Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Raptors analytics... and an internal rift? [post #67]

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Probably the most interesting article I've read in a long time. I also love how it passive aggressively shits all over our players and coaching.

If the team is so pro analytics, why do we have so many inefficient players? This seriously boggles my mind.
    Very well said. I was thinking the same thing. All I could think about as I was reading this is a) how can our coaches be so oblivious to all of this stuff and b) how can our GM have spent so much time collecting inefficient players (and no good 3 point shooters!).

Its like we have this little experiment going on, but haven't actually applied any of it to how we run or coach the team. Seems like a colossal waste of time and money unless we actually start applying some of this stuff ...

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    doesn't that mean he's actually an ok coach. Just had sub par players to work with...and boshtrich
    Either that, or he got lucky with a mismatch of players who happened to gel quickly, and took advantage of a weak Atlantic Division for 1 season.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It is not as if the Raptors, aside from the coaching staff, have been a paragon of adherence to analytics, though. Bryan Colangelo gave Andrea Bargnani a five-year, US$50-million contract after his third year. In Bargnani’s first three years, according to player efficiency rating, he was a below-average offensive player twice and an average offensive player once, with well-conceded shortcomings both defensively and on the glass. As Bargnani has shifted into a bigger role offensively since Chris Bosh’s departure, his efficiency has dropped notably, and his deficiencies have remained. Still, he remained a focal point of this team until this year, when injuries derailed his season.

Similarly, Colangelo gave DeMar DeRozan a four-year, US$38-million extension in October. In his first three years, DeRozan was an inconsistent offensive player, with a PER below the league average each season and a personal defensive rating below that of the Raptors’ overall mark. Despite incremental improvement, those two statements remain true this year.

The investment in data-driven analysis by the Raptors should be applauded — it will likely only grow in importance in the NBA. But until everybody involved, from Colangelo to Casey to the analytics team itself, is more willing to use the findings to question their own assumptions rather than just looking to support their pre-existing beliefs, the work being done can scarcely help the Raptors become a winner.
    http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...y-be-realized/

It's all well and good to be using SportsVu. But if you're not using the results to make basketball decisions (on or off the court), what the fawk is the point?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post

It's all well and good to be using SportsVu. But if you're not using the results to make basketball decisions (on or off the court), what the fawk is the point?
    Exactly. Its like were running the funny farm around here. Very, very encouraging that we are at the forefront of this stuff. Very, very discouraging that our coach and GM dont seem to use this data to help the team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post