Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: ProBasketballReport.com: How TL chanaged Raps from losers to winners

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default ProBasketballReport.com: How TL chanaged Raps from losers to winners

    “I have been told by everybody since I got here, you are not going to keep good players, you won’t get good players, you are not going to get a good President or GM,” Leiweke said. “No one likes to come here. They don’t like the weather. We can’t get ESPN. They don’t like the taxes. We are never going to win. So I am looking at them and going, no wonder why you all lose.”
    “We fired 14 people in one day and hired the best front office in the NBA today,” Leiweke said.

    “When I went after the three people (to replace Colangelo), one was Phil Jackson, one was Masai (Ujiri) and everyone looked at me and said you are never going to get those guys here in Toronto.”

    “No one thinks you can win in Toronto,” Leiweke told Ujiri. “You win there and you are literally the greatest executive in the history of the NBA. (Ujiri) says every day, we will win in Toronto.”
    “I think culture is everything,” Leiweke said. “If you look at the culture Masai has created with the Raptors and you look at the chip we developed on our shoulders, we took all that can’t, won’t, never happens, can’t win, no one wants to come here, everyone hates you, in the NBA you guys are an afterthought like Charlotte, you don’t even exist and that became We The North.”

    “My compass, my direction is Jurassic Park. That’s what makes me happy. Yes I believe in Fuck Brooklyn because that was a defining moment for what we were trying to do as an organization.”

    ‘Fuck Brooklyn’ was no accident. It was a calculated move designed to inspire not just the fans, but the players and the organization as a whole.

    “Believe me Masai was very calculated with what he said at the rally,” Leiweke said. “That did not come out by mistake. We talked about a moment in time where we needed a rally cry. I didn’t know he was going to drop the F-bomb (pause) I kind of had a feeling he was going to drop the F-bomb.”
    “We already had two of (our management team) offered GM jobs and they turned them down because they want to be here,” Leiweke said. “We kept all of our players this summer with Patrick Patterson, Vasquez and our wonderful point guard Kyle Lowry. All three got better offers but stayed here.”
    “Winning ultimately comes from people that are committed to being great, but they will be ferocious about whatever they got to do to win,” Leiweke said. “Masai is ferocious. Dwane Casey is ferocious. You got to have an attitude. You got to have a chip and I hope that is the one thing that I will leave behind.”

    There is more in the article. Be sure to click:
    http://probballreport.com/how-tim-le...rs-to-winners/
    "You don’t know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  2. Like S.R. liked this post
  3. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,391
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Good stuff, just irks me to see him saying the same stuff everytime and in the meantime, acting completely opposite regarding to "no one whants to be here" quote. I do not take the credit away for what he has done here in just one year and I understand his "ultimate" dream, it's just that he did not really completed what he was supposed to bring, leaving it in current state is quite reckless and selfish. Of course, he wants to achieve more, be an entrepreneur, but if he's a wise man, he should know his lifetime goals better, he shouldn't just randomly decide to drop all his commitment to the franchise and success he achieved in ONE year. I wouldn't probably say anything if it would be at least 2/3 years. This resignation, just supports the naysayers and it's not part of the goal set by him (just my opinion).
    #FREE

  4. Like Fully liked this post
  5. #3
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,792
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ya all of these quotes came from his candid talk at that University. Was pretty eye opening.

    With the foundation already layed, I'm sure a good executive will be able to take this thing and keep it going. No reason it all stops with TL leaving.
    In Masai we Trust.

  6. #4
    Raptors Republic Starter S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    792
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    TL leaving makes me sad. I've heard all the comments about meaningless corporate talk and the players on the floor doing the winning, but there's a reason MLSE teams have been among the shittiest franchises in their respective leagues for years, and insights like this help you see how the losing starts at the top.

    I hope the next CEO has similar balls and and championship hunger. I also hope we get out of this shitty corporate competitor co-ownership situation.

    I love that he canned 14 negative nancies in one day. I love that front office staff wants to stay here just as much as the players do. That's how you set yourself up for long-term stability and success - listen to any Spurs player talk about that franchise's success, and they'll name ownership, the GM, the coach, and core players - I've heard them go through that list multiple times. Somebody please tell Tim Duncan it doesn't matter who's sitting in the office with a suit on...
    Last edited by S.R.; Wed Sep 24th, 2014 at 10:29 AM.

  7. Like Fully liked this post
  8. #5
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I really like what TL and MU have done, primarily trying to change the culture of the franchise, starting internally.

    However, to play devil's advocate, there's no reason to believe [yet] that anything substantial has changed, in terms of perceptions.

    1. Although they retained a couple free agents, they still haven't attracted any new big name free agents. Until they land a truly big fish, that myth has not been busted.

    2. Watching TL walk out, after less than 2 of the 5 years on his contract, really steps on the point he himself is trying to make about the team having turned a corner in terms of being able to retain the big names. I don't really consider that myth busted yet either.

    3. MU made a couple nice trades (Bargnani & Gay), which were done mainly from an 'addition by subtraction' standpoint, which wound up being much better than anybody (likely even MU himself) could have predicted. The core of this team is still BC's - DeRozan, Lowry, Valanciunas, Amir, Ross. The additions of Bruno and Bebe might prove just how shrewd MU is, or could prove to be horrendous in hindsight, but only time will tell.


    I really think the true test of this 'culture change' will come throughout this season and, more importantly, next offseason and the following season. Once TL is gone and it's up to MU to lead the franchise, including into a potentially re-defining offseason, we'll all see how many of these long-perpetuated myths are actually busted.

    My fingers are crossed and I'm hoping for the best, with a much more positive outlook heading into this season than I had heading into last season!
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Sep 24th, 2014 at 10:57 AM.

  9. #6
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,030
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would say the only thing Lieweke did (in terms of improving the Raptors) was hiring Ujiri.

    All other accolades should fall on Ujiri's shoulders.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  10. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
  11. #7
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I would say the only thing Lieweke did (in terms of improving the Raptors) was hiring Ujiri.

    All other accolades should fall on Ujiri's shoulders.
    I agree.

    It is interesting the "F Brooklyn" quotes from TL. Essentially this was a cold calculated move by Masai that was planned and executed by Masai. I agree with Brotherston's end paragraph that, essentially, the Raptors should be OK as long as the MLSE Board stay out of his way.
    "You don’t know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  12. #8
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    I agree.

    It is interesting the "F Brooklyn" quotes from TL. Essentially this was a cold calculated move by Masai that was planned and executed by Masai. I agree with Brotherston's end paragraph that, essentially, the Raptors should be OK as long as the MLSE Board stay out of his way.
    Bolded is fact.

    I still believe that TL is leaving (or sped up the process) in great part because of dysfunction on the board. He probably got turned down on some other initiatives. If one just views the inherent complexity of the two largest media & communications empires in Canada playing in the same sandbox with the same sports properties and one of them (Rogers) just got a leg up on NHL/Leafs content on their systems alongwith sole ownership & content of the Blue Jays...it is not inconceivable that there are some serious jealousy bouts being displayed. He probably got tired of having to schmooze the parties to make nice. Wish one were to bow out but I think the properties are too lucrative to give up on for either. And so, ownership continues to be an issue I think.

  13. #9
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,434
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Going to miss Tim.. and that's because we haven't had a guy like that in control of the team for ever. I just hope the next 'owner' doesn't cause Masai to become disgruntled.. Nothing worse than having a GM do things because their owner demands it and not because it's the right call.

  14. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    2,109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I really like what TL and MU have done, primarily trying to change the culture of the franchise, starting internally.

    However, to play devil's advocate, there's no reason to believe [yet] that anything substantial has changed, in terms of perceptions.

    1. Although they retained a couple free agents, they still haven't attracted any new big name free agents. Until they land a truly big fish, that myth has not been busted.

    2. Watching TL walk out, after less than 2 of the 5 years on his contract, really steps on the point he himself is trying to make about the team having turned a corner in terms of being able to retain the big names. I don't really consider that myth busted yet either.

    3. MU made a couple nice trades (Bargnani & Gay), which were done mainly from an 'addition by subtraction' standpoint, which wound up being much better than anybody (likely even MU himself) could have predicted. The core of this team is still BC's - DeRozan, Lowry, Valanciunas, Amir, Ross. The additions of Bruno and Bebe might prove just how shrewd MU is, or could prove to be horrendous in hindsight, but only time will tell.


    I really think the true test of this 'culture change' will come throughout this season and, more importantly, next offseason and the following season. Once TL is gone and it's up to MU to lead the franchise, including into a potentially re-defining offseason, we'll all see how many of these long-perpetuated myths are actually busted.

    My fingers are crossed and I'm hoping for the best, with a much more positive outlook heading into this season than I had heading into last season!
    I can't see how the Bebe trade could be bad, because we got value for Salmons.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

  15. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
  16. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kitchener "Sketchener"
    Posts
    1,503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote 007 wrote: View Post
    I can't see how the Bebe trade could be bad, because we got value for Salmons.
    Salmons could be training with mj right now and start dropping 30 a night next year leading the pelllis to the promised land...but that will never happen

    There is not really any negative to that trade. The worst that could happen is bebe becoming a bust and Williams struggling to get his shot back. It's not like we were going to use that cap space this year on anyone else. Three no way of losing this deal
    In Swag we Trust

    -Nick Young

  17. #12
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    912
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This is the part of the article that is disturbing...

    “For those that are wondering why I have already announced that I am leaving after only 17 months,” Leiweke told a group of students at Ryerson. “(It’s) because that was always my plan. We had an agreement within my partnership with the owners here that after two years I could go pursue my dream and go build my own company.”
    All that stuff he spewed about "... championships are what we live for..." sounds like huge load of horse-crap now. Seems more like MLSE was just a stop along the road for TL to collect a nice paycheck for 2 years, while waiting out his US non-compete.

  18. Like RandomGuy liked this post
  19. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    This is the part of the article that is disturbing...



    All that stuff he spewed about "... championships are what we live for..." sounds like huge load of horse-crap now. Seems more like MLSE was just a stop along the road for TL to collect a nice paycheck for 2 years, while waiting out his US non-compete.
    Don't care...he was still the catalyst for change that was desperately needed. I am willing to look the other way.

  20. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    912
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Don't care...he was still the catalyst for change that was desperately needed. I am willing to look the other way.
    His best move was dumping BC and hiring Masai. So, if you give TL credit for hiring Masai, then you've got to give MLSE credit for hiring TL, which makes MLSE the real initial catalyst for change, unlikely as it seems.

  21. #15
    Raptors Republic Rookie rseal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    "We already had two of (our management team) offered GM jobs and they turned them down because they want to be here,” Leiweke said. “We kept all of our players this summer with Patrick Patterson, Vasquez and our wonderful point guard Kyle Lowry. All three got better offers but stayed here.”

    There is more in the article. Be sure to click:
    http://probballreport.com/how-tim-le...rs-to-winners/
    Who's he referring to here?^

  22. #16
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote rseal wrote: View Post
    Who's he referring to here?^
    My guess would be either of Jeff Weltman, Bobby Webster, or Dan Tolzman with Weltman and Webster being my top 2 guesses.
    "You don’t know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  23. Like rseal liked this post
  24. #17
    Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,643
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Not sure this is to TL's credit or Masai's (or both) but how crazy different is the outlook of this year? There was only one thing to talk about last year ("tank or no tank"...it almost feels weird to type that). It didn't matter which side you were on...both left you with a yucky feeling. Now, not only are we all (or at least mostly) on the same page that we are excited to do well, we also get the best of both worlds. Every time we play the knicks we can have a "we want your draft pick" chant. A chance to make a playoff run and get a good first round draft pick? Nice. Was it really only a year ago?

    Edit: my bad. I was thinking we got next year's pick. Still, it's nice.
    Last edited by Jclaw; Tue Sep 30th, 2014 at 10:54 PM.
    It's not just about Lowry...It's about the 3 spot.

  25. Like YoungGunRaptor, mcHAPPY liked this post
  26. #18
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Not sure this is to TL's credit or Masai's (or both) but how crazy different is the outlook of this year? There was only one thing to talk about last year ("tank or no tank"...it almost feels weird to type that). It didn't matter which side you were on...both left you with a yucky feeling. Now, not only are we all (or at least mostly) on the same page that we are excited to do well, we also get the best of both worlds. Every time we play the knicks we can have a "we want your draft pick" chant. A chance to make a playoff run and get a good first round draft pick? Nice. Was it really only a year ago?
    "TWEN-Tee-SIX-Teen-clap-clap-clap,clap,clap!!**

    Sweet.
    "You don’t know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  27. #19
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,696
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    "TWEN-Tee-SIX-Teen-clap-clap-clap,clap,clap!!**

    Sweet.
    So where will the Knicks pick likely be then? If they implode this year, I think their pick is gone so they get no help from the draft. How bad could they be in 2016?

  28. #20
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    So where will the Knicks pick likely be then? If they implode this year, I think their pick is gone so they get no help from the draft. How bad could they be in 2016?
    It depends.

    First, if they implode, that likely results in moving/not re-signing pieces that were part of that implosion.

    Second, they do however have capspace next summer, and you know they'll want to try and add at least one good piece...whether they can will probably be a big influence on their 15-16 season.

    If they implode and strike out on free agency, they will basically be Melo and a young rebuilding roster. Unless Dolan gets in the way, then they'll make overpriced signings when they strike out, and likely be even worse than Melo + the young rebuilding roster.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •