Disappointing Season, Optimistic Outlook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I think it comes down to whether or not Landry commits to reconstructing his shot this summer. And I mean, full on changing the mechanics of how he holds/releases the ball. Because nobody who shot-puts the ball (with zero arc) will ever shoot high percentages.
    If he doesn't commit to becoming a good shooter, than he must be mentally ill. Any wing player in the NBA knows they need a decent outside shot to be of any relevance to their team. Even Demar has come a long way

Comment

"Disappointing Season, Optimistic Outlook"

Sounds like the Raptors have a new official motto.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
        I've learned to try and temper my optimism. Each year is the same story in that we have a terrible season, but you can see clear paths to improvement, however each year the team finds a way to get back to mediocrity. Actually mediocrity is what we were in the Bosh era and sadly we care currently trying to get back to that stage.

We went into this season thinking our 12th ranked defense (I beleive) from last season could take another step forward with Lowry at the point, a legit sized C in JV, DD and ED with another year of experience and time to improve their D and with the only set back I saw being the switch from JJ to Fields. I think our defense regressing to Triano levels was the most disappointing aspect of this entire season for me. I really don't even care about Bargnani's lack of production because I thought our defense is what we'd be able to hang our hat on every night, but then the basketball gods laid a big ole' steaming pile of crap on our team. Can't wait to see what they have planned for us next season!
        Good healthy discussion here! nice thread.

Agree with the sentiment of bad D dissapointment. What has happened to pounding that rock?!
        On a bright side... there is a place for optimism for the next season. For me, personally its JV. His development will solidify the D - ala "Irving stop" as early as next season. By the way, he's put up some nice post moves in consequtive games now. This is as good as it gets for me at this point. We just might have something very special!

As for PF debate - I'd like to see Acy develop into poor man's Amir. Yeah, it would be ideal to have some one like Bass with defined roles for each player (Toronto issues?!) but there is a risk of team chemistry - another controversy, who starts: Amir or Bass?? Some may say Amir is a true professional/has been coming off the bench before; I'd say- leave the guy in the starting five. He is the motor behind this team. He's been nothing but spectacular this season! Limited skill, but all heart. One of the bigs gotta have post moves - it's true to be successfull any team needs at least one. Looks like JV could be this dude for us.

Finally, my two cents on expectations... as I've said before, this team as-is with the natural development/chemistry is at least 0.500 team, which is typically good enough for a 6-7 seed in the East. I think this should be our expectations, and front offcie evaluation criteria, for the next season. Would this satisfy me as a fan long term? No! I want a contender. Currently, the Raps are not there and I have not heard the brass laying a solid plan to get there but its another topic for discussion.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
          I hate to say it .. but I think you are a sucker on this one. His regression from a shooting standpoint was considerable last year, and is even worse this year. I just dont see him going from a guy who literally has zero confidence shooting outside of 10 feet right now to a legitimate NBA jumpshooting threat. That doesnt mean he cant give us some solid minutes (we have lots of guys who like to shoot) .. cutting to the hoop, playing D, running the break. Basically everything that AA should do now, except he ruins by chucking non stop.
          My opinion is based on the video of his rookie year to early this season shooting form.

Call me a sucker again but the nerve damage in his elbow caused him to adjust his shot for the better part of 2 years. Now that the issue has been resolved combined with a summer of shooting to return to his 'native' form, I think he can return close to his rookie numbers. His jumper of late has not caused me to cover my children's eyes so that is an improvement.

We'll see.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            My opinion is based on the video of his rookie year to early this season shooting form.

Call me a sucker again but the nerve damage in his elbow caused him to adjust his shot for the better part of 2 years. Now that the issue has been resolved combined with a summer of shooting to return to his 'native' form, I think he can return close to his rookie numbers. His jumper of late has not caused me to cover my children's eyes so that is an improvement.

We'll see.
            Yeah, if you go even further back, it looks totally fine in college too...Something clearly happened (elbow issue I guess?) to totally mess up his own shot. I also hope that because of this, he can regain his old form. Like you say though, we'll see.

Comment

No matter who the Raps start next year, the team will eventually need to find a low post scorer. Can JV develop a low-post game? Perhaps and hopefully so, but Amir is way too much of a jump shooter. We need someone who gets the attention of the defence (and some double-teams) to create space for the plethora of slashers we have. David West is the proto-type I think we need, but unfortunately there aren't a lot of these guys left in the league.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                No matter who the Raps start next year, the team will eventually need to find a low post scorer. Can JV develop a low-post game? Perhaps and hopefully so, but Amir is way too much of a jump shooter. We need someone who gets the attention of the defence (and some double-teams) to create space for the plethora of slashers we have. David West is the proto-type I think we need, but unfortunately there aren't a lot of these guys left in the league.
                I think JV will get there faster than people think. His post skills are quite strong, and more importantly, some of the fundamental ones that involve practice (footwork, positioning) are already better than any big this team has ever had (not that that's too hard). Really, his positioning on the block is fantastic for a player in this generation. So many big men have no idea how to plant themselves on the block. He's really difficult to front, or pester with arms/energy. He just gets you on his hip and totally seals you off. Love it.

Comment

JV has the ability to be a consistent low post guy some of the moves he does in games just catch other Cs (not named Demarcus Cousins) completely off guard.

JV is very Tenacious.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    I think JV will get there faster than people think. His post skills are quite strong, and more importantly, some of the fundamental ones that involve practice (footwork, positioning) are already better than any big this team has ever had (not that that's too hard). Really, his positioning on the block is fantastic for a player in this generation. So many big men have no idea how to plant themselves on the block. He's really difficult to front, or pester with arms/energy. He just gets you on his hip and totally seals you off. Love it.
                    I agree.

If I were coaching this team, we would be running plays (post up plays) consistently for JV. The sooner he develops the confidence and moves in the post, the better this team will be.

My favourite thing about JV is his heart and energy. We need a PF/C who bangs, gets rebounds, plays inside and JV does all these things well. Did you see how well he played against Dwight Howard?? I must admit he's better than i expected. All he needs is more experience (defensive positioning and avoid picking up ticky tac fouls), hard work during the off-season (post moves - he's already a decent shooter) and he needs to get bigger/stronger.

If he can put the work in...The sky is the limit for JV.

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
                      I agree.

If I were coaching this team, we would be running plays (post up plays) consistently for JV. The sooner he develops the confidence and moves in the post, the better this team will be.

My favourite thing about JV is his heart and energy. We need a PF/C who bangs, gets rebounds, plays inside and JV does all these things well. Did you see how well he played against Dwight Howard?? I must admit he's better than i expected. All he needs is more experience (defensive positioning and avoid picking up ticky tac fouls), hard work during the off-season (post moves - he's already a decent shooter) and he needs to get bigger/stronger.

If he can put the work in...The sky is the limit for JV.
                      I agree with you for the long-term, but I don't think it's fair to expect JV to be a focal point of the team's offense next year or even the year after, certainly not to the point that he'll be expected to consistently draw double-teams to open the court for the team's shooters & slashers. The potential is definitely there, as is the heart & hustle, but we have to remember just how young and raw he still is!

I'm still convinced the team needs an upgraded starting PF. Not only will it improve the starting unit, but having Johnson coming off the bench will make the 2nd unit that much stronger. I really like how a 3-big rotation of ???/JV/Johnson shapes up, with Gay/Fields even capable of playing spot minutes at PF in small-ball lineups.

Ideally a trade package consisting of Bargnani & future 1st round pick will suffice, otherwise what legit option for trade/S&T is there? DeRozan?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        I'm probably a sucker but I am expecting a return to Landry of rookie year. Basically doing all the things he does now but the ability to shoot will return. Yes, I know, still overpaid.
                        Agreed. Even without the shooting I like Fields on this team. He's over paid, yes. Whatever, he brings what this teams needs.
                        Welp, that sucked.

Comment

c_bcm wrote: View Post
                          Even without the shooting I like Fields on this team. He's over paid, yes. Whatever, he brings what this teams needs.
                          I think it's only a matter of time before Fields is traded. The reason I'm saying this is 'cause Fields was acquired in the off-season to be the starting SF. With Gay now here, Fields is an expensive option off the bench. We can look for a change in the back up SF off the bench. Also don't forget that we still have Kleiza.
                          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

I am gonna agree with Matt on this one. Landry is an outstanding bench player, who is severely under utilized on this team because Casey has a hard on for Alan Anderson.

His shooting will improve over the off season, which is good because we lack consistent shooters.
                            @RavNation

Comment

i know lowry n gay r boys...but if we wanna win...lowry's gotta go or move to backup...cuz he is no starter in this league...if u want me to be optimistic...go after jennings asap!

Comment

elarmthecity wrote: View Post
                                i know lowry n gay r boys...but if we wanna win...lowry's gotta go or move to backup...cuz he is no starter in this league...if u want me to be optimistic...go after jennings asap!
                                No thank-you. Not an upgrade.
                                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X