Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In case you didn't know, Raps stuck in basement of NBA (HoopsWorld.com)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In case you didn't know, Raps stuck in basement of NBA (HoopsWorld.com)

Toronto Raptors

Last Playoff Appearance: 2008
    Record Since Last Playoff Appearance: 143-234 (.379)
    Number of Former Lottery Picks Age 26 or Younger: Four (Rudy Gay, DeMar DeRozan, Terrence Ross and Jonas Valanciunas)

Toronto is definitely stockpiling solid talent and changing the culture. The arrival of Kyle Lowry and Rudy Gay has provided the club with immediate returns on the court and will help the development of Terrence Ross and DeMar DeRozan off of it as well. There are plenty of positives for the team to mention in a long term sense, but the fact remains another sub .500 season has the fans restless in Toronto.

Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-tea...n-the-basement
    I'm sure most around here know and don't need the salt in the wound.... but here it is anyways.

Not much insight....I repost something I wrote on another thread to sum up my thoughts on BC:

"Yeah...the one thing I have said since long before I joined these forums was that regardless of the quality of job you think BC is doing, no one could ever argue that he approaches team-building with strategy. He is totally reactionary/impulsive and doesn't care at all about increasing wins, just increasing hype/sales. I laugh at anyone who suggests he has long-term vision when Toronto is on it's 3rd "franchise" player, 3rd coach, has missed the playoffs for 5 years, and has no cap space.

And if you even look at his PHX days, as good as the Nash-led teams played, it was always hard to believe they'd win a ring. THey just didn't look like a team built for that kind of playoff run. The last time PHX really had that kind of leadership was when his father was controlling everything and pulled the Barkley trade. That team had about the right kind of roster mix to play deep playoffs basketball. Colangelo should be managing a team like the Bucks, expectations-wise (though obviously not with the type of resources he likes), where 8th seed is always the goal (I kid, but you know what I mean)."

I don't see much reason for optimism for the next couple of years...Sure, I'll cheer for them, and they could make the playoffs, and then they'll probably stand no chance in hell. I'm very optimistic for 3 years from now, when JV should be hitting his stride, and hopefully the damage BC has done now will be cleaned up and they can properly build around him.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Mar 15, 2013, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Yes it's been a long time since we've seen the post season, BUT I think out of all the teams on that list we're the only ones likely to be still playing in the second season.
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Fire BC (do not pick up his option) Please!!!.....let's get someone else in here with a strategy!

I'm not worried about who they bring in because you can't do much worse than what BC's done to the promising team he got in 2005-2006. Does anyone else here believe that another GM would've selected AB 1st overall?? I don't think so!

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
          Fire BC (do not pick up his option) Please!!!.....let's get someone else in here with a strategy!

I'm not worried about who they bring in because you can't do much worse than what BC's done to the promising team he got in 2005-2006. Does anyone else here believe that another GM would've selected AB 1st overall?? I don't think so!
          Colangelo's mistake wasn't drafting Bargnani. It was keeping Bargnani for as long as he did.

As seen here, 5 of the 13 mock drafts leading up to the 2006 draft had Bargnani as the top pick. Meaning, there were probably quite a few GMs willing to take Bargnani #1.
          http://www.nba.com/bobcats/draft_mocks_060601.html

Bargnani wasn't the consensus #1, but he wasn't a reach either.

Comment

I think MLSE is in a very tough predicament when it comes to BC.

At this stage, he's abandoned the rebuild and going full steam on "win now mode". I think he's made good, but not great moves with Lowry, Gay, Demar, JV, Ross, Amir, Fields and Telfair. The question is, do you let BC continue on with his re-tooling, or get a new GM in and take the risk of that new GM's vision not coinciding with the current personnel.

IMO, i say go with a new GM. I think the franchise needs a new face at the top, someone fresh and who's not going to be worried about his image and maintaining his reputation. Get a new guy who will take risks in trying to build the team while he's carving out his own reputation.

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post

I'm not defending BC or Bargs, but I'm really tired of this...No one really talked about anyone other than Aldridge really going first. Everyone knew Roy wouldn't be 1st because of his knees. Regardless of what you think of Bargs or BC, the Raptors had Bosh, who everyone was the player Aldridge resembled the most at the time. Any other GM wouldn't have had to make that choice. It all comes down to another thing I have said about BC...if he actually planned what he does, and didn't believe Bosh was a PF he could build around, he should've drafted Aldridge and traded Bosh. Sure, a chance he may have still drafted Bargs, but at least the team would've realized much sooner he isn't a guy you can build around.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                Colangelo's mistake wasn't drafting Bargnani. It was keeping Bargnani for as long as he did.

As seen here, 5 of the 13 mock drafts leading up to the 2006 draft had Bargnani as the top pick. Meaning, there were probably quite a few GMs willing to take Bargnani #1.

+1. Ive alway said BC has done moves with the best intention, but they just dont pan out.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  I'm not defending BC or Bargs, but I'm really tired of this...No one really talked about anyone other than Aldridge really going first. Everyone knew Roy wouldn't be 1st because of his knees. Regardless of what you think of Bargs or BC, the Raptors had Bosh, who everyone was the player Aldridge resembled the most at the time. Any other GM wouldn't have had to make that choice. It all comes down to another thing I have said about BC...if he actually planned what he does, and didn't believe Bosh was a PF he could build around, he should've drafted Aldridge and traded Bosh. Sure, a chance he may have still drafted Bargs, but at least the team would've realized much sooner he isn't a guy you can build around.
                  Exactly. Hindsight is a bitch, as they say.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                    I think MLSE is in a very tough predicament when it comes to BC.

At this stage, he's abandoned the rebuild and going full steam on "win now mode". I think he's made good, but not great moves with Lowry, Gay, Demar, JV, Ross, Amir, Fields and Telfair. The question is, do you let BC continue on with his re-tooling, or get a new GM in and take the risk of that new GM's vision not coinciding with the current personnel.

IMO, i say go with a new GM. I think the franchise needs a new face at the top, someone fresh and who's not going to be worried about his image and maintaining his reputation. Get a new guy who will take risks in trying to build the team while he's carving out his own reputation.
                    If a new GM were to come in now, he wouldn't have a whole lot to work with (no draft pick and no financial flexibility).

The best approach might be to repeat the strategy employed following Babcock's dismissal. That is, promote someone internally with an "interim" tag emphasizing the importance of trading away ugly contracts and acquiring picks and cap space, while interviewing potential GM candidates. Create a sell-able situation where GMs would want to join.

Unfortunately for fans, this is basically wiping the slate clean and starting over....which means a looooooong wait before any meaningful games are played. But it might be the only realistic way of fixing this mess.

Comment

+1. Ive alway said BC has done moves with the best intention, but they just dont pan out.
                      Technically, one could say that every bad GM, in regards to every bad transaction ever made had the "best intentions". But in pro sports (as is the case with any business), results are the only things that matter

Comment

Technically, one could say that every bad GM, in regards to every bad transaction ever made had the "best intentions". But in pro sports (as is the case with any business), results are the only things that matter
                        Yes, but as in any business, the results that matter have everything to do with money, and nothing to do with the quality of the final product.

Comment

If a new GM were to come in now, he wouldn't have a whole lot to work with (no draft pick and no financial flexibility).

The best approach might be to repeat the strategy employed following Babcock's dismissal. That is, promote someone internally with an "interim" tag emphasizing the importance of trading away ugly contracts and acquiring picks and cap space, while interviewing potential GM candidates. Create a sell-able situation where GMs would want to join.

Unfortunately for fans, this is basically wiping the slate clean and starting over....which means a looooooong wait before any meaningful games are played. But it might be the only realistic way of fixing this mess.
                          Didnt Masai come to the Nuggets in fairly the same situation?

Comment

Interesting to see that everyone had him in the top 5....what a crappy draft anyway

Comment

Didnt Masai come to the Nuggets in fairly the same situation?
                              Not sure about Denver's situation, but Colangelo most certainly did.

Comment

Working...
                              X