Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Hypothetically if we get top 3 pick who would you draft?

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    175
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Hypothetically if we get top 3 pick who would you draft?

    I'm curious mainly for the reason I'm bored and love march madness. If we got a top 3 pick who would you draft? or what would you do with the pick. If i had my choice id trade away any of the picks. There has only been 3 players so far (pre march madness) that have really caught my eye and i would like to see in raps uniform. 1 Nerlends Noel, 2 Anthony Bennet (not just he's canadian.) 3 Trey Burke.

    When drafting im thinking of our needs, another C (prob not best idea having two young C's), backup PF and PG (future and backup.) Noel is great defender and raw offensively, would be nice and there are mins available for him to develop at PF and C. I love Bennet's energy and athleticism would fit in perfectly here obviously would be instant fan favourite. Trey Burke i'm not really sure what it is i can just see his skills translating to the NBA and i dont see that in many players in this years draft. March madness always showcases all the young studs and we will all have better grasp of who we like but i'm curious pre madness as well.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Rookie JackfromNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If we got a top 3 pick I would not like to draft a backup C or PG with it I would want starting talent with the potential to be an all star. but yeah I would look for a PF and have a Bennet and Amir combination also I would look at Ollynk (whatever his name is lol) or a PG so then we could play either him or Lowry off the bench and hopefully trade Lowry for something useful.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,494
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Noel, Oladipo or Bennett.
    Writer for RaptorsWatch.com

    Twitter - @thekid_it

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Muhammad
    Bennett
    Zeller

    In that order.

    I still can't believe we traded a potential lottery pick for an unproven, career backup PG in Kyle Lowry. *shakes head*

    Btw, remember after the Washington game when i said i'd trade Lowry and Ross for Wall? Wall that time was struggling so obviously i got a lot of NO answer LOL. Now that Wall is playing like John Wall. What do you guys think? still wouldn't do it? LOL
    Last edited by TRex; Sun Mar 17th, 2013 at 02:08 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter - @RRyan22

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Rookie JackfromNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Muhammad
    Bennett
    Zeller

    In that order.

    I still can't believe we traded a potential lottery pick for an unproven, career backup PG in Kyle Lowry. *shakes head*

    Btw, remember after the Washington game when i said i'd trade Lowry and Ross for Wall? Wall that time was struggling so obviously i got a lot of NO answer LOL. Now that Wall is playing like John Wall. What do you guys think? still wouldn't do it? LOL
    there is no way the Wizards would accept that

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JackfromNZ wrote: View Post
    there is no way the Wizards would accept that
    That's what i've been saying but Raps fans in this forum were saying they wouldn't trade Ross + Lowry for Wall. Hilarious.
    Follow me on Twitter - @RRyan22

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would look to trade it.

    This is a shit year to have a top 3 pick.

    Reminds me of 2006.

    That is not to say this is a shit draft just that the talent from a top three pick compared to a 8-10 pick is not that much of a stretch.

    Guys I like in this draft are:

    Otto Porter
    Trey Burke
    Ben McLemore
    Victor Oladipo


    Cody Zeller's 6'8" wingspan and minimal athleticism is a major concern to me.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  8. Like akashsingh liked this post
  9. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I would look to trade it.

    This is a shit year to have a top 3 pick.

    Reminds me of 2006.

    That is not to say this is a shit draft just that the talent from a top three pick compared to a 8-10 pick is not that much of a stretch.

    Guys I like in this draft are:

    Otto Porter
    Trey Burke
    Ben McLemore
    Victor Oladipo


    Cody Zeller's 6'8" wingspan and minimal athleticism is a major concern to me.
    you know what would be great? If we could unload ALL our shit contracts (bargnani,fields,kleiza,..)on a small market team with capspace this summer (like the utah jazz) with the pick. That way, the small market team get's talent they wouldn't be able to attract in free agency, and we get out of an ugly financial situation.

    We do not need a rookie at this point, and already have players to build around.
    Last edited by akashsingh; Sun Mar 17th, 2013 at 07:51 AM.

  10. #9
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post
    you know what would be great? If we could unload ALL our shit contracts (bargnani,fields,kleiza,..)on a small market team with capspace this summer (like the utah jazz) with the pick. That way, the small market team get's talent they wouldn't be able to attract in free agency, and we get out of an ugly financial situation.

    We do not need a rookie at this point, and already have players to build around.
    Don't believe the Casey spin on this.

    Talent is what matters.

    For a team in a tight financial situation, rookie contracts are exactly what is needed: talented players on cheap contracts.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  11. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    715
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Don't believe the Casey spin on this.

    Talent is what matters.

    For a team in a tight financial situation, rookie contracts are exactly what is needed: talented players on cheap contracts.
    Agree 100% with this (that the casey spin is totally overblown on needing vets). Our team with have Gay (8 years), Amir (7 I think) and DD (5) playing heavy minutes in addition to lowry (7) - these are hardly inexperienced players.

    However, not sure I agree with your previous post on trading the pick. Not because I think its a great draft, more because of your last point here - given our lack of financial flexibility, young, talented players on cheap contracts are really the only way for this team to improve. I guess if someone was willing to trade a rookie from this year (or a 2014 first rounder from a bad team) - then Id think about trading it .. but not sure it makes sense for a middle of the road vetern (ie someone Lowry-esque, which is likely what we would be looking at)

    For the record, I would go with Noel, Smart and Bennett in that order. Given this draft doesnt have a standout talent, Id go with anything but wing players (sounds weird to say that after needing them for so long).

    Oh ya .. and I wouldnt touch Zeller with a ten foot pole under any circumstance.
    Last edited by mountio; Sun Mar 17th, 2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Zeller sucks .. forgot that

  12. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,918
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If we get a top 3 pick, are we even allowed to trade it?

  13. #12
    Raptors Republic All-Star stretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,772
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bennett is brutal on defense, makes Bargnani seem like a lock down defender. The opposition always looks to isolate on whomever Bennett is guarding, posting up with a big, or blowing by off the dribble by a small forward.

  14. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,428
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    That's what i've been saying but Raps fans in this forum were saying they wouldn't trade Ross + Lowry for Wall. Hilarious.
    I STILL think its a stupid idea.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

  15. #14
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    If we get a top 3 pick, are we even allowed to trade it?
    That is a good question.

    I believe yes but the Raptors would have to make the pick on behalf of the other team and trade consummated after.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  16. #15
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mountio wrote: View Post
    Agree 100% with this (that the casey spin is totally overblown on needing vets). Our team with have Gay (8 years), Amir (7 I think) and DD (5) playing heavy minutes in addition to lowry (7) - these are hardly inexperienced players.

    However, not sure I agree with your previous post on trading the pick. Not because I think its a great draft, more because of your last point here - given our lack of financial flexibility, young, talented players on cheap contracts are really the only way for this team to improve. I guess if someone was willing to trade a rookie from this year (or a 2014 first rounder from a bad team) - then Id think about trading it .. but not sure it makes sense for a middle of the road vetern (ie someone Lowry-esque, which is likely what we would be looking at)

    For the record, I would go with Noel, Smart and Bennett in that order. Given this draft doesnt have a standout talent, Id go with anything but wing players (sounds weird to say that after needing them for so long).

    Oh ya .. and I wouldnt touch Zeller with a ten foot pole under any circumstance.
    I would look to trade down with another team and get a lower pick plus another asset.

    The experience Toronto has cannot be emphasized enough among the starters. DeRozan is no longer an inexperienced chump - nor is he about to be paid like one. There are a lot of successful teams with young talent among the starters and playing big minutes. TALENT is more important than anything else..... with a coach who believes in the ability of the player, of course.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  17. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Don't believe the Casey spin on this.

    Talent is what matters.

    For a team in a tight financial situation, rookie contracts are exactly what is needed: talented players on cheap contracts.
    This. People just don't seem to get it, no matter how many times you've tried to spell it out. Stockpiling talent on cheap contracts gives you the best possible flexibility to become successful.

    But it almost doesn't matter what the Raps situation is, there's always a contingent of fans that buy into the "we've got a great core to build around" spin that MLSE spews out, year-in, year-out. Unfortunately, perennially fighting for the 8th playoff spot and getting it maybe 1/3rd of the time would make most fans ecstatic. The bar for the TO sports fan is just so damn low.

  18. #17
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    357
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This is our ?th year fighting for that 8th spot?

  19. #18
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,918
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Darien wrote: View Post
    This is our ?th year fighting for that 8th spot?
    Who's fighting for that 8th spot? We certainly aren't. It's our ?th year dreaming about that 8th spot.

  20. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    715
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I would look to trade down with another team and get a lower pick plus another asset.

    The experience Toronto has cannot be emphasized enough among the starters. DeRozan is no longer an inexperienced chump - nor is he about to be paid like one. There are a lot of successful teams with young talent among the starters and playing big minutes. TALENT is more important than anything else..... with a coach who believes in the ability of the player, of course.
    Thats fair .. a lower pick this year plus maybe a middle of the road type pick in the 2014 draft .. I could get behind that type of deal. Very counter to the type of deal that BC typically does .. but stranger things have happened ..

  21. #20
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Nerlens Noel if he declares. Just the kind of Athletic long PF we need
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •