Targeting Kelly Olynyk (Canadian) in the draft can be a good move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stretch wrote: View Post
    Olynyk was obviously fouled going to the rim though no call was made.
    Just watching his highlights you can tell his ain't average athlete at best..
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

If Gonzaga and Pitt meet in the second round, which would be on Saturday, it will be interesting to see how KO does against New Zealander Steven Adams who is bigger and more athletic than Olynyk but not as skilled. Pitt excels at defense while Gonzaga is very efficient on offense.
      Last edited by stretch; Tue Mar 19, 2013, 02:47 PM.

Comment

People also have to realize that the WCC is a pretty weak conference compared like the ACC, B10, B12, Big East even Pac12
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          Neither did Russell Westbrook.
          Neither did Russell Westbrook what? I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Guys, I've said a few times now, but I don't think its getting across; I'm not trying to say anything against Kabongo. He's a stud. Nothing but compliments for the kid.

But you'd be hard pressed to find any GM in the NBA who, if given the choice, is going to take Kabongo or Pangos over KO. Maybe 1 out of 30. Maybe.

Just watching his highlights you can tell his ain't average athlete at best..
          Have you watched him play at all? He doesn't rely on Athleticisn one bit.
          Athleticism like Dwight Howard or DeAndre Jordan is not a requirement for a Centers in the NBA.
          Especially with skilled, fundamentally sound Centers like KO.
          Last edited by Joey; Tue Mar 19, 2013, 03:07 PM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            Neither did Russell Westbrook, what? I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Guys I'm not trying to say anything against Kabongo. He's a stud. Nothing but compliments for the kid.
            But you'd be hard pressed to find any GM in the NBA who, if given the choice, is going to take Kabongo or Pangos over KO. Those are facts.
            I'm just just that Russel Westbrook barely averaged 10 points his last year but, cause of his physical gifts his a star in the NBA. College and NBA are too different games! If your a guard in college and you don't have a jumper you will not dominate. As is the NBA where you can't touch a guard on the perimeter. That's why I feel like Myck will rise in the draft workouts. Will ultimately have the better career.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Neither did Russell Westbrook what? I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Guys, I've said a few times now, but I don't think its getting across; I'm not trying to say anything against Kabongo. He's a stud. Nothing but compliments for the kid.

But you'd be hard pressed to find any GM in the NBA who, if given the choice, is going to take Kabongo or Pangos over KO. Maybe 1 out of 30. Maybe.

Athleticism like Dwight Howard or DeAndre Jordan is not a requirement for a Centers in the NBA.
              Especially with skilled, fundamentally sound Centers like KO.
              I'm just saying his probably played against another 7 footer maybe a handful of a time. Which in the NBA happens every night. I just want to see him do against NBA caliber centers. He plays in the WCC.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I'm just just that Russel Westbrook barely averaged 10 points his last year but, cause of his physical gifts his a star in the NBA. College and NBA are too different games! If your a guard in college and you don't have a jumper you will not dominate. As is the NBA where you can't touch a guard on the perimeter. That's why I feel like Myck will rise in the draft workouts. Will ultimately have the better career.
                Fair points, and I agree with most of what you said.
                Like I said, I'm a big fan of Kabongo, and I'd hate for that to get lost in this discussion. I'm pretty sure I was even one of the first people to bring his name up on the boards a few years back.

None of that changes the fact that KO is, in my opinion, going to be a very special player.
                I'd certainly take him over Tristan Thompson, and I loved Thompson coming out of Texas.

I'm just saying his probably played against another 7 footer maybe a handful of a time. Which in the NBA happens every night. I just want to see him do against NBA caliber centers. He plays in the WCC.
                Fair points. His rebounding does need some work, but I think he'll be solid at the 4/5.

Comment

People also have to realize that the WCC is a pretty weak conference compared like the ACC, B10, B12, Big East even Pac12
                  Gonzaga was 5 wins and zero losses against Big 12 teams this year including tournament teams Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Baylor and Oklahoma. Only the road game at Oklahoma State was close.

Comment

Especially with skilled, fundamentally sound Centers like KO
                    ???

If you look at all the great centers in the NBA the last 20 years. Olajuwon, Shaq, Ewing, Robinson, Mourning, Mutombo, Howard, and Sabonis..maybe i missed a couple of more. Yes all these guys are very skilled but they're also very athletic. Sabonis is the only exception. Not the most athletic guy in the world but is very smart and has TONS of skill.

There are some very good centers not great that rely on skill and smarts alone like a Divac or a M. Gasol or Bogut. I don't Olynyk is in that level either.

No offense to the kid but in the NBA he'll be nothing more than a backup big.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

KO played everyday for 3 years against 7 footer Robert Sacre who now warms the bench for the Lakers.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                        KO played everyday for 3 years against 7 footer Robert Sacre who now warms the bench for the Lakers.
                        Exactly that's barely NBA caliber.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Exactly that's barely NBA caliber.
                          But you said 7 footer, not specifying NBA caliber what degree of NBA caliber.

Comment

No I said both. Read it again.
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Good scouting vid on KO from DX:

*sorry didn't see Matt posted this .. I swear I looked through and didn't see it!

I don't think this conversation is really going anywhere though to be honest.
                              I look at KO and see a 7-footer with ridiculous coordination, incredible IQ, ability to play with his back to the basket, and amazing touch around and away from the basket. Those are things that translate.

His lack of vertical is pretty evident after this vid as well, I'll admit, but I think thats more due to the fact that he's still getting his legs under him after a massive growth spurt only a couple years ago, and after putting on ALOT of weight over the last year.
                              Still, that touch around the rim (75% on shots at the rim) is something you can't teach, and somethign he's clearly picked up to compensate for his lack of ability to jump over people.
                              But ya .. white man can't jump.

Anyway, I just thought it strange that people are, for lack of a better word, bashing on a Homegrown kid who is on the verge of being named the MVP of the NCAA.
                              I also found it especially weird that they'd take Pangos over Olynyk.
                              Kabongo to a lesser degree as I understand, and feel, the love for Myck.

Pangos is great for what he is, but KO has proven game in and game out that he is one of the best, if not THE best Amateur basketball player in North America.
                              Last edited by Joey; Tue Mar 19, 2013, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Good scouting vid on KO from DX:

I don't think this conversation is really going anywhere though to be honest.
                                I look at KO and see a 7-footer with ridiculous coordination, incredible IQ, ability to play with his back to the basket, and amazing touch around and away from the basket. Those are things that translate.

His lack of vertical is pretty evident after this vid as well, I'll admit, but I think thats more due to the fact that he's still getting his legs under him after a massive growth spurt only a couple years ago, and after putting on ALOT of weight over the last year.
                                Still, that touch around the rim (75% on shots at the rim) is something you can't teach, and somethign he's clearly picked up to compensate for his lack of ability to jump over people.
                                But ya .. white man can't jump.

Anyway, I just thought it strange that people are, for lack of a better word, bashing on a Homegrown kid who is on the verge of being named the MVP of the NCAA.
                                I also found it especially weird that they'd take Pangos over Olynyk.
                                Kabongo to a lesser degree as I understand, and feel, the love for Myck.

Pangos is great for what he is, but KO has proven game in and game out that he is one of the best, if not THE best Amateur basketball player in North America.
                                I agreed. Like I've played against Kevin. Nothing blows you away about him. His just a really fundamentally sound player. I don't really understand the whole love a round him. Muck on the other hand is lighting quick with a tight handle. Really good intangibles as well. If came down to Canadians I would go AB, MK, KO. I don't even think Pangos would get drafted in this years draft.
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X