Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Targeting Kelly Olynyk (Canadian) in the draft can be a good move

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He has the highest PER in the NCAA right now. Solid player but Raps don't need another 5.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

He would be a good backup C behind Valanciunas; however I don't think he can play PF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tenforthewin wrote: View Post
    He would be a good backup C behind Valanciunas; however I don't think he can play PF.
    Yeah me neither. Right now Draftexpress has him at 14. If you're gonna give something up for a lottery pick why would it be a backup center when the raps already have JV?
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Before this year Olynyk used to play power forward at Gonzaga and sometimes shooting forward. In high school he was a guard at one time. His role in the Bulldogs current offence is interchangeable with Elias Harris. They mainly work the high low to great effect with KO and Harris playing the entry position or the low post. At times Olynyk is on the floor with the 7 foot 1, 305 pound Karnowski.

I think number 14 in the lottery is a reach for KO. Gonzaga's performance in the NCAA tournament will determine whether the Bulldogs and Olynyk are over rated or not. He could decide to play another year of NCAA hoops even though he has graduated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Lukreaum wrote: View Post
    Hey guys, first time ever posting here yet long time viewer. I was wondering what the republics thoughts would be of the raptors trying to trade into this draft and pick up Mr. Olynyk. I mean yeah we have the obvious argument that he is Canadian but along with this comes the fact that he is seemingly a very mature individual, as well it's hard to argue with his season numbers of 17.7 points, seven rebounds and almost two assists a game. For a center that shoots 66.8 percent from the field and an a cool 37.5 percent from three he is intriguing. Put all that together with him showing he has the capacity to learn and improve his game I'd think he could be an imposing feature with Jonas. Coachability, talent an hard work, sounds like a fan favourite with more upside that we've seen in the past( ala Reggie Evans). Any way cheers and thanks to any others to add to the conversation.
    Ask yourself this: When have the Raptors ever targeted a player so specifically that they're willing to buy a pick, negotiate with other teams around them to get a feel of what they're doing, and then select that player? Never. We aren't the San Antonio Spurs or one of those clubs that works the draft. We basically pick where we are, or trade the pick.

Drafting/targeting players requires a serious amount of effort, research, coordination, and skill, none of which the Raptors draft team has. They pick where they're slotted, no more no less. At most, they'll switch second-round picks or something to save some money here and there.

Besides, I don't think BC views adding a rookie as a step towards making the playoffs. He's probably glad he doesn't have a pick this year.

6. Like Michel G, ReubenJRD, Nilanka liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am hoping that BC has NO say in future roster moves. I think we will learn his fate soon after the last regular season game on April 17.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    He has the highest PER in the NCAA right now. Solid player but Raps don't need another 5.
    Sorry, not to pick on you specifically, but there needs to be some kind of forum filter that automatically deletes posts that contain the phrase... the "Raps don't need" as it pertains to the draft. This kind of 'draft for need' thinking is why we now have posts saying we should have traded Terrence Ross, the so-called guy we drafted 'for need' instead of Drummond, who we actually could use right now or traded instead of Ed Davis.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    Ask yourself this: When have the Raptors ever targeted a player so specifically that they're willing to buy a pick, negotiate with other teams around them to get a feel of what they're doing, and then select that player? Never. We aren't the San Antonio Spurs or one of those clubs that works the draft. We basically pick where we are, or trade the pick.

Drafting/targeting players requires a serious amount of effort, research, coordination, and skill, none of which the Raptors draft team has. They pick where they're slotted, no more no less. At most, they'll switch second-round picks or something to save some money here and there.

Besides, I don't think BC views adding a rookie as a step towards making the playoffs. He's probably glad he doesn't have a pick this year.
    And lest we forget that the best player drafted in the Bargnani draft was a purchased pick (Rondo from PHX).

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The only Canadians I would want joining the team from the NCAA is Anthony Bennett and Myck Kabongo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    The only Canadians I would want joining the team from the NCAA is Anthony Bennett and Myck Kabongo.
    What about Dwight Powell, 6'10' from Stanford (Toronto native), one of the top players in the Pac 12? Check out the dunk he had today against Arizona State at the 0:30 mark in this highlight video: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=330720024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    What about Dwight Powell, 6'10' from Stanford (Toronto native), one of the top players in the Pac 12? Check out the dunk he had today against Arizona State at the 0:30 mark in this highlight video: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=330720024

Nope

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No offence to Kelly Olynyk who's having a great year. But if the Raps were to trade for a 1st round pick this year the guy that i would take is Myck Kabongo OR Kevin Pangos(if he declare). Pangos would be my first choice though.

Speaking of Kevin Pangos, i know we don't have a chance of drafting Andrew Wiggins next year. But Pangos is the guy that i would love the Raps to trade for in this year's draft or next year(whenever he comes out). He's a big time player.

Another PG that i would love the Raps to target whether he comes out this year or next year is Aaron Craft.
    Last edited by TRex; Thu Mar 14th, 2013 at 03:54 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Post Thanks / Like

Kabongo had another good game in the Big 12 tournament last night. Texas has to run the table in the conference tournament to make it to the big dance.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9051277

Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Sorry, not to pick on you specifically, but there needs to be some kind of forum filter that automatically deletes posts that contain the phrase... the "Raps don't need" as it pertains to the draft. This kind of 'draft for need' thinking is why we now have posts saying we should have traded Terrence Ross, the so-called guy we drafted 'for need' instead of Drummond, who we actually could use right now or traded instead of Ed Davis.
    Ok let's put some context on that. If it was Noel, I would say sure, draft that guy in a second. But drafting a late lottery pick on a 5 doesn't make sense to me.

You bring up Drummond as an example. He will probably have a better career than Ross, but I wouldn't guarantee it. The thing is the Pistons have the same problem though. As of right now Drummond and Monroe have terrible adjusted +/- when they play together because they're too big and play the same position.

Edit: It's not even that I would be totally against drafting this dude. It's more that the RAps would have to give something up to get a pick for someone that would back up JV.
    Last edited by Employee; Thu Mar 14th, 2013 at 11:15 AM.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post

This is part of the reason why firing BC isn't enough. The organization needs a complete and total house cleaning from the GM down to the mailroom guys. Honestly, I've said this before, if I came in as the new GM I would fire every senior management person and every middle management person on the basketball operations side. The stink of losing and failure associated with this organization is too strong and too many of the people who have contributed to it are still around. It's not just Colangelo.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    This is part of the reason why firing BC isn't enough. The organization needs a complete and total house cleaning from the GM down to the mailroom guys. Honestly, I've said this before, if I came in as the new GM I would fire every senior management person and every middle management person on the basketball operations side. The stink of losing and failure associated with this organization is too strong and too many of the people who have contributed to it are still around. It's not just Colangelo.
    Just look at the single season turnaround my beloved Habs have done. Axe the coach. Axe the GM. And voila, a conference leader
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Myck Kabongo will be playing tonight against Kansas State in the BIG12 tourney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Just look at the single season turnaround my beloved Habs have done. Axe the coach. Axe the GM. And voila, a conference leader
    To a lesser extent the Leafs are showing that too. Sometimes the right people are there but they are being stymied by who's at the top.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    Ok let's put some context on that. If it was Noel, I would say sure, draft that guy in a second. But drafting a late lottery pick on a 5 doesn't make sense to me.

You bring up Drummond as an example. He will probably have a better career than Ross, but I wouldn't guarantee it. The thing is the Pistons have the same problem though. As of right now Drummond and Monroe have terrible adjusted +/- when they play together because they're too big and play the same position.

Edit: It's not even that I would be totally against drafting this dude. It's more that the RAps would have to give something up to get a pick for someone that would back up JV.
    I hear what you're saying and fully respect your position. But the notion that a perennial draft lottery team without any bonafide all-star has any other need than the best talent available seems ludicrous to me. So even hypothetically speaking that Monroe and Drummond can't co-exist (although it's very early to judge that), don't you think that both of those guys are highly valued trade commodities that can be easily flipped for a 'need'?

I mean the Raps have already done this. Babcock drafted Charlie V, even when the Raps had an all-star PF (Bosh). CV actually had a good enough rookie year to become valuable enough asset to trade for a 'need', TJ Ford, who was considered a pretty good player at the time. Then immediately, they draft yet another PF, Bargs, who can't play with anybody. Still, up until this season, Bargs could have fetched a nice 'need' piece, yet for BC's man crush.

The Terrence Ross pick is so disappointing from the 'drafting for need' standpoint. I recall Casey being interviewed right after the draft. He looked so contented, saying stuff along the lines of, 'Ross is a shooter and we need shooting'. This is in my mind as a watch Ross airball a shot past the rim, and miss wide open threes consistently.
    Last edited by golden; Fri Mar 15th, 2013 at 09:26 AM.

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

theres no way this kid could relieve amir in any way. from what we know and have seen of him, his rebounding skills suck for a 7 footer and he has no leap at all. looks like another bargnani to me.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information