Everything Amir Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything Amir Johnson

I don't know what is required to qualify for an everything thread, but if Amir Johnson hasn't achieved it then no one else on the Raptors deserves one. All he does is come out every night and give it his all. Only 25 and he is basketball weathered and basketball smart. Every fan of the Raptors loves what he brings and he never takes a night off.

Congrats on your career high Amir. You are now in the books with one of the four best rebounding games in Raptor history.
    A
    45.16%
    B
    48.39%
    C
    3.23%
    D
    0.00%
    F
    3.23%

I'll admit I wasnt a fan of Amir before this season seemed very clumsy. Ed davis was my pick for PF going forward and I have to say I was dead wrong Amir really shocked me this season Im so comfortable watching the game when hes out there beside Rudy Gay and DeMar, he scraps and hustles to finish broken plays.

High motor guy and thats the kind of thing you just cant teach he brings it every night regardless of opponent works hard for his money. A true Fan-Favorite.

Comment

What is really impressive to me, and has surprised me most about Amir is how he deals with crap awful passes at the last second from his team mates. He somehow finds a way to bull the ball up to the rim and if it doesn't go in initially he is the guy in position to grab the rebound and finish. His offensive rebound this year must be pretty good.

Actually he is averaging three a year this season in 28 minutes. Best season so far. Highs in points rebounds assists and blocks and his turnovers are down from last year. He seems to be learning how to improve his game every year. His numbers and efficiency will only get better as the talent around him improves.

Comment

We always here people talk about Demar's work ethic, but it has truly been amazing to see how Amir has improved.

He went from a guy who came into the league out of high school (this is his 8th year and he is only 25) as a deep second round draft pick with a rough offensive game, no jumper, and little presence around the rim, to a guy who can hit the occasional outside shot, has great touch around the rim, crashes the boards, and makes big impact in NBA games. Not to mention he plays some solid D. I think his work ethic is greatly over looked, and it is one of his best qualities.

Comment

He's grown in Toronto, a lot! Hopefully he has a few more great years here and develops a dependable jumper before all that athleticism runs out.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
            I'll admit I wasnt a fan of Amir before this season seemed very clumsy. Ed davis was my pick for PF going forward and I have to say I was dead wrong Amir really shocked me this season Im so comfortable watching the game when hes out there beside Rudy Gay and DeMar, he scraps and hustles to finish broken plays.

High motor guy and thats the kind of thing you just cant teach he brings it every night regardless of opponent works hard for his money. A true Fan-Favorite.
            People always forget that Amir Johnson is a NATURAL 4.

Amir = Easily the Raps MVP this season.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

This guy will be huge come playoff time next year. Him and JV are going to be bigtime for us

Comment

I really hope that he is going to be our starting power forward next year.

Comment

I don't know about you guys but i feel that Amir still needs to work on his lower body. He's much stronger up top but his legs still seem skinny to me which is why he gets pushed off sometimes by bigger guys.

Comment

My thoughts on Amir:

He's a beast, I've got no problem with being our starting PF.

He's the team's MVP night in, night out.

My thought's on "Sticky Threads"

They're for players who create drama. Amir is above that shizzle, homie. He doesn't deserve one, for all the right reasons.
                    Last edited by ezz_bee; Sat Mar 16, 2013, 04:17 AM.
                    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Amir truly doesn't get the recognition he deserves, he asks for nothing, but performs for everything. This man is a walking double-double, and his motor runs at a 110% each and every night.

Like ezz_bee mentioned, stickies - in my opinion - are for the big name guys on the team. Amir is quite the hard worker, and definitely does amazing things for this team, but he's a blue collar guy, rarely does anything wrong on the floor, and like mentioned in the above, away from drama. He's one of those safe guys you just can't talk trash about.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

What we Raptor fans and especially the team brass should be glad about is the fact that he has two more years left in his contract. I mean we have seen so many players do extremely well for a year or two, earn big contracts, then slump and become a headache for the Raps. to trade. I still think he's a back up but I'd be more than happy to be wrong.
                        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

I love Amir.

I love everything about him except the bonehead ie. lack of focus mistakes he frequently makes.

Still think he is best served as 1st big off the bench.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            I love Amir.

I love everything about him except the bonehead ie. lack of focus mistakes he frequently makes.

Wow I can't explain how much I disagree with that statement. He has been the one Raptor (along with Jose who is ofcourse no longer here) to stay focused game in and game out over the last 4 years. It probably explains why they've been the only two consistent ones over that same time period.

The "mistakes" Amir makes are almost always out of effort, and not of the bonehead variety.

I'll concede the obvious mouth peice incident - but one event in an 8 year career can be fairly overlooked.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              I used to share this opinion, but Amir keeps producing, efficiently, and consistently. The big change for me has been his interior passing. This is the first year he's shown us glimpses of having this ability. If this is something he can demonstrate consistently by the end of the year, then I can't see how you can replace him with anyone who can match his productivity and efficiency.

We've already got scorers on the starting unit, so getting someone who is offensive minded and needs touches on offense may make our problematic offense even more problematic. If you can swing a bargs (+Kleiza!) for Pau deal, then sure do it, but the more I look at who we at on this team, the more I think that Johnson is exactly what we need in the starting unit. I'm actually curious how good we could be if we kept bargs as the first big off the bench.

I know he hasn't played well coming off the bench to date, but unless we get a decent return for him, I'm happy to devote more time to the bargs off the bench experiment.

Starters:
                              Lowry
                              Derozan
                              Gay
                              Johnson
                              Valanciunas

Bench
                              Telfair?
                              Ross
                              Fields
                              Bargs
                              Gray (only when matchups dictate)

I think that's a pretty solid 9-10 man rotation imo, assuming Bargnani can do something from the second unit. Assuming that Amir or JV is almost always paired with Bargs, that should minimize defensive problems. Hopefully Casey has learned you CANNOT play barg's as a small ball center. EVER.

I actually think that team as constructed is more likely to get the fifth seed, than the 10th seed next year. Although, there are a lot of variables that could go either way: Ross, and others, increasing their 3pt FG%. Passing/ball movement on Offense. JV and Ross getting better defensively.

Sure the odds of us winning a playoff series are still low, but again I could see us winning a game or two in pretty much any series except (maybe) the Heat.

Maybe I'm being optimistic because I want the raps to make the playoffs soo badly, or my standards of success are too low, or both, but despite having a roster that has holes, we also have a roster that's got a good amount of TALENT.
                              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
                              X