No announcement yet.

Targeting Kelly Olynyk (Canadian) in the draft can be a good move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, he reminds me somewhat of Bargnani with a much better inside game and more toughness (although it's not too difficult to be tougher than Bargs). With his inside game and range he will definitely carve out a career in the NBA, at the very least as a bench big. Pretty safe pick in the lower 1st round.

Comment

Olynyk has a connections to the Raptors through his parents.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/b...922/story.html

In Toronto, Kelly played age-group basketball with Tristan Thompson (the fourth overall pick in the 2011 NBA draft, by Cleveland), his mother, Arlene, was a scorekeeper for the Toronto Raptors and his dad spent a year on sabbatical as a visiting coach and scout with the NBA team, then coached by Lenny Wilkens.

Comment

Oh yeah, meant to add this earlier today as well:

SPOKANE — While Gonzaga was generating a 26-win season and another NCAA tournament appearance a year ago, something remarkable was taking place in a room nearby, something that could rock college hoops in 2012-13.

Kelly Olynyk, and tennis balls.

Olynyk's is a story almost unheard-of in today's college basketball, where patience and perseverance have gone the way of the set shot. Nobody does what he did, and if you think that's overstating it, well, more on that later.

http://seattletimes.com/html/gonzaga...f3g1iY.twitter
        The read is worth the click.

Comment

I like his college game, but neither his body nor athleticism look like they can make it in the NBA. He seems like the kind of guy players will go out of their way to dunk on. Hopefully I'm wrong though, I'd like to see him do well. Either way, we're gonna have a pretty dope national team in five years.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

If he is a legit 7 feet he's definitely worth a look. Not sure he can play the 4 (that's already been said). What little I know about him is that he is a hard worker. And the vid MAtt posted shows a talented kid who needs to add strength (not size) and do some video study. Tons of players survive in the league with games below the rim. If he can leverage his skills he could be a bench player for years to come. Should the Raps consider him? Sure. Especially if he measures well. The Raps current third C is Gray, and the less Amir has to play the 5, the less wear on his body.

Question is, what would they have to give up to get that pick? We can assume that if Bryan is making that move he'll throw in a 2nd round pick for no reason...so Acy, the rights to whatever mystery Euro we have and a 2nd rounder? The rights to Sonny Weems and a 2nd rounder? Thoughts?

Comment

He has the highest PER in the NCAA right now. Solid player but Raps don't need another 5.
              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

He would be a good backup C behind Valanciunas; however I don't think he can play PF.

Comment

tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                  He would be a good backup C behind Valanciunas; however I don't think he can play PF.
                  Yeah me neither. Right now Draftexpress has him at 14. If you're gonna give something up for a lottery pick why would it be a backup center when the raps already have JV?
                  Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Before this year Olynyk used to play power forward at Gonzaga and sometimes shooting forward. In high school he was a guard at one time. His role in the Bulldogs current offence is interchangeable with Elias Harris. They mainly work the high low to great effect with KO and Harris playing the entry position or the low post. At times Olynyk is on the floor with the 7 foot 1, 305 pound Karnowski.

I think number 14 in the lottery is a reach for KO. Gonzaga's performance in the NCAA tournament will determine whether the Bulldogs and Olynyk are over rated or not. He could decide to play another year of NCAA hoops even though he has graduated.

Comment

Lukreaum wrote: View Post
                      Hey guys, first time ever posting here yet long time viewer. I was wondering what the republics thoughts would be of the raptors trying to trade into this draft and pick up Mr. Olynyk. I mean yeah we have the obvious argument that he is Canadian but along with this comes the fact that he is seemingly a very mature individual, as well it's hard to argue with his season numbers of 17.7 points, seven rebounds and almost two assists a game. For a center that shoots 66.8 percent from the field and an a cool 37.5 percent from three he is intriguing. Put all that together with him showing he has the capacity to learn and improve his game I'd think he could be an imposing feature with Jonas. Coachability, talent an hard work, sounds like a fan favourite with more upside that we've seen in the past( ala Reggie Evans). Any way cheers and thanks to any others to add to the conversation.
                      Ask yourself this: When have the Raptors ever targeted a player so specifically that they're willing to buy a pick, negotiate with other teams around them to get a feel of what they're doing, and then select that player? Never. We aren't the San Antonio Spurs or one of those clubs that works the draft. We basically pick where we are, or trade the pick.

Drafting/targeting players requires a serious amount of effort, research, coordination, and skill, none of which the Raptors draft team has. They pick where they're slotted, no more no less. At most, they'll switch second-round picks or something to save some money here and there.

Besides, I don't think BC views adding a rookie as a step towards making the playoffs. He's probably glad he doesn't have a pick this year.

Comment

I am hoping that BC has NO say in future roster moves. I think we will learn his fate soon after the last regular season game on April 17.

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                          He has the highest PER in the NCAA right now. Solid player but Raps don't need another 5.
                          Sorry, not to pick on you specifically, but there needs to be some kind of forum filter that automatically deletes posts that contain the phrase... the "Raps don't need" as it pertains to the draft. This kind of 'draft for need' thinking is why we now have posts saying we should have traded Terrence Ross, the so-called guy we drafted 'for need' instead of Drummond, who we actually could use right now or traded instead of Ed Davis.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                            Ask yourself this: When have the Raptors ever targeted a player so specifically that they're willing to buy a pick, negotiate with other teams around them to get a feel of what they're doing, and then select that player? Never. We aren't the San Antonio Spurs or one of those clubs that works the draft. We basically pick where we are, or trade the pick.

Drafting/targeting players requires a serious amount of effort, research, coordination, and skill, none of which the Raptors draft team has. They pick where they're slotted, no more no less. At most, they'll switch second-round picks or something to save some money here and there.

Besides, I don't think BC views adding a rookie as a step towards making the playoffs. He's probably glad he doesn't have a pick this year.
                            And lest we forget that the best player drafted in the Bargnani draft was a purchased pick (Rondo from PHX).

Comment

The only Canadians I would want joining the team from the NCAA is Anthony Bennett and Myck Kabongo.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                                The only Canadians I would want joining the team from the NCAA is Anthony Bennett and Myck Kabongo.
                                What about Dwight Powell, 6'10' from Stanford (Toronto native), one of the top players in the Pac 12? Check out the dunk he had today against Arizona State at the 0:30 mark in this highlight video: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=330720024

Comment

Working...
                                X