Greatest Active Rock Singer Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Active Rock Singer Today?

who do you guys think is the best rock singer still actively making music?

My vote goes to Soundgarden/Audioslave frontman Chris Cornell.

Some others to consider;

Eddie Vedder
    Gord Downie
    Hugh Dillon
    Scott Weiland
    Bono
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell. Always been my favorites, especially Vedder

Comment

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
        Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell. Always been my favorites, especially Vedder

Cornell is better than Vedder. But, I still absolutely adore Eddie and he only trails Cornell on my list. Also, great tune.

Mack North wrote: View Post
        I'm trying not to laugh because kroeger is actually not a bad singer.But, he's lucky if he cracks top 15,imho.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

Those are pretty awful choices by today's standards. When was the last time soundgarden, hip, pearl jam or bono actually released anything good lately at all? And Scott Weiland? Ouch. Nobody considered him good in STP hey days and certainly isn't now.

Even Dave grohl today is far better and has stood the test of time way better than those guys, and I'm not even a huge foo fan.

Josh homme easily tops the list here.

Comment

Ken Casey of the Dropkick Murphys

sure. there's MANY more vocally gifted singers than him..

but there's one very good reason he's #1.

this.

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2013/03...g-nazi-salute/

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
              Even Dave grohl today is far better and has stood the test of time way better than those guys, and I'm not even a huge foo fan.

These are exactly the two that came to mind for me.

Especially Josh. BIG fan.

But for my #1 I'm going with Dan Auerbach from the Black Keys.

I'd also put John Mayer on this list, which may get me some heat. Hes come a long way since "Your Body is a Wonderland". Amazing Guitar Player. Great Vocalist.
              Last edited by Joey; Thu Mar 21, 2013, 02:48 PM.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                Ken Casey of the Dropkick Murphys

sure. there's MANY more vocally gifted singers than him..

but there's one very good reason he's #1.

this.

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2013/03...g-nazi-salute/
                When I read about this a couple days ago I totally wasn't even surprised. Haha Casey is awesome.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  When I read about this a couple days ago I totally wasn't even surprised. Haha Casey is awesome.
                  i love how he had no hesitation... as soon as he noticed him it was like "oh this fucker is going down"

they're in toronto in june.. already got my tickets

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                    Those are pretty awful choices by today's standards. When was the last time soundgarden, hip, pearl jam or bono actually released anything good lately at all? And Scott Weiland? Ouch. Nobody considered him good in STP hey days and certainly isn't now.

It's actually not about the bands. Just the singers. Cornell was with audioslave and then did solo stuff and soundgarden just recently released a new album which isn't bad at all. Vedder has been around, just not with pearl jam,but, they are going to be releasing a new album.

Dave Grohl is a good musician. But, i'm not a fan of him or as a singer. Homme is not beating out those guys either.

Comment

It's kind of a problem in rock when talking about singers. There are lots of good bands where you can't possibly say the singer is even close to good...and with much varied styles. Some guys who are pretty meh singers have been part of hugely successful bands, and they aren't bad singers, they are very good for the style of music the band performs, but they just aren't great singing talents.
                      Examples:
                      Anthony Kiedis from the Chili Peppers
                      Zack de la Rocha from Rage Against the Machine
                      Michael Stipe from R.E.M.

*I've heard both Kiedis and de la Rocha live, and man, they both sang really well in the shows, but still, Sinatra they ain't
                      Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Mar 22, 2013, 04:15 PM.

Comment

I've also seen Josh Homme live, in fact one of the times I saw RHCP, Queens opened for them. He's a pretty good singer. I don't know if I'd call him great. But again, it's hard to think of great active rock singers.

Comment

A couple of underrated singers in rock...who can sound a little similar depending on the song:
                          -Thom Yorke, Radiohead
                          -Matt Bellamy, Muse

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            A couple of underrated singers in rock...who can sound a little similar depending on the song:
                            -Thom Yorke, Radiohead
                            -Matt Bellamy, Muse
                            Ya, they're pretty good. Radiohead hasn't done anything in a while, have they?

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                              Ya, they're pretty good. Radiohead hasn't done anything in a while, have they?
                              They put out an album a couple of years ago. I haven't actually listened to that one yet (King of Limbs)...the last stuff of theirs I listened to was In Rainbows.

Also, just randomly looked him up, apparently currently released an album with a "supergroup" consisting of Yorke, Flea from RHCP, Nigel Godrich (also from Radiohead as a producer), Joey Waronker the drummer from Beck and R.E.M, and some Brazilian musician named Mauro Refosco who I don't know at all on percussions (probably amazing). They're calling themselves Atoms for Peace. So Yorke is a guy who'll always be in music I think, because it's just what he loves to do.

As for Bellamy, I've had the chance to see him live and he's a great performer all around.

*Unfortunately, neither really has the voice to call them the "best" singer, but they're both pretty good singers, being about as good as they can be with their voices.

Comment

Working...
                              X