Raptors Expected To Pursue Carl Landry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TRex wrote: View Post
    Landry as a backup 4, yeah i wouldn't mind. But as a starter? NO WAY!
    And there are positives to that. The JV/Amir tandem has looked VERY promising on D. They could start, and Casey wouldn't have to be too paranoid about Amir's fouls with Landry behind him. Similarly, if JV struggles, or if they just want two post guys on the floor, Landry can fill a scoring role that Amir can't. Will Carl Landry make this team a contender? No, he's not that kind of difference-maker. He will bring stability to the PF spot, not kill the team financially, and still make them at least a slightly better team.

Again, if they're going after Landry, it's likely because they can't acquire someone they'd prefer as a target. Sometimes that's a blessing in disguise with BC.

Comment

Honestly. If any of you were Golden State Warriors. Would you not want to play for them? Maybe he is a cash stingy player? But honestly there are few better places to be at the moment. BTW I'd love him here either backing up Johnson or being backed up by him. Don't care

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        First Johnson and now Landry. Is Bryan trying to fill a team with similar names?

I bet he will offer him Kleiza money. 4 years / 18.8M is what Kleiza got. Landry will be looking for a long term deal for that kind of money.. and Bryan won't hesitate.
        I hope it's not that kind of deal. 2 years at a payraise would be good I think. Of course BC can be a moron.

Comment

Well, there are not really a lot of options:

Josh Smith, David West, Paul Milsap, Boris Diaw, J.J. Hickson & Carl Landry

I think Carl Landry is a 3rd big off the bench but I would say he's more offensively skilled than Amir. Whereas, Amir is a better defender and rim presence.

Rebounding wise, I think it's a wash.

If we sign him for the MLE, that would be a good signing relative to the Kleiza & Kapono signing. He would be a veteran piece that we can use.

But my preference remains in signing David West, via sign and trade.
          “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            Amir and Landry are not similar players, at all....they both fit in the same place in a pecking order, but have different skill sets. If you can't get an upgraded starter, not bad to have 2 borderline starters with different abilities. Their contracts would still add up to less than what Boozer will be making, to take one example. And the production would only be slightly less, with Landry actually scoring from pretty similar spots as Boozer.
            I must admit i am not too familiar with Landry's game. Im going by the game logs which seems to show Amir-like numbers.

Will he address the post-up, rebounding, interior D that the Raps sorely need?

Comment

I just feel that our rebounding wont improve with Carl Landry.
              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                I must admit i am not too familiar with Landry's game. Im going by the game logs which seems to show Amir-like numbers.

Will he address the post-up, rebounding, interior D that the Raps sorely need?
                Everything except interior D. I don't know if he's a shitty defender, but I don't think he's a great one. He will score, and he will rebound.

Shot charts for he and Boozer.....
                http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart...layerID=201171
                http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart.html?PlayerID=2430
                Landry clearly has less usage...but he finishes a lot near the basket, where th bulk of his attempts are. He is also pretty efficient in the midrange areas as a decent shooter.

Rebounding per 36 numbers for a bunch of PFs some of whom might be moving
                Landry 9.4
                Boozer 10.6
                Amir (for fun) 9.4
                Ersan 8.8
                West 8.3
                Gasol 8.6 (and very hard to know without seeing him play again how effective he'll be next season)
                Scola 8.6

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
                  I'm not sure they can do a sign-and-trade with Landry. My understanding is that because he signed there as a free agent last offseason, they won't even have early bird rights to him unless he picks up his option and stays for another year. Without any sort of bird rights, they can't go over the cap to sign him, even in a sign-and-trade scenario. A team can't use their MLE or mini-MLE to sign a player that they intend to move in a sign-and-trade. And they're well over the cap now with no chance of getting under it unless Biedrins and and Jefferson don't pick up their options. So unless I'm missing something (and it's totally possible I am), I don't see how GSW can sign-and-trade him.
                  Kind of right.... definitely more right than I was originally... cause I was not right.... at all.

I believe he can be signed and traded but it would be for no more than 120% of his previous salary ($4.8M starting per year).

89. Can a free agent be signed and immediately traded?

There is a rule that allows teams to re-sign their own free agents for trading purposes, called the sign-and-trade rule. Under this rule the player is re-signed and immediately traded to another team. This is done by adding a clause to the contract stipulating that the contract is null and void if the trade to the specific team is not completed within 48 hours. To qualify for a sign-and-trade, all of the following must be true:

The player must re-sign with his prior team -- a team cannot include another team's free agent in a sign-and-trade.
                  The player must finish the preceding season with that team (deals are no longer allowed that sign-and-trade players who are out of the league, such as the sign-and-trade that sent Keith Van Horn from Dallas to New Jersey as part of the Jason Kidd trade in 2008).
                  The player cannot be a restricted free agent who has signed an offer sheet with another team (see question number 43).
                  Starting in 2013-14, the team receiving the player cannot be above the "apron" ($4 million above the tax level) after the trade1, 2.
                  Starting in 2013-14, the team cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade if they have used the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (see question number 25) that season.1
                  The trade must be completed prior to the first game of the regular season (sign-and-trades are not allowed once the season begins).
                  The player cannot be signed using the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, or any exception that cannot be used to offer a three-year contract (see question number 25).
                  NON-BIRD EXCEPTION -- This is also a component of the Veteran Free Agent exception. Its name is somewhat of a misnomer, since Non-Bird really is a form of Bird rights. Players who qualify for this exception are called "Non-Qualifying Veteran Free Agents" in the CBA. They are veteran free agents who are neither Qualifying Veteran Free Agents nor Early Qualifying Veteran Free Agents, and include the following:

Players who finished the season with a given team, who have played no more than one season without clearing waivers or changing teams as a free agent.
                  Players who were Early Bird free agents, but whose team renounced its right to use the Early Bird exception to re-sign the player.
                  Players who were to be Larry Bird or Early Bird free agents, were playing on one-year contracts, and were traded mid-season.

This exception allows a team to re-sign its own free agent to a salary starting at up to 120% of his salary in the previous season2 (not over the maximum salary, of course), 120% of the minimum salary, or the amount needed to tender a qualifying offer (if the player is a restricted free agent -- see question number 43), whichever is greater. Raises are limited to 4.5% of the salary in the first year of the contract, and contracts are limited to four seasons when this exception is used.

A partial season counts as a full season for the tenure calculation related to Bird rights. If a team signs another team's free agent to a rest-of-season contract mid-way through the season, then at the end of that season the player is a non-Bird free agent.

Starting January 10 of each season, this exception begins to reduce in value. See question number 26 for details.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

Comment

Ah yes, it seems you're right. I totally forgot about the non-bird exception.

So then the next question would be matching salary. Something like Landry + Rush for Bargnani might work. And Rush takes the role of injured-for-pretty-much-the-whole-season wing player, which will be left vacant after we amnesty Kleiza. But you never know, maybe Rush gets healthy, in which case he's a tolerable one year contract.

My guess is that the Warriors value their massive 2014 cap space to much too take on a big contract that runs to summer of 2015. But you never know.
                    Last edited by octothorp; Tue Mar 12, 2013, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't mind Landry but I want us to pursue elton brand as well. He's the type of veteran big we need

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                        I wouldn't mind Landry but I want us to pursue elton brand as well. He's the type of veteran big we need
                        He doesn't start anymore and plays just 20mins per game (which is consistent with before and after Dirk return).

He is 34 yesterday (Happy Belated Elton!).

He gets you 8pts and 6rebs.

I don't think EB comes to Toronto. After making well over $100M in his career, I would imagine contenders are the only teams getting calls through to EB this summer.

The Raptors still have a talent issue to address and at this stage of his career, EB is not it.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          He doesn't start anymore and plays just 20mins per game (which is consistent with before and after Dirk return).

He is 34 yesterday (Happy Belated Elton!).

He gets you 8pts and 6rebs.

I don't think EB comes to Toronto. After making well over $100M in his career, I would imagine contenders are the only teams getting calls through to EB this summer.

The Raptors still have a talent issue to address and at this stage of his career, EB is not it.
                          He was playing for Philly the last 2-3 seasons and they weren't contenders. I wouldn't count him out, he could really help this team with our rebounding and post scoring issues.

Comment

More than anything we need a PF that can pass and although I like Landry as a player I don't think he fits this role. As JV matures he will cover our post presence need and will become the player many are asking BC to get at the PF this summer.

If you look at our team now and going into the future with Lowry, Ross or Derozan, Gay, PF, and JV we don't have any players that are great passers and it really stagnates our offense causing too many ISOs and offense relying on shots coming off screens. It seems like Amir has been trying to play this passing role a little bit as of late but is a little out of his element and should stick to his bread and butter hustle plays.

I think a smart veteran player would suffice at PF for us next year. Can't really think of a player right now who is a free agent and fits the mold. Potentially through a trade... maybe we could go after Boris Diaw again (laugh all you want but he actually might not be that bad for us)
                            Last edited by Theshwa; Tue Mar 12, 2013, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Landry isn't as good a defender as amir, but his post game is significantly better. True he may be averaging just 11 and 6 this season, but he's playing behind David Lee. He is also averaging less minutes and fouls less than Amir. It would be great if we can get him as a backup 4

Comment

I've always liked tiago splitter. What would it take to pry him from San Antonio?

Comment

Working...
                                X