Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoud Raptors pursue a reputed. proven Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoud Raptors pursue a reputed. proven Coach?

In their 15 year history, Raptors have made the play-offs 5 times. The play-off teams were coached by B Carter(once), L Wilkens(twice) and Sam Mitchell(twice). Coaches of teams that did not make the play-offs include B Malone, D Walker, K O'Neal, J Triano and D Casey.

Were the teams that made the play-offs, the five best teams the Raps. have fielded? My answer is 'No'. Jay Triano's team(Bosh, Hedo etc) was deep and pretty strong. Another team that comes to mind is Kevin O'Neal's team(Carter,Rose, Marshall etc). These are two teams that come to mind and there may be a couple more. In fact Triano's team was comfortably placed at the 4th place in the East at the AS break before falling out of play off contention.

B Carter, L Wilkens(HoF) and S Mitchell(Coach of year winner) are arguably the best Coaches Raps. have had. Is it coincidental that the 5 play-off teams were coached by one of these Coaches, did their coaching make the difference or is it a bit of both? If in fact the "Coach Makes a Difference", should Raps. pursue a reputed, proven Coach? I think yes, what about you?
    Attitude Is A Choice.

IMO Raps. should try and acquire S V Gundy but the big question is-will he accept considering the team is mediocre in talent?
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Yes, a coach that has experience helps the team win.

Comment

Better GM first. Better players next. Better coach third.

Any other order is just wasting time and resources.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post

Any other order is just wasting time and resources.

I think the team has a good group of players. What it lacks compared to the previous play-off teams is a superstar go-to guy(VC and Bosh). Changing players, unless it's for a super-star in return will not help or make a difference. A proven Coach might.
          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

George Karl - Coach, Masai Ujiri, GM. Oh wait, wrong team.
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Trade JV he's our problem!!!
              Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                Definitely GM first. Get players that work together.

GMs often bring in their own coaches, which would be fine, but for sure the first two are more important.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                  In their 15 year history, Raptors have made the play-offs 5 times. The play-off teams were coached by B Carter(once), L Wilkens(twice) and Sam Mitchell(twice). Coaches of teams that did not make the play-offs include B Malone, D Walker, K O'Neal, J Triano and D Casey.

Were the teams that made the play-offs, the five best teams the Raps. have fielded? My answer is 'No'. Jay Triano's team(Bosh, Hedo etc) was deep and pretty strong. Another team that comes to mind is Kevin O'Neal's team(Carter,Rose, Marshall etc). These are two teams that come to mind and there may be a couple more. In fact Triano's team was comfortably placed at the 4th place in the East at the AS break before falling out of play off contention.

B Carter, L Wilkens(HoF) and S Mitchell(Coach of year winner) are arguably the best Coaches Raps. have had. Is it coincidental that the 5 play-off teams were coached by one of these Coaches, did their coaching make the difference or is it a bit of both? If in fact the "Coach Makes a Difference", should Raps. pursue a reputed, proven Coach? I think yes, what about you?
                  Ironically Butch Carter may have our best coach.....I would like SVG but BC needs to go first.

Comment

Ive said it on other forums. mike brown. look at our roster and look at our deficiencies. if this is going to be our roster he is the one to get the most out of them. go get him bc

Comment

I'd rather move the GM before the coach.
                      in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

I'd dump the GM first, then the coach as well. BC had more than 5 years, and the raps have been stuck in mediocrity. I believe it's time for a new man in-charge, hopefully someone like Alex Anthopolous.

Regarding coaching, I'm hoping that either Casey implements an offensive system since the raps don't have a natural playmaker since jose left. The offense is just terrible, no one can score, Gay/derozan isos are terrible, and scrubs like Andersen and Lucas chuck up most of the shots. How about running something like Princeton offense? It worked well in Sacramento and Washington back in the day, both were playoff teams. Both don't have a playmaking point guard (bibby, arenas). It didn't work with LA because it shuts down Nash's talent a a playmaker, and Kobe needs/wants the ball.

I'd like stan van gundy as a head coach. He was decent in miami and orlando (went to the finals). And maybe he could bring in Patrick Ewing as his top assistant to work out with Jonas, just like he did with Yao Ming and Dwight howard. And he could have his pizzas, not just a slice. LOL

Comment

2KJ wrote: View Post
                          I'd dump the GM first, then the coach as well. BC had more than 5 years, and the raps have been stuck in mediocrity. I believe it's time for a new man in-charge, hopefully someone like Alex Anthopolous.

Regarding coaching, I'm hoping that either Casey implements an offensive system since the raps don't have a natural playmaker since jose left. The offense is just terrible, no one can score, Gay/derozan isos are terrible, and scrubs like Andersen and Lucas chuck up most of the shots. How about running something like Princeton offense? It worked well in Sacramento and Washington back in the day, both were playoff teams. Both don't have a playmaking point guard (bibby, arenas). It didn't work with LA because it shuts down Nash's talent a a playmaker, and Kobe needs/wants the ball.

I'd like stan van gundy as a head coach. He was decent in miami and orlando (went to the finals). And maybe he could bring in Patrick Ewing as his top assistant to work out with Jonas, just like he did with Yao Ming and Dwight howard. And he could have his pizzas, not just a slice. LOL
                          Many people think BC should be fired. Personally I think he deserves one more year so he get's a fair opportunity to complete the rebuilding he started post Bosh. This doesn't mean that I endorse every move he's made and if he's fired, I wouldn't complain. However, I don't see it solving the Coaching problem. I think the team as composed presently, with a significant addition, can make the play-offs comfortably if it has a better Coach. Stan Van Gundy would not make a small difference but a huge one.

Like many I did not support the hiring of the inexperienced AA(Blue Jays) only to end up eating my words. No success yet but in 3 years he's taken one of the worst teams to a team that's starting the season favourites. Obviously Beeston saw something in him but I'm sure he too would admit that he didn't expect such a brilliant GM. My point is, it's not often that a franchise stumbles into someone like AA.
                          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Yes.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

I agree with Craiger at top. Dump the GM, acquire better players (specifically better role players - no Anderson, no Lucas - and a reliable inside presence in the front-court, i.e Millsap/Boozer, and Amir becomes 3rd big. Oh yeah, no thank you to Bargnani) THAN change the coach(ing).

I agree with the fact we have the players and talent to be in the playoffs, but they're not being used to their full potential.
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                              X