raptors Expected To Pursue Carl Landry

Hybrid View

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raptors Expected To Pursue Carl Landry

The Toronto Raptors are expected to pursue Carl Landry this offseason if he opts out of his contract with the Golden State Warriors, according to a source.

The Raptors will seek a veteran power forward this summer.

Amir Johnson has had a breakout season for Toronto at the power forward position and are also looking for a resolution to the Andrea Bargnani situation.

Via Marc J. Spears/Yahoo! Sports
    @RavNation

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love a PF rotation of Amir and Landry. I have always been a big fan of Landry and wanted the Raps to pursue him earlier.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been pretty much saying this for weeks....Trade market aside, Landry will likely be target #1 at PF if he opts out. He won't be as sought as the bigger names, and the MLE would still be a payraise to him.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am down for Carl Landry. Hes a brute with a box game thats what we need. I wonder if we have anything that GSW would want though... They love 3s so maybe they will bite on Bargnani lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    I am down for Carl Landry. Hes a brute with a box game thats what we need. I wonder if we have anything that GSW would want though... They love 3s so maybe they will bite on Bargnani lol.
    The point is to sign him if he opts out. I very much doubt he's a trade candidate.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Im not sure what i should think about this.
    I just looked at Landry's game logs and he's pretty much like Amir.
    If they do pursue him, does it mean theyre sticking with Amir as a starter? Yikes.

I was hoping they go after either Boozer or David West.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    If they do pursue him, does it mean theyre sticking with Amir as a starter? Yikes.

And I think the point is that Landry will be a FA target.....as in someone they can sign without a trade. Boozer, West...anybody that would make more than the mid-level is not an option to sign. I'm sure management will try to acquire a better PF if possible through a trade, but if that fails, Landry is a solid option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    And I think the point is that Landry will be a FA target.....as in someone they can sign without a trade. Boozer, West...anybody that would make more than the mid-level is not an option to sign. I'm sure management will try to acquire a better PF if possible through a trade, but if that fails, Landry is a solid option.
    Oh I see. MLE is 3-5mil? So if they get Landry, theyd probably try and trade Amir?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Bargnani sign and trade could be an option. GSW have been rumoured to have interest in the past.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Bargnani sign and trade could be an option. GSW have been rumoured to have interest in the past.
    The cost of such a deal would probably be taking back Biedrins/Jefferson....GSW seems to be very tax-fearing. I think that will be the biggest factor in whether they would do a sign and trade...doubt they care too much about getting something back if it would kill their cap, and so will only do so if it improves their situation.

And Landry has a player option....so while a sign and trade is a possibility, it is not an option Toronto or Landry would need to pursue unless he wants more than the MLE, which he isn't worth. I would think just offer him a 2 year deal for 10 million or something.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Mar 12th, 2013 at 03:17 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure they can do a sign-and-trade with Landry. My understanding is that because he signed there as a free agent last offseason, they won't even have early bird rights to him unless he picks up his option and stays for another year. Without any sort of bird rights, they can't go over the cap to sign him, even in a sign-and-trade scenario. A team can't use their MLE or mini-MLE to sign a player that they intend to move in a sign-and-trade. And they're well over the cap now with no chance of getting under it unless Biedrins and and Jefferson don't pick up their options. So unless I'm missing something (and it's totally possible I am), I don't see how GSW can sign-and-trade him.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure they can do a sign-and-trade with Landry. My understanding is that because he signed there as a free agent last offseason, they won't even have early bird rights to him unless he picks up his option and stays for another year. Without any sort of bird rights, they can't go over the cap to sign him, even in a sign-and-trade scenario. A team can't use their MLE or mini-MLE to sign a player that they intend to move in a sign-and-trade. And they're well over the cap now with no chance of getting under it unless Biedrins and and Jefferson don't pick up their options. So unless I'm missing something (and it's totally possible I am), I don't see how GSW can sign-and-trade him.
    Kind of right.... definitely more right than I was originally... cause I was not right.... at all.

I believe he can be signed and traded but it would be for no more than 120% of his previous salary ($4.8M starting per year).

89. Can a free agent be signed and immediately traded?

There is a rule that allows teams to re-sign their own free agents for trading purposes, called the sign-and-trade rule. Under this rule the player is re-signed and immediately traded to another team. This is done by adding a clause to the contract stipulating that the contract is null and void if the trade to the specific team is not completed within 48 hours. To qualify for a sign-and-trade, all of the following must be true:

The player must re-sign with his prior team -- a team cannot include another team's free agent in a sign-and-trade.
    The player must finish the preceding season with that team (deals are no longer allowed that sign-and-trade players who are out of the league, such as the sign-and-trade that sent Keith Van Horn from Dallas to New Jersey as part of the Jason Kidd trade in 2008).
    The player cannot be a restricted free agent who has signed an offer sheet with another team (see question number 43).
    Starting in 2013-14, the team receiving the player cannot be above the "apron" ($4 million above the tax level) after the trade1, 2.
    Starting in 2013-14, the team cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade if they have used the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (see question number 25) that season.1
    The trade must be completed prior to the first game of the regular season (sign-and-trades are not allowed once the season begins).
    The player cannot be signed using the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, or any exception that cannot be used to offer a three-year contract (see question number 25).
    NON-BIRD EXCEPTION -- This is also a component of the Veteran Free Agent exception. Its name is somewhat of a misnomer, since Non-Bird really is a form of Bird rights. Players who qualify for this exception are called "Non-Qualifying Veteran Free Agents" in the CBA. They are veteran free agents who are neither Qualifying Veteran Free Agents nor Early Qualifying Veteran Free Agents, and include the following:

Players who finished the season with a given team, who have played no more than one season without clearing waivers or changing teams as a free agent.
    Players who were Early Bird free agents, but whose team renounced its right to use the Early Bird exception to re-sign the player.
    Players who were to be Larry Bird or Early Bird free agents, were playing on one-year contracts, and were traded mid-season.

This exception allows a team to re-sign its own free agent to a salary starting at up to 120% of his salary in the previous season2 (not over the maximum salary, of course), 120% of the minimum salary, or the amount needed to tender a qualifying offer (if the player is a restricted free agent -- see question number 43), whichever is greater. Raises are limited to 4.5% of the salary in the first year of the contract, and contracts are limited to four seasons when this exception is used.

A partial season counts as a full season for the tenure calculation related to Bird rights. If a team signs another team's free agent to a rest-of-season contract mid-way through the season, then at the end of that season the player is a non-Bird free agent.

Starting January 10 of each season, this exception begins to reduce in value. See question number 26 for details.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

i think it is a great idea pursuing carl landry hence he opts out this year...he is a consistant player when given minutes...he is entering his prime years..and he can help a lot coming off the bench...has a great feel for the game..great underrated defense...smart player...doesnt foul a lot but plays aggressive...he can learn a lot from amir but amir can learn a lot from carl landry...great back to the basket player and has improved dramatically on his shot...he is a big..a little undersized but moves really well...he doesnt have a robotic essence to his game...very quick for his size...great player..been a fan...dont know why a team hasnt kept him...he has journey'd a bit..i welcome him on my team..however i dont think this will improve our team more then now...maybe a couple more games...but it will be good...since the departure of ed davis...instead of playing amir heavy minutes and landry at the pf...in other words..landry..u r more then reliable and welcome to toronto...hope u opt out

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How the heck do you see us landing David West?
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    S&T would be the only viable option, similar to Millsap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    S&T would be the only viable option, similar to Millsap.
    I don't see how Indiana would want to trade David West anyways.

I personally like Carl Landry on this team. ONLY as a back-up option though if a sign-&-trade/trade straight up doesn't work. Good, not great offensive player inside, banger, rebounder. Not a shot blocker, and undersized though. Question; is he really worth $3-$5 million? I would think so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I dont know, but i asked the same question before Gay came to Toronto.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Why anyone would consider trading Amir or suggest he can't cut it is beyond me. Anyone who watches every game knows what the deal is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sprechen wrote: View Post
    Why anyone would consider trading Amir or suggest he can't cut it is beyond me. Anyone who watches every game knows what the deal is.
    I'm not in favor of trading Amir, i'd want the Raptors to get a starting PF and let Amir back him up.

But if the Raps are indeed pursuing Landry, then they possibly might trade Amir since Landry makes him redundant, specially with his contract.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not in favor of trading Amir, i'd want the Raptors to get a starting PF and let Amir back him up.

But if the Raps are indeed pursuing Landry, then they possibly might trade Amir since Landry makes him redundant, specially with his contract.
    Amir and Landry are not similar players, at all....they both fit in the same place in a pecking order, but have different skill sets. If you can't get an upgraded starter, not bad to have 2 borderline starters with different abilities. Their contracts would still add up to less than what Boozer will be making, to take one example. And the production would only be slightly less, with Landry actually scoring from pretty similar spots as Boozer.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information