Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 110

Thread: Targeting Kelly Olynyk (Canadian) in the draft can be a good move

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Targeting Kelly Olynyk (Canadian) in the draft can be a good move

    Hey guys, first time ever posting here yet long time viewer. I was wondering what the republics thoughts would be of the raptors trying to trade into this draft and pick up Mr. Olynyk. I mean yeah we have the obvious argument that he is Canadian but along with this comes the fact that he is seemingly a very mature individual, as well it's hard to argue with his season numbers of 17.7 points, seven rebounds and almost two assists a game. For a center that shoots 66.8 percent from the field and an a cool 37.5 percent from three he is intriguing. Put all that together with him showing he has the capacity to learn and improve his game I'd think he could be an imposing feature with Jonas. Coachability, talent an hard work, sounds like a fan favourite with more upside that we've seen in the past( ala Reggie Evans). Any way cheers and thanks to any others to add to the conversation.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,068
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Lukreaum wrote: View Post
    Hey guys, first time ever posting here yet long time viewer. I was wondering what the republics thoughts would be of the raptors trying to trade into this draft and pick up Mr. Olynyk. I mean yeah we have the obvious argument that he is Canadian but along with this comes the fact that he is seemingly a very mature individual, as well it's hard to argue with his season numbers of 17.7 points, seven rebounds and almost two assists a game. For a center that shoots 66.8 percent from the field and an a cool 37.5 percent from three he is intriguing. Put all that together with him showing he has the capacity to learn and improve his game I'd think he could be an imposing feature with Jonas. Coachability, talent an hard work, sounds like a fan favourite with more upside that we've seen in the past( ala Reggie Evans). Any way cheers and thanks to any others to add to the conversation.
    Welcome Lukreaum. Hopefully this isn't your last contribution :P

    I haven't heard too much on Olynyk, but apparently he is a solid player, something of a Tristan Thompson mold. Just what I've heard. To be honest, since my Kentucky Wildcats haven't been up to par this year, I've taken a laid back approach to college ball.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,193
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm sure the Raptors would like to get him but getting a pick in the 14-20 spots this season isn't that simple.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know...I've heard concerns about how he translates to the NBA. He is apparently not a very strong rebounder and a shitty help defender...these are things I never want to see again, especially in combo, in a Raptors big man. Obviously things are never certain wiht a young player, but if he struggles to do those things in college, can't bode well for the NBA.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Olynyk is a great college player. He has been so productive at posting up the typical slow footed college 6'9" center with great foot work and soft hands that has him with the highest player efficiency rating in the whole NCAA.

    His skills may not translate so well to the NBA's with the bigger, more athletic bigs. He's a lot like Christian Laettner in my mind. I think he'll be a bench player. Kelly's soon going to be 22, about the same age as Tristan Thompson and a year older than JV.

    I remember that a thinner, 19 year old KO dropped 14 points on Boris Diaw in an international game.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I don't know...I've heard concerns about how he translates to the NBA. He is apparently not a very strong rebounder and a shitty help defender...these are things I never want to see again, especially in combo, in a Raptors big man. Obviously things are never certain wiht a young player, but if he struggles to do those things in college, can't bode well for the NBA.
    Gonzaga is excellent on defense this year. Olynyk has been solid in this area, good help defender at the college level with twice as many blocks as the power forward Elias Harris, also a strong defender.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I don't know...I've heard concerns about how he translates to the NBA. He is apparently not a very strong rebounder and a shitty help defender...these are things I never want to see again, especially in combo, in a Raptors big man. Obviously things are never certain wiht a young player, but if he struggles to do those things in college, can't bode well for the NBA.
    I can see where that concern can come from but in college Kelly has only been playing 25.6 MPG and still averaging the 7 rebounds. His Per 40 min numbers get him at 10.9 RPG and he seems coachable, paired with a rebounding and blocking center like Jonas (along with this new blocks that end up in defending teams hands) I think he could be driven to improve in this area. Just my thoughts, always excited for Canada basketball and the raptors improving.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,012
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think he'll find an NBA career as a floor-spacing big. With the way the NBA is going, that's a skillset that will always get you a look. It used to be a rarity, now it seems like every team wants one floor-spacing big, not necessarily in the starting lineup but at least off the bench. And he's made tremendous strides in the other elements of his game (post-up, rebounding, defense) since red-shirting for a year. These skills aren't at an NBA level yet, but they're miles ahead of where they were a couple years ago, and should continue to grow with the right coach. From what I've seen, rebounding in particular is solid. A below-average leaper, but positionally solid, keeps his man away from the hoop with his solid frame. And he's certainly not disinterested in these elements of the game. Awareness on defense leaves a lot to be desired.

    Is he a good fit for the Raptors? I don't know, I don't see him as being a potential starter, but more of a high floor, low ceiling guy. And I'd rather see the Raptors trade into the draft to go after a guy that think could be a really special impact player. I think he'd be a better fit on a team that's looking to just add some scoring depth to their bench. Of teams drafting in the 15-25 area, I think Chicago would be a good fit for him, as his game would be a good compliment to the players they already have, and Thibodeau could work with him on his weaknesses.

  9. Like drizz liked this post
  10. #9
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Lukreaum wrote: View Post
    I can see where that concern can come from but in college Kelly has only been playing 25.6 MPG and still averaging the 7 rebounds. His Per 40 min numbers get him at 10.9 RPG and he seems coachable, paired with a rebounding and blocking center like Jonas (along with this new blocks that end up in defending teams hands) I think he could be driven to improve in this area. Just my thoughts, always excited for Canada basketball and the raptors improving.
    7 rpg, even in just 25.6 mpg, is not that impressive for a guy who is almost always the biggest player on the floor when he's out there. I have not read one thing about him that doesn't mention concerns about things like foot speed, explosiveness, ability to play at/above the rim....He sounds like it'll be a huge adjustment physically for him to come to the NBA. I'd say hoping for a Christian Laettner type would be high hopes....I'm thinking more like Spencer Hawes with a slightly better post game hopefully, and possibly a worse defender...

  11. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    7 rpg, even in just 25.6 mpg, is not that impressive for a guy who is almost always the biggest player on the floor when he's out there. I have not read one thing about him that doesn't mention concerns about things like foot speed, explosiveness, ability to play at/above the rim....He sounds like it'll be a huge adjustment physically for him to come to the NBA. I'd say hoping for a Christian Laettner type would be high hopes....I'm thinking more like Spencer Hawes with a slightly better post game hopefully, and possibly a worse defender...
    Christian Laettner had career averages of 5.3 ppg and 2.7 rpg. That's not such a lofty projection for KO's NBA future. Spencer Hawes NBA stats are much better than Laettner. 8.8 ppg and 5.9 rpg. Remember that Laettner was a college game star and a NBA bench warmer.

  12. #11
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    Christian Laettner had career averages of 5.3 ppg and 2.7 rpg. That's not such a lofty projection for KO's NBA future. Spencer Hawes NBA stats are much better than Laettner. 8.8 ppg and 5.9 rpg. Remember that Laettner was a college game star and a NBA bench warmer.
    Did you watch ball in the 90s??? Laettner was sidetracked by injuries, but was an excellent big until that happened. Obviously not dominant like he was in college, but a solid starter who even made an all-star game as a reserve...his years until he blew out his achilles:
    18.2, 8.7
    16.8, 8.6
    16.3, 7.6
    16.4, 7.3
    18.4, 8.8
    13.8, 6.6

    and then they drop off dramatically...A torn Achilles is a very difficult injury for especially a big to bounce back from. Spencer Hawes isn't half the player Laettner was before his injuries. Looking at career averages is just nonsense..

    Laettner's stats.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...laettch01.html

  13. #12
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,320
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Good video of him:

    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  14. Like blackjitsu liked this post
  15. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    717
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I say he's a Nick Collision type of player in the NBA, at best.

  16. #14
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,388
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Casey Jones, is that you???

    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  17. Like Blacklash2k4 liked this post
  18. #15
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    I say he's a Nick Collision type of player in the NBA, at best.
    That's not a bad comparison either. Though Collison plays well at PF. I don't see Olnyk being very good there.

  19. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,047
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Actually, he reminds me somewhat of Bargnani with a much better inside game and more toughness (although it's not too difficult to be tougher than Bargs). With his inside game and range he will definitely carve out a career in the NBA, at the very least as a bench big. Pretty safe pick in the lower 1st round.

  20. #17
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Olynyk has a connections to the Raptors through his parents.

    http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/b...922/story.html

    In Toronto, Kelly played age-group basketball with Tristan Thompson (the fourth overall pick in the 2011 NBA draft, by Cleveland), his mother, Arlene, was a scorekeeper for the Toronto Raptors and his dad spent a year on sabbatical as a visiting coach and scout with the NBA team, then coached by Lenny Wilkens.

  21. #18
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,320
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh yeah, meant to add this earlier today as well:

    SPOKANE — While Gonzaga was generating a 26-win season and another NCAA tournament appearance a year ago, something remarkable was taking place in a room nearby, something that could rock college hoops in 2012-13.

    Kelly Olynyk, and tennis balls.

    Olynyk's is a story almost unheard-of in today's college basketball, where patience and perseverance have gone the way of the set shot. Nobody does what he did, and if you think that's overstating it, well, more on that later.

    http://seattletimes.com/html/gonzaga...f3g1iY.twitter
    The read is worth the click.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  22. #19
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,925
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like his college game, but neither his body nor athleticism look like they can make it in the NBA. He seems like the kind of guy players will go out of their way to dunk on. Hopefully I'm wrong though, I'd like to see him do well. Either way, we're gonna have a pretty dope national team in five years.

  23. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,379
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If he is a legit 7 feet he's definitely worth a look. Not sure he can play the 4 (that's already been said). What little I know about him is that he is a hard worker. And the vid MAtt posted shows a talented kid who needs to add strength (not size) and do some video study. Tons of players survive in the league with games below the rim. If he can leverage his skills he could be a bench player for years to come. Should the Raps consider him? Sure. Especially if he measures well. The Raps current third C is Gray, and the less Amir has to play the 5, the less wear on his body.

    Question is, what would they have to give up to get that pick? We can assume that if Bryan is making that move he'll throw in a 2nd round pick for no reason...so Acy, the rights to whatever mystery Euro we have and a 2nd rounder? The rights to Sonny Weems and a 2nd rounder? Thoughts?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •