No announcement yet.

Boston Celtics Ruined NBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that Boston ruined the NBA. But that was back when Bill Russell getting his 11 rings.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

It's hard to say the Garnett era Celtics ruined the NBA when the only won 1 NBA championship. Also the Heat lost their first trip to the finals, and despite a 23 game win streak, they have a very slim margin or over SA and OKC for best regular season record.
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

clearly the Lakers ruined the NBA in 96.

how dare they have two first round draft picks in the same year and using them extremely well. the audacity of them picking two players who contributed heavily to the lakers dynasty instead of picking duds like Efthimios Rentzias or Martin Müürsepp who were still on the board when Kobe and Fisher were. Don't the Lakers know the only way to maintain the integrity of the league was to waste their picks for the benefit of everyone else?

Comment

I think you're forgetting that the Boston 'Big 3ers' were already way past their prime.

LeBron joined the Heat when he was 26.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            The difference between Boston and Miami, is that Boston was put together by saving up tradable assets, and moving them when the right moves came along. Boston Big 3 was just a result of good management.

Miami's was 3 players colluding to make it happen. While Miami's Big 3 did require a few shrewd, savvy moves (moving Beasley for a 2nd Rounder) it was more 3 players who wanted so badly to play together, that they would make the appropriate decisions behind closed doors, and also make the needed sacrifices (Bosh and Lebron took less money).

Besides those two teams though, I'm not sure who else you are referring to, when you say "ever since then All-Stars have been coming together to make super teams".

And I disagree that either has 'ruined' the NBA. If anything, its just more interesting.
            The only thing these "super teams" make more interesting is about four Thursday nights a year.

Isn't it much more interesting when more teams have a chance to make an impact in the title run? Isn't it mooore interesting when every team has at least one star player?

Why even be a fan of the shitty small market teams (other than pride) when you KNOW they'll lose much, much more than the more 'gifted' cities?

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
              Obviously you dont know too much about NBA history.

Showtime Lakers anybody? That team had 4... 4 HOF's.
              Superteams always appear, at least once a decade.
              Pretty sure he meant players that "schemed" their way onto a team together, which the Celtics did not do btw.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                The difference between Boston and Miami, is that Boston was put together by saving up tradable assets, and moving them when the right moves came along. Boston Big 3 was just a result of good management.

Miami's was 3 players colluding to make it happen. While Miami's Big 3 did require a few shrewd, savvy moves (moving Beasley for a 2nd Rounder) it was more 3 players who wanted so badly to play together, that they would make the appropriate decisions behind closed doors, and also make the needed sacrifices (Bosh and Lebron took less money).

Besides those two teams though, I'm not sure who else you are referring to, when you say "ever since then All-Stars have been coming together to make super teams".

And I disagree that either has 'ruined' the NBA. If anything, its just more interesting.
                This. And there's no doubt that Wade was having an ongoing dialogue with Pat Riley who basically wasn't even trying to do anything but clear massive cap space for the 2010 crop. If Riley or Wade was involved, actually that would be tampering.

BC had a huge hand in helping to build the Heat too. The JO/Mario trade gave them the cap space to sign at least one of the big 3, and the Raps pick that Riley scammed from BC in the trade was used as the pacifier in the Bosh sign-and-trade.

And I don't think it's ruined the NBA, but it definitely diminishes my respect for those 3 guys as pure competitors. By scheming and teaming up, they eliminated about 80-90% of the competition and made the journey to the championship much easier for themselves. The journey is part of what defines the character of greatness. Like Jordan said, he couldn't envision any scenario where he would have called Larry Bird or Magic Johnson and said something like, 'hey guys let's join forces and beat up on the other guys'.

Comment

my disgust with miami actually doesn't have as much to do with the despicable way the 3 amigos formed, and more to do with the franchise and pat riley..

they were determined to scam their way into a winning team... this predates delonte's unofficial step son and the ostrich deciding they sucked too much on their own to be team players

mind you, you'd have to be on team "tanking is bullshit" to agree with me..

but does anybody remember the 07-08 season? it never seems to get mentioned anymore... but that season was the purest form of tanking ever to exist.

BS injuries... trotting out a starting lineup comprised of glorified d-leaguers night after night.. they didn't even try to pretend that legitimate basketball was going to be anywhere near the arena

all for more ping pong balls because they were desperate for derrick rose..

fuck that team

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                    my disgust with miami actually doesn't have as much to do with the despicable way the 3 amigos formed, and more to do with the franchise and pat riley..

they were determined to scam their way into a winning team... this predates delonte's unofficial step son and the ostrich deciding they sucked too much on their own to be team players

but does anybody remember the 07-08 season? it never seems to get mentioned anymore... but that season was the purest form of tanking ever to exist.

BS injuries... trotting out a starting lineup comprised of glorified d-leaguers night after night.. they didn't even try to pretend that legitimate basketball was going to be anywhere near the arena

fuck that team
                    Well said. I couldn't agree more.

Comment

michael beasley's only true value in this world is as a paragon of karma.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post

fuck that team
                        +1. And as smart as Riley is, he picked Michael freakin' Beasley, when he could have had Kevin Love or Russell Westbrook. Not quite Darko over Wade & Bosh, but still.

Comment

Westbrook and wade would be a terrible back court though. They are both pretty much the same player except westbrook screams after every dunk.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                            Westbrook and wade would be a terrible back court though. They are both pretty much the same player except westbrook screams after every dunk.
                            +1

hahaha

Comment

Lol. I dunno, can you have too much of a good thing? K-Love was the obvious pick in hindsight. Even Brook Lopez was available.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                                I disagree, Wade isn't as athletic, and came in with the ability to play-make regardless. Westbrook is still learning the point guard position.
                                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X