View Poll Results: Grade Amir's Season.

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

    14 45.16%
  • B

    15 48.39%
  • C

    1 3.23%
  • D

    0 0%
  • F

    1 3.23%
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 200

Thread: Everything Amir Johnson

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,781
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Everything Amir Johnson

    I don't know what is required to qualify for an everything thread, but if Amir Johnson hasn't achieved it then no one else on the Raptors deserves one. All he does is come out every night and give it his all. Only 25 and he is basketball weathered and basketball smart. Every fan of the Raptors loves what he brings and he never takes a night off.

    Congrats on your career high Amir. You are now in the books with one of the four best rebounding games in Raptor history.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'll admit I wasnt a fan of Amir before this season seemed very clumsy. Ed davis was my pick for PF going forward and I have to say I was dead wrong Amir really shocked me this season Im so comfortable watching the game when hes out there beside Rudy Gay and DeMar, he scraps and hustles to finish broken plays.

    High motor guy and thats the kind of thing you just cant teach he brings it every night regardless of opponent works hard for his money. A true Fan-Favorite.

  3. Like ezz_bee liked this post
  4. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,781
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What is really impressive to me, and has surprised me most about Amir is how he deals with crap awful passes at the last second from his team mates. He somehow finds a way to bull the ball up to the rim and if it doesn't go in initially he is the guy in position to grab the rebound and finish. His offensive rebound this year must be pretty good.

    Actually he is averaging three a year this season in 28 minutes. Best season so far. Highs in points rebounds assists and blocks and his turnovers are down from last year. He seems to be learning how to improve his game every year. His numbers and efficiency will only get better as the talent around him improves.

  5. Like ezz_bee, Rapstor4Life liked this post
  6. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    1,411
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We always here people talk about Demar's work ethic, but it has truly been amazing to see how Amir has improved.

    He went from a guy who came into the league out of high school (this is his 8th year and he is only 25) as a deep second round draft pick with a rough offensive game, no jumper, and little presence around the rim, to a guy who can hit the occasional outside shot, has great touch around the rim, crashes the boards, and makes big impact in NBA games. Not to mention he plays some solid D. I think his work ethic is greatly over looked, and it is one of his best qualities.

  7. Like ezz_bee, Rapstor4Life liked this post
  8. #5
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He's grown in Toronto, a lot! Hopefully he has a few more great years here and develops a dependable jumper before all that athleticism runs out.

  9. #6
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    3,454
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    I'll admit I wasnt a fan of Amir before this season seemed very clumsy. Ed davis was my pick for PF going forward and I have to say I was dead wrong Amir really shocked me this season Im so comfortable watching the game when hes out there beside Rudy Gay and DeMar, he scraps and hustles to finish broken plays.

    High motor guy and thats the kind of thing you just cant teach he brings it every night regardless of opponent works hard for his money. A true Fan-Favorite.
    People always forget that Amir Johnson is a NATURAL 4.

    Amir = Easily the Raps MVP this season.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  10. Like ezz_bee liked this post
  11. #7
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This guy will be huge come playoff time next year. Him and JV are going to be bigtime for us

  12. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Queq'part
    Posts
    1,122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I really hope that he is going to be our starting power forward next year.

  13. Like ezz_bee liked this post
  14. #9
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know about you guys but i feel that Amir still needs to work on his lower body. He's much stronger up top but his legs still seem skinny to me which is why he gets pushed off sometimes by bigger guys.

  15. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,758
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My thoughts on Amir:

    He's a beast, I've got no problem with being our starting PF.

    He's the team's MVP night in, night out.

    My thought's on "Sticky Threads"

    They're for players who create drama. Amir is above that shizzle, homie. He doesn't deserve one, for all the right reasons.
    Last edited by ezz_bee; Sat Mar 16th, 2013 at 04:17 AM.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee

    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

  16. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
  17. #11
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Amir truly doesn't get the recognition he deserves, he asks for nothing, but performs for everything. This man is a walking double-double, and his motor runs at a 110% each and every night.

    Like ezz_bee mentioned, stickies - in my opinion - are for the big name guys on the team. Amir is quite the hard worker, and definitely does amazing things for this team, but he's a blue collar guy, rarely does anything wrong on the floor, and like mentioned in the above, away from drama. He's one of those safe guys you just can't talk trash about.

  18. #12
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What we Raptor fans and especially the team brass should be glad about is the fact that he has two more years left in his contract. I mean we have seen so many players do extremely well for a year or two, earn big contracts, then slump and become a headache for the Raps. to trade. I still think he's a back up but I'd be more than happy to be wrong.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  19. #13
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,645
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I love Amir.

    I love everything about him except the bonehead ie. lack of focus mistakes he frequently makes.

    Still think he is best served as 1st big off the bench.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  20. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
  21. #14
    Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I love Amir.

    I love everything about him except the bonehead ie. lack of focus mistakes he frequently makes.

    Still think he is best served as 1st big off the bench.
    Wow I can't explain how much I disagree with that statement. He has been the one Raptor (along with Jose who is ofcourse no longer here) to stay focused game in and game out over the last 4 years. It probably explains why they've been the only two consistent ones over that same time period.

    The "mistakes" Amir makes are almost always out of effort, and not of the bonehead variety.

    I'll concede the obvious mouth peice incident - but one event in an 8 year career can be fairly overlooked.

  22. #15
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,758
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Still think he is best served as 1st big off the bench.
    I used to share this opinion, but Amir keeps producing, efficiently, and consistently. The big change for me has been his interior passing. This is the first year he's shown us glimpses of having this ability. If this is something he can demonstrate consistently by the end of the year, then I can't see how you can replace him with anyone who can match his productivity and efficiency.

    We've already got scorers on the starting unit, so getting someone who is offensive minded and needs touches on offense may make our problematic offense even more problematic. If you can swing a bargs (+Kleiza!) for Pau deal, then sure do it, but the more I look at who we at on this team, the more I think that Johnson is exactly what we need in the starting unit. I'm actually curious how good we could be if we kept bargs as the first big off the bench.

    I know he hasn't played well coming off the bench to date, but unless we get a decent return for him, I'm happy to devote more time to the bargs off the bench experiment.

    Starters:
    Lowry
    Derozan
    Gay
    Johnson
    Valanciunas


    Bench
    Telfair?
    Ross
    Fields
    Bargs
    Gray (only when matchups dictate)

    I think that's a pretty solid 9-10 man rotation imo, assuming Bargnani can do something from the second unit. Assuming that Amir or JV is almost always paired with Bargs, that should minimize defensive problems. Hopefully Casey has learned you CANNOT play barg's as a small ball center. EVER.

    I actually think that team as constructed is more likely to get the fifth seed, than the 10th seed next year. Although, there are a lot of variables that could go either way: Ross, and others, increasing their 3pt FG%. Passing/ball movement on Offense. JV and Ross getting better defensively.

    Sure the odds of us winning a playoff series are still low, but again I could see us winning a game or two in pretty much any series except (maybe) the Heat.

    Maybe I'm being optimistic because I want the raps to make the playoffs soo badly, or my standards of success are too low, or both, but despite having a roster that has holes, we also have a roster that's got a good amount of TALENT.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee

    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

  23. #16
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,845
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    Wow I can't explain how much I disagree with that statement. He has been the one Raptor (along with Jose who is ofcourse no longer here) to stay focused game in and game out over the last 4 years. It probably explains why they've been the only two consistent ones over that same time period.

    The "mistakes" Amir makes are almost always out of effort, and not of the bonehead variety.

    I'll concede the obvious mouth peice incident - but one event in an 8 year career can be fairly overlooked.
    I disagree with this, and agree with Matt. Focus and effort are not the same things, and Amir's mistakes tend to come from a lack of the former. Perfect example, and something I don't know if he was even doing other years but I've noticed this year, but how many times after getting a rebound, steal, block, or even just inbounding, has Amir needlessly thrown a weak pass that is not only easily picked off, but that his teammate was surprised to get? Basically he still makes mistakes from pressing and not focusing, or slowing down, or whatever you want to call it. The most frequent kind of mistakes Amir makes, are thus boneheaded ones. This goes for his fouls too...Amir doesn't get a high foul total because he sacrifices himself defending the rim, it's because he still gets stupid reach in fouls and other weak calls he has no business getting because he'll get caught and "not give up" on a play, but end up making a worse play sometimes because of it. These are focus mistakes because he just needs to think about what he's doing. It's not like he makes loads of them, but making those really bad focus-oriented mistakes is still what he needs to work the most on.

    Look, I love Amir, and he is a very capable big who can start or come off the bench. He is still just a very good role player who is a complimentary piece. He has a limited skill set which he makes the most of, and a high motor and heart which are never bad for a team. People can talk about whether he's a starter or bench player, and love him all they want, but the reasons I never get too excited about him one way or the other are these:
    -If Amir is the best big on your team, your team is not likely to be that good.
    -If Amir left your team, it would possibly not even make any impact on the building/rebuilding happening.

    Do I want Amir on my team? Yes, as a 2nd/3rd big type who is on the roster mostly for hustle and D. I'm happy he has learned to perform to some degree in many other aspects as well. But he's not exactly top of the list of players a team needs to win/contend.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Mar 16th, 2013 at 10:14 AM.

  24. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
  25. #17
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,645
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    Wow I can't explain how much I disagree with that statement. He has been the one Raptor (along with Jose who is ofcourse no longer here) to stay focused game in and game out over the last 4 years. It probably explains why they've been the only two consistent ones over that same time period.

    The "mistakes" Amir makes are almost always out of effort, and not of the bonehead variety.

    I'll concede the obvious mouth peice incident - but one event in an 8 year career can be fairly overlooked.

    First of all let me say I've never questioned nor hopefully ever will question his effort.

    I'm talking about foot violations on inbounds, getting a rebound and nonchalantly drop off to a guard which is easily stolen, passes stolen on inbounds with no pressure, outletting to a guy in bad position or not expecting the ball.

    Last night, despite 21 rebounds, he had a few of those such mistakes.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  26. #18
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I disagree with this, and agree with Matt. Focus and effort are not the same things, and Amir's mistakes tend to come from a lack of the former. Perfect example, and something I don't know if he was even doing other years but I've noticed this year, but how many times after getting a rebound, steal, block, or even just inbounding, has Amir needlessly thrown a weak pass that is not only easily picked off, but that his teammate was surprised to get? Basically he still makes mistakes from pressing and not focusing, or slowing down, or whatever you want to call it. The most frequent kind of mistakes Amir makes, are thus boneheaded ones. This goes for his fouls too...Amir doesn't get a high foul total because he sacrifices himself defending the rim, it's because he still gets stupid reach in fouls and other weak calls he has no business getting because he'll get caught and "not give up" on a play, but end up making a worse play sometimes because of it. These are focus mistakes because he just needs to think about what he's doing. It's not like he makes loads of them, but making those really bad focus-oriented mistakes is still what he needs to work the most on.

    Look, I love Amir, and he is a very capable big who can start or come off the bench. He is still just a very good role player who is a complimentary piece. He has a limited skill set which he makes the most of, and a high motor and heart which are never bad for a team. People can talk about whether he's a starter or bench player, and love him all they want, but the reasons I never get too excited about him one way or the other are these:
    -If Amir is the best big on your team, your team is not likely to be that good.
    -If Amir left your team, it would possibly not even make any impact on the building/rebuilding happening.

    Do I want Amir on my team? Yes, as a 2nd/3rd big type who is on the roster mostly for hustle and D. I'm happy he has learned to perform to some degree in many other aspects as well. But he's not exactly top of the list of players a team needs to win/contend.

    Man! I rarely post on here, but I'm sick of people hating on Amir. If Amir left, of course it would make an impact on the Raptors rebuild... How could it not? It makes an impact each game when he is substituted out.

    I know the guy doesn't have a polished offensive game, but that doesn't mean he isn't starter quality. You only need so many starters that can create or have plays called for them. It would be great if your bigs have some slicks post moves, but realistically, if you have solid perimeter players, you just need your bigs to be able to finish at the rim/close to the rim. That keeps defences honest on your post players. In that regard, Amir is actually one of the best on the team. He has the softest touch on the team, some of the best hands I've ever seen on a big (he catches some really crappy passes, even on the run), and is a great finisher.

    People overlook that being able to catch the ball is a basketball skill (anyone remember butter-finger bosh?). The ability to play with high intensity/effort the entire game is a skill (Jordan, Kobe). The ability to finish around the basket with a soft-touch is a skill.

    Yeah, he sometimes has awareness issues as people have mentioned (bad passes, etc.), but so do a lot of starters. When Gay dribbles into 2 defenders and tries to shoot over them without considering open teammates--I consider that an awareness problem. Yet people never doubt that he's a starter. How many turnovers did Rudy have against Charlotte? 6? How about Amir? Yet people bitch about his "boneheaded plays". If someone contributes points, rebounds, man defence, help defence, extra possessions (off. rebounds and diving for loose balls) while limiting his turnovers--screams positive benefit for the team.

    The best teams have their dominant scorers and players with roles surrounding them. Amir is an examplary role player. An extreme example to make my point is Dennis Rodman. The guy was an amazing man defender, the best rebounder in history... but left a lot to be desired in other areas. Amir--not as strong as a man/post defender, Amir is a better help defender by far, not as strong a rebounder, but is no slouch...better offensive rebounder.. a better passer, a better shooter, can finish the pick and roll so defence has to respect him in the key... I could go on.
    I mean, have you seen Rodman shoot free throws? The guy didn't give a crap. He just laughed and threw it at the rim... almost chest-passed it at the rim. Mutombo couldn't do anything but block and rebound... Those players do specific things better than Amir, but Amir is clearly the better all-around player... yet they are starters, and Amir can't be?

    It also depends on the make-up of your team and what it needs. If you have crap perimeter players, then hopefully you have a post player with a strong offensive game. For the Raptors, Amir is exactly what we need. Starter in my eyes. I respect that other people have opinions, but I can't help feel that questioning Amir is ludacris.

    **Edit** Amir had same number of turnovers as Gay last game... however Amir's season averages and career averages are still lower than Gay's.
    Last edited by NoFrillz; Sat Mar 16th, 2013 at 12:49 PM.

  27. #19
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,845
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoFrillz wrote: View Post
    Man! I rarely post on here, but I'm sick of people hating on Amir. If Amir left, of course it would make an impact on the Raptors rebuild... How could it not? It makes an impact each game when he is substituted out.

    I know the guy doesn't have a polished offensive game, but that doesn't mean he isn't starter quality. You only need so many starters that can create or have plays called for them. It would be great if your bigs have some slicks post moves, but realistically, if you have solid perimeter players, you just need your bigs to be able to finish at the rim/close to the rim. That keeps defences honest on your post players. In that regard, Amir is actually one of the best on the team. He has the softest touch on the team, some of the best hands I've ever seen on a big (he catches some really crappy passes, even on the run), and is a great finisher.

    People overlook that being able to catch the ball is a basketball skill (anyone remember butter-finger bosh?). The ability to play with high intensity/effort the entire game is a skill (Jordan, Kobe). The ability to finish around the basket with a soft-touch is a skill.

    Yeah, he sometimes has awareness issues as people have mentioned (bad passes, etc.), but so do a lot of starters. When Gay dribbles into 2 defenders and tries to shoot over them without considering open teammates--I consider that an awareness problem. Yet people never doubt that he's a starter. How many turnovers did Rudy have against Charlotte? 6? How about Amir? Yet people bitch about his "boneheaded plays". If someone contributes points, rebounds, man defence, help defence, extra possessions (off. rebounds and diving for loose balls) while limiting his turnovers--screams positive benefit for the team.

    The best teams have their dominant scorers and players with roles surrounding them. Amir is an examplary role player. An extreme example to make my point is Dennis Rodman. The guy was an amazing man defender, the best rebounder in history... but left a lot to be desired in other areas. Amir--not as strong as a man/post defender, Amir is a better help defender by far, not as strong a rebounder, but is no slouch...better offensive rebounder.. a better passer, a better shooter, can finish the pick and roll so defence has to respect him in the key... I could go on.
    I mean, have you seen Rodman shoot free throws? The guy didn't give a crap. He just laughed and threw it at the rim... almost chest-passed it at the rim. Mutombo couldn't do anything but block and rebound... Those players do specific things better than Amir, but Amir is clearly the better all-around player... yet they are starters, and Amir can't be?

    It also depends on the make-up of your team and what it needs. If you have crap perimeter players, then hopefully you have a post player with a strong offensive game. For the Raptors, Amir is exactly what we need. Starter in my eyes. I respect that other people have opinions, but I can't help feel that questioning Amir is ludacris.

    **Edit** Amir had same number of turnovers as Gay last game... however Amir's season averages and career averages are still lower than Gay's.
    Right...except Rodman was a part of at least 2 separate championship teams. Would the Raps miss Amir? Yes. Could they replace him easier than finding a go-to scorer, 2 way centre(or big) or legitimate starting PG? Yes.

    It makes me think you're actually just really young and never watched Rodman play. Rodman was arguably the best defensive player in the league for a decade, when you factor in man D, help D, rebounding and teh ability to guard the other team's best big man. Comparing him to Rodman is exactly the kind of homerism of which Raptors fans are chronically guilty. The fact that you put Amir in the same category as Rodman and Mutumbo, two of the most dominant defensive forces of the modern game, is ludicrous (that's how you spell ludicrous, btw, not like the rapper's name) to me. There is absolutely no stat you can put out there that will make me think differently.

    *also, you should notice that at no point in my first post did I hate Amir. I said he's fine as a starter or coming off the bench, but that the type of role he plays is hardly irreplaceable. While it's nice to have that utility 2nd/3rd big locked up, it's little consolation when this team still has so many holes. JV looks like a legit 2 way C who maybe, just maybe, has enough talent to also be a franchise player. Gay is not quite that good it seems. Demar is clearly not at this point and would have to show dramatic improvement. Ross is too young. Lowry is not, and at this point is questionable as even the starting PG of the future. Basically, this team has one legit piece that should be a major part of a contender in JV. Amir fits well next to him and I'd love to keep him, but there are more important things to take care of, and if the cost of getting, say a legit franchise player or PG was including Amir in a deal, I don't think I could turn that down.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Mar 16th, 2013 at 01:28 PM.

  28. #20
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If Amir continues this way, his value will be unbelievable. Colangelo's will be busy answering calls about his availability. It's probably the best chance to trade Bargnani. Bargnani and Amir packaged together could fetch us an all-star caliber player.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •