Thread: Trey Thompkins Waived

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trey Thompkins Waived

The Clippers waived 6'10" PF Trey Thompkins
    http://www.thescore.com/nba/articles...ured-thompkins

Should the raptors pick him up? he was the 37th pick in the 2011 draft.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Meh. It depends. If they want to bring Acy back up, I don't see the point. THey already have enough young players who need time and touches, and they can always pick someone up if another injury arises, or they shut someone like Gay down for the season. The only real reason to do it would be if they needed another body.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Meh. It depends. If they want to bring Acy back up, I don't see the point. THey already have enough young players who need time and touches, and they can always pick someone up if another injury arises, or they shut someone like Gay down for the season. The only real reason to do it would be if they needed another body.
    Well he brings size at the PF position. IMO the Raps should take a flyer on him, we don't really have anything to lose. Its not like he's a D leaguer and he hasn't really had a fair shake in the nba because of an injury and having to play behind Griffin and Odom. Plus he has 3 years of college experience so he's not completely raw and he's only 22

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thompkins never got his opportunity in LA because of injury. At this point, we already have Acy as that 3rd stringer (assuming Bargnani is still here, or he brings back value) and bringing in another big to play little to no time isn't an issue.

Just re-call Acy back up.

Post Thanks / Like

We already did but our front court is way too small. We need more size and length Acy is only 6'8 and Amir is around 6'9. Idk about you guys but i like what i see in Trey Thompkins.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Well he brings size at the PF position. IMO the Raps should take a flyer on him, we don't really have anything to lose. Its not like he's a D leaguer and he hasn't really had a fair shake in the nba because of an injury and having to play behind Griffin and Odom. Plus he has 3 years of college experience so he's not completely raw and he's only 22
    WE don't, but the team does, in the sense that why the hell would they pay somebody who might not even see a total of 48 minutes of floor time in his stay in Toronto? Casey is not hugely comfortable playing the young guys he already has, why would he make the effort to work in an end of season signing? This is nothing against Thompkins, it just seems to serve no purpose to the Raptors, unless they really believe they need another body, for fouls and emergencies. Again though, why would they care about that and add salary when games don't matter anymore?

Post Thanks / Like

We already did but our front court is way too small. We need more size and length Acy is only 6'8 and Amir is around 6'9. Idk about you guys but i like what i see in Trey Thompkins.
    Then they can just invite him to their summer league team.

8. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

WE don't, but the team does, in the sense that why the hell would they pay somebody who might not even see a total of 48 minutes of floor time in his stay in Toronto? Casey is not hugely comfortable playing the young guys he already has, why would he make the effort to work in an end of season signing?
    For next season tryout? with our cap space issues it would be better trying to find a diamond in the rough

Post Thanks / Like

Then they can just invite him to their summer league team.
    eh thats true also

Post Thanks / Like

For next season tryout? with our cap space issues it would be better trying to find a diamond in the rough
    If next season is the topic, than he's not - and shouldn't - be a priority. MLE should be used mainly on role players, and trying to acquire the veterans or contributors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    If next season is the topic, than he's not - and shouldn't - be a priority. MLE should be used mainly on role players, and trying to acquire the veterans or contributors.
    Like who?

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Save moves for off season. The only D League young player I want to see picked up is "Kris Jospeh" yes Im still on about this!

Invite them both to the summer league Roster to play alongside Ross, JV and Acy to fill out the roster and offer a legit spot as a Raptor to one of them.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I suppose there's no harm in taking a flyer on him, but I don't expect anything to come of it. For a player like Thompkins (or Acy for that matter) to really develop, the team needs to make a commitment to actually....you know....develop them, which means consistent minutes.

I don't see that happening here.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

The Clippers waived 6'10" PF Trey Thompkins

Should the raptors pick him up? he was the 37th pick in the 2011 draft.
    Sure, why not? The tank is in full mode now and Trey's 39% shooting percentage would certainly help in that regard.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know anything about his game, but I don't see much point in playing Gray. So we've got a front court of Amir and JV and Acy, why not pick up another young guy and try him out? If he shows some promise you can sign him for cheap which allows you to move Bargs for anything, without having to worry about getting a PF back.

If you nail Gray to the pine, you've got 12+ minutes for both Acy and Thompkins.

Heck if you limit JV and Amir to 30 minutes each you've got 12 minutes for all three of them.
    Last edited by ezz_bee; Fri Mar 15th, 2013 at 04:19 PM.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I suppose there's no harm in taking a flyer on him, but I don't expect anything to come of it. For a player like Thompkins (or Acy for that matter) to really develop, the team needs to make a commitment to actually....you know....develop them, which means consistent minutes.

I don't see that happening here.
    Yea i know what you mean. ol Dwane Casey loves to plays those scrubs he calls Veterans

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Save moves for off season. The only D League young player I want to see picked up is "Kris Jospeh" yes Im still on about this!

Invite them both to the summer league Roster to play alongside Ross, JV and Acy to fill out the roster and offer a legit spot as a Raptor to one of them.
    Quite frankly, I don't want to see anymore D-League players on this roster, PERIOD. I personally don't think Acy belongs in the NBADL, especially the way he was able to help out the team when he got minutes on the boards, and defensively. Eh, just my opinion.

And to NoPropsNeeded's comment, MLE should be used on veterans, role players, etc. Guys like a Tony Allen, Randy Foye, Carlos Delfino, Corey Brewer, Matt Barnes, Elton Brand, Brandan Wright, Jason Maxiell, Zaza Pachulia, Samuel Dalembert, Nazr Mohammed (These are names of possible free agents this Summer). Veterans, role players, guys that have experience, guys that have won/been in winning cultures, established as NBA players in the league, and guys that can contribute in spot time/roles.
    Looking at guys like Lucas III, and Anderson - who have awesome stories, and inspirational journeys to get to where they are now - are guys that are too inconsistent, and or feel they have free reign to "prove themselves" to get their name out there. If shots are falling, good, if they don't, it hurts the team. My point is, no need trying to bring up players who don't fit a certain need, and who are looking to earn/prove their way into a team, especially at the expense of another team's player's development, minutes, opportunities. Leave that to the injured teams, and or young teams trying to find any talent on their roster, like the Bobcats, or the Suns.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Quite frankly, I don't want to see anymore D-League players on this roster, PERIOD. I personally don't think Acy belongs in the NBADL, especially the way he was able to help out the team when he got minutes on the boards, and defensively. Eh, just my opinion.

And to NoPropsNeeded's comment, MLE should be used on veterans, role players, etc. Guys like a Tony Allen, Randy Foye, Carlos Delfino, Corey Brewer, Matt Barnes, Elton Brand, Brandan Wright, Jason Maxiell, Zaza Pachulia, Samuel Dalembert, Nazr Mohammed (These are names of possible free agents this Summer). Veterans, role players, guys that have experience, guys that have won/been in winning cultures, established as NBA players in the league, and guys that can contribute in spot time/roles.
    Looking at guys like Lucas III, and Anderson - who have awesome stories, and inspirational journeys to get to where they are now - are guys that are too inconsistent, and or feel they have free reign to "prove themselves" to get their name out there. If shots are falling, good, if they don't, it hurts the team. My point is, no need trying to bring up players who don't fit a certain need, and who are looking to earn/prove their way into a team, especially at the expense of another team's player's development, minutes, opportunities. Leave that to the injured teams, and or young teams trying to find any talent on their roster, like the Bobcats, or the Suns.
    I disagree. This roster is not ready for us to now go ahead and spend our remaining money on role players that we know what were getting out of them. Its too difficult to win in today's NBA if your roster cant compete with the best of them. If we're going to lose flexibility with the Gay trade, then add players who are cheap and have potential. Find players who haven't been given a chance and hope to find something special. Don't pretend like were like the Heat or Thunder and we should be going out and getting complementary players. Not at that level yet.

20. Like NoPropsneeded liked this post

Thread Information