Targeting Kelly Olynyk (Canadian) in the draft can be a good move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stretch wrote: View Post
    What about Dwight Powell, 6'10' from Stanford (Toronto native), one of the top players in the Pac 12? Check out the dunk he had today against Arizona State at the 0:30 mark in this highlight video: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=330720024

Nope
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

No offence to Kelly Olynyk who's having a great year. But if the Raps were to trade for a 1st round pick this year the guy that i would take is Myck Kabongo OR Kevin Pangos(if he declare). Pangos would be my first choice though.

Speaking of Kevin Pangos, i know we don't have a chance of drafting Andrew Wiggins next year. But Pangos is the guy that i would love the Raps to trade for in this year's draft or next year(whenever he comes out). He's a big time player.

Another PG that i would love the Raps to target whether he comes out this year or next year is Aaron Craft.
      Last edited by The Great One; Thu Mar 14, 2013, 03:54 AM.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

Kabongo had another good game in the Big 12 tournament last night. Texas has to run the table in the conference tournament to make it to the big dance.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9051277

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
          Sorry, not to pick on you specifically, but there needs to be some kind of forum filter that automatically deletes posts that contain the phrase... the "Raps don't need" as it pertains to the draft. This kind of 'draft for need' thinking is why we now have posts saying we should have traded Terrence Ross, the so-called guy we drafted 'for need' instead of Drummond, who we actually could use right now or traded instead of Ed Davis.
          Ok let's put some context on that. If it was Noel, I would say sure, draft that guy in a second. But drafting a late lottery pick on a 5 doesn't make sense to me.

You bring up Drummond as an example. He will probably have a better career than Ross, but I wouldn't guarantee it. The thing is the Pistons have the same problem though. As of right now Drummond and Monroe have terrible adjusted +/- when they play together because they're too big and play the same position.

Edit: It's not even that I would be totally against drafting this dude. It's more that the RAps would have to give something up to get a pick for someone that would back up JV.
          Last edited by Employee; Thu Mar 14, 2013, 11:15 AM.
          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
            Ask yourself this: When have the Raptors ever targeted a player so specifically that they're willing to buy a pick, negotiate with other teams around them to get a feel of what they're doing, and then select that player? Never. We aren't the San Antonio Spurs or one of those clubs that works the draft. We basically pick where we are, or trade the pick.

Drafting/targeting players requires a serious amount of effort, research, coordination, and skill, none of which the Raptors draft team has. They pick where they're slotted, no more no less. At most, they'll switch second-round picks or something to save some money here and there.

Besides, I don't think BC views adding a rookie as a step towards making the playoffs. He's probably glad he doesn't have a pick this year.
            This is part of the reason why firing BC isn't enough. The organization needs a complete and total house cleaning from the GM down to the mailroom guys. Honestly, I've said this before, if I came in as the new GM I would fire every senior management person and every middle management person on the basketball operations side. The stink of losing and failure associated with this organization is too strong and too many of the people who have contributed to it are still around. It's not just Colangelo.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
              This is part of the reason why firing BC isn't enough. The organization needs a complete and total house cleaning from the GM down to the mailroom guys. Honestly, I've said this before, if I came in as the new GM I would fire every senior management person and every middle management person on the basketball operations side. The stink of losing and failure associated with this organization is too strong and too many of the people who have contributed to it are still around. It's not just Colangelo.
              Just look at the single season turnaround my beloved Habs have done. Axe the coach. Axe the GM. And voila, a conference leader

Comment

Myck Kabongo will be playing tonight against Kansas State in the BIG12 tourney
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Just look at the single season turnaround my beloved Habs have done. Axe the coach. Axe the GM. And voila, a conference leader
                  To a lesser extent the Leafs are showing that too. Sometimes the right people are there but they are being stymied by who's at the top.

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                    Ok let's put some context on that. If it was Noel, I would say sure, draft that guy in a second. But drafting a late lottery pick on a 5 doesn't make sense to me.

You bring up Drummond as an example. He will probably have a better career than Ross, but I wouldn't guarantee it. The thing is the Pistons have the same problem though. As of right now Drummond and Monroe have terrible adjusted +/- when they play together because they're too big and play the same position.

Edit: It's not even that I would be totally against drafting this dude. It's more that the RAps would have to give something up to get a pick for someone that would back up JV.
                    I hear what you're saying and fully respect your position. But the notion that a perennial draft lottery team without any bonafide all-star has any other need than the best talent available seems ludicrous to me. So even hypothetically speaking that Monroe and Drummond can't co-exist (although it's very early to judge that), don't you think that both of those guys are highly valued trade commodities that can be easily flipped for a 'need'?

I mean the Raps have already done this. Babcock drafted Charlie V, even when the Raps had an all-star PF (Bosh). CV actually had a good enough rookie year to become valuable enough asset to trade for a 'need', TJ Ford, who was considered a pretty good player at the time. Then immediately, they draft yet another PF, Bargs, who can't play with anybody. Still, up until this season, Bargs could have fetched a nice 'need' piece, yet for BC's man crush.

The Terrence Ross pick is so disappointing from the 'drafting for need' standpoint. I recall Casey being interviewed right after the draft. He looked so contented, saying stuff along the lines of, 'Ross is a shooter and we need shooting'. This is in my mind as a watch Ross airball a shot past the rim, and miss wide open threes consistently.
                    Last edited by golden; Fri Mar 15, 2013, 09:26 AM.

Comment

theres no way this kid could relieve amir in any way. from what we know and have seen of him, his rebounding skills suck for a 7 footer and he has no leap at all. looks like another bargnani to me.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                        I hear what you're saying and fully respect your position. But the notion that a perennial draft lottery team without any bonafide all-star has any other need than the best talent available seems ludicrous to me. So even hypothetically speaking that Monroe and Drummond can't co-exist (although it's very early to judge that), don't you think that both of those guys are highly valued trade commodities that can be easily flipped for a 'need'?

I mean the Raps have already done this. Babcock drafted Charlie V, even when the Raps had an all-star PF (Bosh). CV actually had a good enough rookie year to become valuable enough asset to trade for a 'need', TJ Ford, who was considered a pretty good player at the time. Then immediately, they draft yet another PF, Bargs, who can't play with anybody. Still, up until this season, Bargs could have fetched a nice 'need' piece, yet for BC's man crush.

The Terrence Ross pick is so disappointing from the 'drafting for need' standpoint. I recall Casey being interviewed right after the draft. He looked so contented, saying stuff along the lines of, 'Ross is a shooter and we need shooting'. This is in my mind as a watch Ross airball a shot past the rim, and miss wide open threes consistently.
                        I agree on some level. You hear GM's say all the time that they're gonna draft the best player available. And I think that should be the rule (there's exceptions) for most picks in the top ten. The thing is the lines get fuzzy after the top ten and fifteen picks. It's going to be a combination of both. After the 15th pick it's not so clear who the top picks are.
                        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Excerpt from Chad Ford's chat in the NBA draft pertaining to Olynyk:

Brandon (Fl)

why is kelly olynyk not in your top 10,and what does he have to do

Chad Ford (1:22 PM)

He's at No. 15 on our Big Board and rising. Scouts want to see him play against better competition than what Gonzaga typically faced in the WCC. He'll get his chance in the NCAA Tournament. If he's as efficient there as he was all season for Gonzaga, I think he'll end up being a Top 10 pick.
                          http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/47360

Comment

Are people seriously saying they'd take Kabongo or Pangos over KO?? Unreal. KO is one of 5 players likely to be up for the Wooden Award. Which makes him a Top 5 Player in the NCAA ...

From ESPN:
                            Among Division I players this season, Olynyk has the highest Player Efficiency Rating (which is the overall rating of a player's per-minute statistical production) and ranks third in Win Shares (which estimates of the number of wins contributed by a player due to his offense and defense). Olynyk’s 8.6 Win Shares are the highest among the Wooden Award finalists.
                            I'd KO over almost anyone else in the draft! Assuming Gonzaga has the type of tournament I expect them too, I see KO going in the Top 3 of this years Draft. No way we get KO.

On a side note, NBADRAFT.net continues their trend of saying players are similar based solely off of how they look.
                            Case and point, KO and Fabricio Oberto:
                            Last edited by Joey; Mon Mar 18, 2013, 03:02 PM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              Are people seriously saying they'd take Kabongo or Pangos over KO?? Unreal. KO is one of 5 players likely to be up for the Wooden Award. Which makes him a Top 5 Player in the NCAA ...

I'd KO over almost anyone else in the draft! Assuming Gonzaga has the type of tournament I expect them too, I see KO going in the Top 3 of this years Draft. No way we get KO.

On a side note, NBADRAFT.net continues their trend of saying players are similar based solely off of how they look.
                              Case and point, KO and Fabricio Oberto:
                              There have been a lot of notable Wooden award winners in the past (including Bird, Robinson and Jordon), but over the past 10 years, the award has also been given to Jameer Nelson, JJ Reddick, Tyler Hansborough, Evan Turner and Jimmer Fredette.

Sometimes great college careers don't translate into great NBA careers.

Comment

Pick Olynyk would be a stupid move, first we already got Jonas Valanciunas, second we don't have the pick we have to trade for the pick, what Raptors truly need at this point is one more young, promising starting point guard (Damian Lillard like) which I believe both Kabongo and Mccollum has the potential to become, and then veterans. We need an all star caliber veteran that has low post and rebounding that gives you 15+8 very night, best example is Al Horford, not only gives you an anchor in the middle and also would have a profound influence on Jonas Valanciunas's development. I would trade lowry+bargnani+ross for Horford.

Comment

Working...
                                X