Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: Welcome to your 2013/2014 Toronto Raptors

  1. #41
    Raptors Republic Rookie RobertArchibald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    190
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Part of his gambles are made up for by taking charges, defensive rebounding, and weak-side strips.
    'Part' is the key word here. I don't know any gambler that takes risks hoping to win back 'part' of their money. I would still prefer to see him force bad passes/shots/turnovers through sound D rather than risk-taking. Helps the team as a whole play better D.
    There's math, and everything else is debatable.

    @clericalbeats

  2. #42
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Pretty sure Ross,JV, DeMar Gay and Lowry are the safest players on the roster.

    BC had a huge boner for getting Gay to Toronto, could of had him sooner with trading Ross he declined. If he isnt willing to give up Ross for Gay a player he is crazy about I doubt Ross moving for anything else really slim.

    DeMar signed that new contract he says hes part of the future, and with his improved play this season BC no doubt is thinking he made the right move.

    JV is a Big F U to fans who hammered him for picking him cause JV is seeming to be the real deal and steal of that draft hes a certain part of the future.

    Lowry was given the team over long time holder Calderon he wont trade him right away and will likely be extended hes also best friend of his star player Rudy Gay.

    Rudy Gay, BC just got him here wanted him for years (apparently asked for opps to get him every season He isnt moving.

    ^that is the core and goddam its a pretty talented one hes just needs to move the garbage and get some guys that can hold down the fort & not wet the bed when we are up 20 points.

  3. #43
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Like many fans I'm sure, I was thinking very positive about this team 10 games after the Rudy trade. Now, of course, I'm skeptical like many of the posters here. Overall, a JV, AJ, RG, DD, KL starting lineup looks pretty good, and I would expect them to perform better next season if it goes that way. I'm excited about JV, I think with more playing time he is gonna turn out to be a pretty good two way center. I'd like to see the Raps feeding him in the post for the remainder of the season so he can improve that aspect of his game, and that is something we surely lack.

    The Raps play too much one on one. They need to run more set plays, and move the ball more. If DD and RG continue to be low percentage shooters than this team just isnt gonna work, and as long as they play predominantly ISO type ball, they will be low percentage shooters.

    I love Amir but Lowry is a mystery to me. I'm not sure he is being properly motivated. At the beginning of the season he was a beast, but he hasnt played that way in quite awhile. I really don't know what to expect of him. I believe Jose was a better floor general, he used to work the pick and roll with Amir brilliantly. We need more of that from Kyle, but he also has to be aggressive going to the hole like he was early on. Not so much that he hogs the ball, but enough to keep the defense honest and to provide for kick out opps. At this point, I'm not sure that Lowry understands his role on the team, or if he does, is committed to it. I'd like to see 14ppg, 8 + apg, 5+ rpg, and around 2 steals.

    Someone needs to convince Rudy there is a future with this team. Otherwise, I don't see him putting in 100% consistently. He has to believe this is going somewhere, if not he will just play for himself and his statline and the next contract (although I dont think this will work well for him either, no one will want a volume 40% FG shooter at his price, except the Raps of course lol).

    There is only room on this team for 2 of Anderson, Fields, and Ross. Ross isnt going unless something crazy is offered. So he is DD's backup, and hopefully competition for playing time in the SG postition will motivate them both to improve. I'd take Anderson over Fields, simply because he is cheaper and a better 3pt shooter. Bargs has to go of course, and I'd be happy with nothing in return. I'm not sure I'd be happy with Boozer though if that trade is a possibility in the offseason. I think Amir plays the all around game much better, and if developing JV's low post game is a priority, then adding Boozer may only retard JV's development.

    In any event, regardless of who the Raps have on the floor next year, they just better make the playoffs or I may regurgitate everything I've eaten in the past 34 yrs!!

  4. #44
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,189
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    You raise a good point.. Bargnani alone I don't think can fetch anything good (unless its Boozer which I don't see happening anymore). So you would have to package him with some other asset to make the trade worthwhile.

    Here are the options:

    Bargnani + 2014 pick -> assuming the Raptors don't get in the top 3 then the 2014 pick is back. That would be very enticing to teams, and Bryan loves giving his pick away. I have no faith in the Raptors making the playoffs next season either, so giving up a lottery pick just to get rid of Bargnani in a "good" draft is a tall task. But this is probably the most likely option.
    That is not an option, as you cannot trade your draft pick 2 seasons in a row. If we don't get top 3 pick this year, then we are trading our 2013 first round pick to OKC, and therefore cannot trade our 2014 first round pick. We could trade the 2015 first round pick, so just swap that into your reasoning and it makes sense rules wise.

    I'm still hoping for a Bargs to Charlotte for Ben Gordon and a first round pick (Charlotte has several this year). We take on more salary for a season but we get a good shooter and a draft pick. Charlotte gets their starting PF and now they don't have to overpay Mullens, who is a poor mans Bargs.

  5. #45
    Raptors Republic Rookie Checkines's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's tough to find the right balance of players. I hate how people state that our rebuild all of a sudden stopped. Let's be honest you need the right mix. We have two guys that we have time to wait for in Terrence Ross and Val. We have a guy who is close to his potential in Derozan. We have a few guys who just entered their prime in Gay and Lowry and Amir.

    Honestly I don't know what else we can do. I figure we'll amnest Kleiza, and I'd assume there is a market out there for Bargs. I'd rather us fill the rest of the rosters with veterans who know how to win. I would also not be opposed to signing Carl Landry. I think we should roll with the starting 5 we have now. We legitimately have 4 starters on this team for a lot of teams.

    It's hard for me to be as mad at Colangelo as others are. I liked the Lowry deal, I thought it was good value. I was in favour of Rudy Gay, I thought we won the trade and acquired the best talent. I have been a supporter of Demar. He's improved every year by a significant margin.
    Amir won me over when he was first traded. I figured he wouldn't last long, but had some great pick n roll dunks when he arrived here. I think he's surprised the whole league on how he's developed. Val was the right choice for our team. You can see the potential in a guy who can anchor the team defensively while selling tickets for being a high energy guy.

    I get that we haven't been to the playoffs in awhile and that's on the GM. The best strategy is for us to continue with this core and try to improve our offensive flow, and stop with the stagnant offence.

  6. #46
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    That is not an option, as you cannot trade your draft pick 2 seasons in a row. If we don't get top 3 pick this year, then we are trading our 2013 first round pick to OKC, and therefore cannot trade our 2014 first round pick. We could trade the 2015 first round pick, so just swap that into your reasoning and it makes sense rules wise.

    I'm still hoping for a Bargs to Charlotte for Ben Gordon and a first round pick (Charlotte has several this year). We take on more salary for a season but we get a good shooter and a draft pick. Charlotte gets their starting PF and now they don't have to overpay Mullens, who is a poor mans Bargs.
    Actually they can trade the 2014 pick, but only after the 2013 draft is over. The "can't trade 2 picks in a row" is only for future drafts not drafts that already took place. Once the 2013 draft is over, they can trade the 2014 pick since the 2015 pick is still available.. if they traded the 2015 pick then neither the 2014 or 2016 could be traded.

    Larry Coon made that clear in one of his chats last summer I believe.

    And Bargnani is an already overpaid Mullens (but Mullens can actually rebound).. so I don't think they would want him very badly.

  7. #47
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,189
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Actually they can trade the 2014 pick, but only after the 2013 draft is over. The "can't trade 2 picks in a row" is only for future drafts not drafts that already took place. Once the 2013 draft is over, they can trade the 2014 pick since the 2015 pick is still available.. if they traded the 2015 pick then neither the 2014 or 2016 could be traded.

    Larry Coon made that clear in one of his chats last summer I believe.

    And Bargnani is an already overpaid Mullens (but Mullens can actually rebound).. so I don't think they would want him very badly.
    I really do not think you're right there. It's called the Ted Stepien rule. It's about whether the team actually drafted or not. If we don't draft a first round pick in 2013, we must draft a first round pick in 2014. Doesn't matter if it's our pick, or one we traded for, but you cannot fail to draft a first round pick two drafts in a row.

    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/2/2...umors-deadline

  8. #48
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    That is not an option, as you cannot trade your draft pick 2 seasons in a row. If we don't get top 3 pick this year, then we are trading our 2013 first round pick to OKC, and therefore cannot trade our 2014 first round pick. We could trade the 2015 first round pick, so just swap that into your reasoning and it makes sense rules wise.

    I'm still hoping for a Bargs to Charlotte for Ben Gordon and a first round pick (Charlotte has several this year). We take on more salary for a season but we get a good shooter and a draft pick. Charlotte gets their starting PF and now they don't have to overpay Mullens, who is a poor mans Bargs.
    The 2014 pick is available after July 1st, 2013.

    Picks cannot be traded in consecutive years in forward years only.

    July 1st resets the clock.

    Charlotte's extra picks are top 14 protected (Detroit) and top 12 protected (Portland) this year.

    http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dra...rafts/detailed
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  9. #49
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Actually they can trade the 2014 pick, but only after the 2013 draft is over. The "can't trade 2 picks in a row" is only for future drafts not drafts that already took place. Once the 2013 draft is over, they can trade the 2014 pick since the 2015 pick is still available.. if they traded the 2015 pick then neither the 2014 or 2016 could be traded.

    Larry Coon made that clear in one of his chats last summer I believe.

    And Bargnani is an already overpaid Mullens (but Mullens can actually rebound).. so I don't think they would want him very badly.
    Yes. You are correct but not after the draft, July 1st.

    I can't remember if it was on Twitter or HW.com chat but I asked that question.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  10. #50
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,189
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    I really do not think you're right there. It's called the Ted Stepien rule. It's about whether the team actually drafted or not. If we don't draft a first round pick in 2013, we must draft a first round pick in 2014. Doesn't matter if it's our pick, or one we traded for, but you cannot fail to draft a first round pick two drafts in a row.

    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/2/2...umors-deadline
    Scratch that, read up so more and it appears you're correct. They could trade the 2014 pick after the 2013 draft. They could trade the 2015 pick after the lottery if they wanted since we'd know if we have a 2013 pick or not.

    I really can't see BC trading away any more first rounders anytime soon though, not with this new CBA. You need contributing players on rookie scale deals, especially when you owe Rudy Gay $19.3M in 2014/15, roughly 1/3rd of the salary cap.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •