Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 110

Thread: Targeting Kelly Olynyk (Canadian) in the draft can be a good move

  1. #41
    Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NORTHCOAST
    Posts
    1,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    I hear what you're saying and fully respect your position. But the notion that a perennial draft lottery team without any bonafide all-star has any other need than the best talent available seems ludicrous to me. So even hypothetically speaking that Monroe and Drummond can't co-exist (although it's very early to judge that), don't you think that both of those guys are highly valued trade commodities that can be easily flipped for a 'need'?

    I mean the Raps have already done this. Babcock drafted Charlie V, even when the Raps had an all-star PF (Bosh). CV actually had a good enough rookie year to become valuable enough asset to trade for a 'need', TJ Ford, who was considered a pretty good player at the time. Then immediately, they draft yet another PF, Bargs, who can't play with anybody. Still, up until this season, Bargs could have fetched a nice 'need' piece, yet for BC's man crush.

    The Terrence Ross pick is so disappointing from the 'drafting for need' standpoint. I recall Casey being interviewed right after the draft. He looked so contented, saying stuff along the lines of, 'Ross is a shooter and we need shooting'. This is in my mind as a watch Ross airball a shot past the rim, and miss wide open threes consistently.
    I agree on some level. You hear GM's say all the time that they're gonna draft the best player available. And I think that should be the rule (there's exceptions) for most picks in the top ten. The thing is the lines get fuzzy after the top ten and fifteen picks. It's going to be a combination of both. After the 15th pick it's not so clear who the top picks are.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

  2. #42
    Raptors Republic All-Star stretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Excerpt from Chad Ford's chat in the NBA draft pertaining to Olynyk:

    Brandon (Fl)


    why is kelly olynyk not in your top 10,and what does he have to do

    Chad Ford (1:22 PM)


    He's at No. 15 on our Big Board and rising. Scouts want to see him play against better competition than what Gonzaga typically faced in the WCC. He'll get his chance in the NCAA Tournament. If he's as efficient there as he was all season for Gonzaga, I think he'll end up being a Top 10 pick.
    http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/47360

  3. #43
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Are people seriously saying they'd take Kabongo or Pangos over KO?? Unreal. KO is one of 5 players likely to be up for the Wooden Award. Which makes him a Top 5 Player in the NCAA ...

    From ESPN:
    Among Division I players this season, Olynyk has the highest Player Efficiency Rating (which is the overall rating of a player's per-minute statistical production) and ranks third in Win Shares (which estimates of the number of wins contributed by a player due to his offense and defense). Olynyk’s 8.6 Win Shares are the highest among the Wooden Award finalists.
    I'd KO over almost anyone else in the draft! Assuming Gonzaga has the type of tournament I expect them too, I see KO going in the Top 3 of this years Draft. No way we get KO.


    On a side note, NBADRAFT.net continues their trend of saying players are similar based solely off of how they look.
    Case and point, KO and Fabricio Oberto:
    Last edited by Joey; Mon Mar 18th, 2013 at 03:02 PM.
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

  4. #44
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Are people seriously saying they'd take Kabongo or Pangos over KO?? Unreal. KO is one of 5 players likely to be up for the Wooden Award. Which makes him a Top 5 Player in the NCAA ...



    I'd KO over almost anyone else in the draft! Assuming Gonzaga has the type of tournament I expect them too, I see KO going in the Top 3 of this years Draft. No way we get KO.


    On a side note, NBADRAFT.net continues their trend of saying players are similar based solely off of how they look.
    Case and point, KO and Fabricio Oberto:
    There have been a lot of notable Wooden award winners in the past (including Bird, Robinson and Jordon), but over the past 10 years, the award has also been given to Jameer Nelson, JJ Reddick, Tyler Hansborough, Evan Turner and Jimmer Fredette.

    Sometimes great college careers don't translate into great NBA careers.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  5. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
  6. #45
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    59
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Pick Olynyk would be a stupid move, first we already got Jonas Valanciunas, second we don't have the pick we have to trade for the pick, what Raptors truly need at this point is one more young, promising starting point guard (Damian Lillard like) which I believe both Kabongo and Mccollum has the potential to become, and then veterans. We need an all star caliber veteran that has low post and rebounding that gives you 15+8 very night, best example is Al Horford, not only gives you an anchor in the middle and also would have a profound influence on Jonas Valanciunas's development. I would trade lowry+bargnani+ross for Horford.

  7. #46
    Raptors Republic All-Star stretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Raptors could use a super hero in the lineup.



  8. #47
    Raptors Republic All-Star TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The only Cdn player that i would take ahead of Pangos is Wiggins.
    Follow me on Twitter - @RRyan22

  9. #48
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    There have been a lot of notable Wooden award winners in the past (including Bird, Robinson and Jordon), but over the past 10 years, the award has also been given to Jameer Nelson, JJ Reddick, Tyler Hansborough, Evan Turner and Jimmer Fredette.

    Sometimes great college careers don't translate into great NBA careers.
    Fair enough. But I guess not mentioning Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin and Anthony Davis in that list was convenient? :P Lol

    And I'm not saying we should take KO. Far from it. But if given the choice between taking him, Pangos or Kabongo, I'd certainly think long and hard about taking the 7-Footer with legit game.
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

  10. #49
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,795
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    he reminds me of Jay from Clerks



    so obviously... i want him on the team

  11. #50
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,918
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    he reminds me of Jay from Clerks



    so obviously... i want him on the team
    fixed

  12. #51
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,795
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i cant figure out what you fixed.... but, thanks?

  13. #52
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,918
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    i cant figure out what you fixed.... but, thanks?
    The picture isn't visible in your post; at least for me.

  14. #53
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    3,577
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Fair enough. But I guess not mentioning Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin and Anthony Davis in that list was convenient? :P Lol

    And I'm not saying we should take KO. Far from it. But if given the choice between taking him, Pangos or Kabongo, I'd certainly think long and hard about taking the 7-Footer with legit game.
    All those player are athletic. After Adam Morrison I would not take another chance on a skilled player missing NBA acthelism.

  15. #54
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    All those player are athletic. After Adam Morrison I would not take another chance on a skilled player missing NBA acthelism.
    Who says Olynyk is lacking athleticism? For a guy of his size, I'd say he's plenty athletic.

    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

  16. #55
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Fair enough. But I guess not mentioning Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin and Anthony Davis in that list was convenient? :P Lol

    And I'm not saying we should take KO. Far from it. But if given the choice between taking him, Pangos or Kabongo, I'd certainly think long and hard about taking the 7-Footer with legit game.
    It wasn't a convenient omission (I figured Jordan and Bird were better examples).

    Either way, the point still remains that the Wooden award (or in this case, simply being nominated) isn't enough to conclude that a successful NBA career awaits.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  17. #56
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Either way, the point still remains that the Wooden award (or in this case, simply being nominated) isn't enough to conclude that a successful NBA career awaits.
    It'll look better on a resume than anything either Kabongo or Pangos have offered up ...
    As will his WCC Player of the Year.

    Once again, don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Kabongo fan and he's still got a chance, but he realistically hasn't done ANYTHING to show us he is going to have a successful NBA career; at least KO has proven himself a daily-difference maker, and is the #1 Player on the #1 Ranked Team in the Country.
    Last edited by Joey; Tue Mar 19th, 2013 at 12:29 PM.
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

  18. #57
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    3,577
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Who says Olynyk is lacking athleticism? For a guy of his size, I'd say he's plenty athletic.

    Really? He just barely got that dunk over the rim. Andrea would put this dude to shame.

  19. #58
    Raptors Republic All-Star stretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Kabongo's play this year in just 5 games (he's again playing tonight) has shown improvement in all areas against some stiff competition as the games were all Big 12 Conference games. He has NBA promise as he is naturally fast with long arms so he is a safe bet to go in the first round this year considering the level of talent in a weak draft.

  20. #59
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    3,577
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    It'll look better on a resume than anything either Kabongo or Pangos have offered up ...
    As will his WCC Player of the Year.

    Once again, don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Kabongo fan and he's still got a chance, but he realistically hasn't done ANYTHING to show us he is going to have a successful NBA career; at least KO has proven himself a daily-difference maker, and is the #1 Player on the #1 Ranked Team in the Country.
    Neither did Russell Westbrook.

  21. #60
    Raptors Republic All-Star stretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Really? He just barely got that dunk over the rim. Andrea would put this dude to shame.
    Olynyk was obviously fouled going to the rim though no call was made.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •