Everything Amir Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hateslosing wrote: View Post
    My issue with someone like Karl Landry is you have to pay him about the same as Amir. So now you've got $20 million tied up at power forward, which is the equivalent to a max guy, and you've got two middle of the pack, capable of starting, power forwards. We did this for years with Calderon and every "replacement" who came through, and the end result was always that we were good there, but not good enough to win. So instead, just pick up a cheap back up and let Amir play the bulk of the minutes. Your production will stay high because most of the minutes are still going to a guy capable of starting, and you'll have saved on the cap hit that Landry would cost. You do not need two starting calibre guys at every postion, you need one high calbre guy and some other to give him rest.

Then you take that money and get some good, cheap, workmanlike players to fill up your bench and your set to go. Think Reggie Evans or Anthony Parker.
    This is a not a bad idea only there's a little bit of risk involved. If Amir returns to the player he was(good back up), Raps. will be weak at PF. Nevertheless, it's not a bad idea. With the MLE, they could strengthen another need. BC's is pretty creative. Something like Bargnani for Boozer cannot be ruled out.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
      This is a not a bad idea only there's a little bit of risk involved. If Amir returns to the player he was(good back up), Raps. will be weak at PF. Nevertheless, it's not a bad idea. With the MLE, they could strengthen another need. BC's is pretty creative. Something like Bargnani for Boozer cannot be ruled out.
      Any deal that brings back value for Andrea can't be ruled out. Boozer would be a great addition and may be able to play beside Amir for stretches. I think he's also a better (offensive) player than Landry.
      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

I would say that Boozer is definitely a better offensive player than Carl Landry.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          I would say that Boozer is definitely a better offensive player than Carl Landry.
          Me=Captain Obvious
          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

I like how people were so against around the trade deadline but now thier all on board for Boozer.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              I like how people were so against around the trade deadline but now thier all on board for Boozer.
              You're generalising. If you go back you'll find that the pro Boozer guys were not against him before.
              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                I think he's also a better (offensive) player than Landry.
                Without a doubt. If he's acquired, he'll be the 2nd option. If not ahead of Demar, on par for sure.
                Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  Who does he look like he's about to crap on in your avatar?
                  He is the avatar, and can crap on whoever he likes!!

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                    But do you know who that guy is under him? I'm just curious. He looks like he really doesn't like that he just got dunked on and has Amir's ass in his face

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                      I wanna say Anthony Randolph, but I can't tell for sure.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        Also, there were pretty big implications with the tax if they acquired him before the deadline. See the repeater tax issue.

And still a pretty good chance this team would not have made the playoffs. They were what? 22-33 at the deadline, I believe. Assuming .500 for the playoffs, that would have meant going 19-8 in the last 27 games. That's crazy. That's like a .700 winning %. The only teams doing that well overall are Miami, San Antonio and OKC. I think we would just see a slightly better version of the team currently being trotted out, so maybe with Boozer, an at least .500 ballclub, or likely maybe just bit better...but not .700.

I always said I didn't like the Boozer trade at the deadline. Even as a fallback option, there's a strong chance it's still there in the summer. Chicago clearly didn't go out to target Bargnani, he was just the best possible deal they could get for Boozer in terms of cost and fitting into their team. That will still be true in the summer. I think it actually made sense to wait out, if they didn't like the deal, screw it, see if Bargs bounces back (which he obviously didn't) while showcasing him...and again, regardless, the possibility should still be there after the season.
                        Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Mar 22, 2013, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• I'm usually not a fan of +/-, but when its looked at over the course of a full season, I think it's a very telling stat.

Comment

• Just goes to show how important he is, because anytime he isnt out there its like a big red carpet is laid out to our basket...

Comment

• p00ka wrote: View Post
                              "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with"- Crosby, Stills, Nash

The guy plays hurt all the time, hustles on every play, continues to develop his skills and focus at only 25 years old, is now competitive vs every opponent in the league, has shown all kinds of commitment to the team/organization, is on a steal of a contract. Yet so many complain about wanting bigger breasts. sheeeeesh. Blake, Love, Dirk, LA, etc aren't coming to play for the Raps any time soon, so appreciate the guy, minus all the "yeah buts".
                              Thank you. And how many players in the starting lineup do we need whose best assets are putting the ball through the basket? Derozan, Gay and Lowry's best abilities are scoring, not defending, rebounding or passing. JV is developing into a good low post scorer, and may someday be dominant offensively in the position. And yet, many fans seem to think we need another scorer for the PF position. Going completely in the wrong direction!! I'd argue we could use one less scorer in the starting lineup. Replace Gay or Derozan with a hard nosed winger that does all the little things, especially defend, and I think this lineup would be much better. Stop picking on Amir, everyone knows there are better PF's out there, but do we really need one? Boozer and Gasol are 16-18 mil/yr players, and would provide this team with too many players that require the ball offensively to work well together. Thats my opinion. Tell me one team in the league that has 5 scorers in their starting 5? None that I can think of. And many teams these days are electing to keep one of their best scorers on the bench. LAC - crawford, OKC - Martin, SAS - Ginobili, NYK - Stoudemire, even Miami has Allen.

Amir doesn't need to be allocated to the bench, nor do the Raps need a more prominent PF. We need to retool our offense and start playing some actual bball, instead of this ISO, one on one school yard crap.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                                Thank you. And how many players in the starting lineup do we need whose best assets are putting the ball through the basket? Derozan, Gay and Lowry's best abilities are scoring, not defending, rebounding or passing. JV is developing into a good low post scorer, and may someday be dominant offensively in the position. And yet, many fans seem to think we need another scorer for the PF position. Going completely in the wrong direction!! I'd argue we could use one less scorer in the starting lineup. Replace Gay or Derozan with a hard nosed winger that does all the little things, especially defend, and I think this lineup would be much better. Stop picking on Amir, everyone knows there are better PF's out there, but do we really need one? Boozer and Gasol are 16-18 mil/yr players, and would provide this team with too many players that require the ball offensively to work well together. Thats my opinion. Tell me one team in the league that has 5 scorers in their starting 5? None that I can think of. And many teams these days are electing to keep one of their best scorers on the bench. LAC - crawford, OKC - Martin, SAS - Ginobili, NYK - Stoudemire, even Miami has Allen.

Amir doesn't need to be allocated to the bench, nor do the Raps need a more prominent PF. We need to retool our offense and start playing some actual bball, instead of this ISO, one on one school yard crap.
                                Things I agree with:
                                - no more scorers needed in the starting lineup
                                - a good glue/defense guy would bring balance to the starting lineup
                                - not enough ball movement in the starting lineup
                                - too much individual/ISO plays on offense from the starting lineup
                                - Gay & DeRozan are a bit redundant in their strengths and style of play

Things I disagree with:
                                - not needing a more offensively gifted starting PF

I agree with most of your points, but I think your logic is a little flawed:

- If you replace Johnson with a starting PF who demands double-teams, it will open up driving lanes and outside shooters for more efficient scoring opportunities and better ball movement (+1 scorer)

- Removing the redundancy of Gay/DeRozan and adding a glue/defense guy, could both be achieved by a single change in the starting lineup, ie: Fields becomes starting SG (-1 scorer)

- Both of these observations would seem to make a potential trade of DeRozan for the TBD starting PF a logical solution to all the points you raised (lets face it, Bargnani is unlikely to return such a PF and DeRozan would be wasted money as a bench player)

The solution seems simple to me:
                                1. trade Bargnani for anything positive (ie: not just an equally bad or worse contract)
                                2. amnesty Kleiza
                                3. trade DeRozan (possibly with Bargnani) for a starting PF
                                4. Fields becomes starting SG (defense, glue-guy, balance in the starting lineup)
                                5. Johnson becomes backup PF / 3rd big, improving the team's depth and 2nd unit quality

Comment

Working...
                                X