Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 121

Thread: Can someone explain to me what Casey is doing wrong?

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,539
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here's what Casey is doing wrong:

    He's not fulfilling expectations of a fan-base who thought this team would make the playoffs.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  2. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
  3. #22
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,196
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Here's what Casey is doing wrong:

    He's not fulfilling expectations of a fan-base who thought this team would make the playoffs.
    That is definitely true.

    However he has done it without giving youth (in my opinion) enough opportunities, regressing on defense, and becoming isolation based on offense.
    "You don’t know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  4. #23
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,846
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    it has gotten to the point where i have no faith in this team whatsoever

  5. Like TRex liked this post
  6. #24
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Check the power rankings on NBA.com

    http://www.nba.com/2013/news/powerra...?ls=nbahpfull1

    Raptors
    Pace: 92.9 (24), OffRtg: 102.9 (14), DefRtg: 105.0 (23), NetRtg: -2.1 (20)

    the current core needs a training camp under Casey to reestablish the defensive identity. The starters rank well defensively the bench just generates all negatives which results in our current low defensive rating 23.... :O
    This says nothing about our offense since we got Gay; give a good link or don't make these statements

  7. #25
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    This says nothing about our offense since we got Gay; give a good link or don't make these statements
    If you followed the NBA power Rankings you could find out yourself we were consistentlly top 10 since the Gay deal, he tok some nights off recently we were knocked down to 14th most recently... just do a little research its all there Im not going to link 6 different power ranking pages...

  8. #26
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    716
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Casey's isolation heavy offense bails out the opposition by allowing them to rest on that end of the floor. We are not a threat scoring inside, we take way too many low percentage shots & we take too long to get into the offense.

    Some of this is the make up of the personnel. We are composed of individual scorers, low IQ basketball players & quite frankly, we lack the overall skill level in order to be competitive. This includes the lack of good screeners, the lack of play makers, the lack of individuals who can make the simple pass.

    To summarize, Casey's shortcomings is a result of a tremendously faulty roster that our brilliant general manager has blessed us with. Although I have been critical of Casey, I have also had the opportunity to coach a team (youth team, albeit). From experience, I can pretty much guarantee that a coach can only do so much & the players are left to execute on the court.

    In a typical NBA game, you have a certain # of possessions which I believe ranges around 90 - 100 per game. You can't expect to run a play every single possession because there are breakdowns, fast breaks, etc. What you can control is the offensive philosophy & I find that our team takes long range jumpers more often than scoring inside as well as substitution patterns.

    What I can criticize Casey on is the lack of creativity in terms of offensive sets. I feel that the plays take way too long to formulate & the lack of counter options when teams take away the obvious first & second options from our plays. But again, that is a direct result of the lack of choices in terms of personnel. We simply have too many like-minded players with similar skill sets & therefore, makes for a terrible combination.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

    -- Charles Barkley

  9. #27
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Here's what Casey is doing wrong:

    He's not fulfilling expectations of a fan-base who thought this team would make the playoffs.

    What BC(not Casey) claimed was that they believed they had a chance to make the play-offs. Not only did BC claim that but the Media, Experts, Analysts etc, thought so as well. Not a definite play-off team but a team that will, if not barely make it, at least be close. The question is - did BC have reason to say that? Based on his off-season acquisitions and LAST YEARS SUCCESSFUL CULTURE CHANGE the answer is 'yes'.

    This is where Casey has failed. From a defensive team last year they went to a run and gun team and then back to a defensive team and then neither to no identity whatsoever. This is not to say that he's not trying.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  10. #28
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    If you followed the NBA power Rankings you could find out yourself we were consistentlly top 10 since the Gay deal, he tok some nights off recently we were knocked down to 14th most recently... just do a little research its all there Im not going to link 6 different power ranking pages...
    These stats are for the whole year, useless for the discussion.

  11. #29
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    If you followed the NBA power Rankings you could find out yourself we were consistentlly top 10 since the Gay deal, he tok some nights off recently we were knocked down to 14th most recently... just do a little research its all there Im not going to link 6 different power ranking pages...
    You cannot seriously believe that this team is a top ten NBA team. The top ten teams in the West are all clearly better than the Raps, as are at least 7 teams in the East. You could even add Washington and Milwaukee to that mix.

    This is a bottom third team. With, or without, Rudy Gay.

    EDIT: Sorry, misread the series of posts..... my bad.
    Last edited by slaw; Tue Mar 26th, 2013 at 09:34 AM.

  12. #30
    Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    "Can someone explain to me what Casey is doing wrong?"

    He took a job working for Brian Colangelo.

    Oh yes, and actually believed he could actually do something with Bargnani.

  13. Like Rapstor4Life liked this post
  14. #31
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    These stats are for the whole year, useless for the discussion.
    Um no its not stats are stats..... updated weekly with any changes in how the team is doing. If you cant follow NBA's own stats whos stats do you follow?

    its updated through overall team but you cant just neglect the fact that with Calderon the offense was hovering around 18th-22nd weeks since Gay it climbed 8 spots... brought us to 10th recently without or with him playing injured Gay due to Back problems its 14th.... stats are stats I dont care if you dont agree with them, Im just bringing them to the forums attention.

  15. #32
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    "Can someone explain to me what Casey is doing wrong?"

    He took a job working for Brian Colangelo.

    Oh yes, and actually believed he could actually do something with Bargnani.

    Thats the main reason behind the failures I believe.

  16. #33
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,539
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    What BC(not Casey) claimed was that they believed they had a chance to make the play-offs. Not only did BC claim that but the Media, Experts, Analysts etc, thought so as well. Not a definite play-off team but a team that will, if not barely make it, at least be close. The question is - did BC have reason to say that? Based on his off-season acquisitions and LAST YEARS SUCCESSFUL CULTURE CHANGE the answer is 'yes'.

    This is where Casey has failed. From a defensive team last year they went to a run and gun team and then back to a defensive team and then neither to no identity whatsoever. This is not to say that he's not trying.
    Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I didn't buy any of it. Not BC, not the media, not the so-called experts. I looked at this team and decided, in the summer, that we'd end up with only a slightly better winning percentage than last year, and I made that decision before any of the acquisitions. If anything, the moves we made (or tried to make) in the offseason only SOLIDIFIED my opinion of this team.

    Conclusion: I didn't need to look at what other people thought, all I needed was to see the roster and have the knowledge that Bryan Colangelo was still running the team.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  17. #34
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    "Can someone explain to me what Casey is doing wrong?"

    He took a job working for Brian Colangelo.

    Oh yes, and actually believed he could actually do something with Bargnani.
    Don't these go together? I'm pretty sure the biggest pre-requisite BC was looking for during his coaching search was a guy who wanted to coach Bargs, and believed he could make him better.

    Seriously, I feel like "do you think Bargnani is/can be an all-star?" would've been one of the first, if not the first, questions to candidates.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Mar 26th, 2013 at 11:04 AM.

  18. #35
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,846
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    Casey's isolation heavy offense bails out the opposition by allowing them to rest on that end of the floor. We are not a threat scoring inside, we take way too many low percentage shots & we take too long to get into the offense.

    Some of this is the make up of the personnel. We are composed of individual scorers, low IQ basketball players & quite frankly, we lack the overall skill level in order to be competitive. This includes the lack of good screeners, the lack of play makers, the lack of individuals who can make the simple pass.

    To summarize, Casey's shortcomings is a result of a tremendously faulty roster that our brilliant general manager has blessed us with. Although I have been critical of Casey, I have also had the opportunity to coach a team (youth team, albeit). From experience, I can pretty much guarantee that a coach can only do so much & the players are left to execute on the court.

    In a typical NBA game, you have a certain # of possessions which I believe ranges around 90 - 100 per game. You can't expect to run a play every single possession because there are breakdowns, fast breaks, etc. What you can control is the offensive philosophy & I find that our team takes long range jumpers more often than scoring inside as well as substitution patterns.

    What I can criticize Casey on is the lack of creativity in terms of offensive sets. I feel that the plays take way too long to formulate & the lack of counter options when teams take away the obvious first & second options from our plays. But again, that is a direct result of the lack of choices in terms of personnel. We simply have too many like-minded players with similar skill sets & therefore, makes for a terrible combination.
    A lot of it is on Casey though. He's letting scrubs like Lucas and Anderson chuck every time they get the ball. They should only be used as spot up corner 3 point shooters nothing more.

  19. #36
    Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Don't these go together? I'm pretty sure the biggest pre-requisite BC was looking for during his coaching search was a guy who wanted to coach Bargs, and believed he could make him better.

    Seriously, I feel like "do you think Bargnani is/can be an all-star?" would've been one of the first, if not the first, questions to candidates.
    Absolutely to all the above.

    But I also think, and this is pure speculation, that Casey was changing his approach after he was forced to use Ed more. That he accepted he couldn't get more out of Bargnani (hell came with that high water) and that Ed was a more effective player. (his statement that "it would be tough to get Ed off the floor"(paraphrased) could be an indication of this).

    So the reason he took the job (Bargnani) was what he initially did wrong, but the reason he's had problems since is his bosses decisions and/or abiltity to give him players has been whats 'wrong' since.

  20. #37
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Um no its not stats are stats..... updated weekly with any changes in how the team is doing. If you cant follow NBA's own stats whos stats do you follow?

    its updated through overall team but you cant just neglect the fact that with Calderon the offense was hovering around 18th-22nd weeks since Gay it climbed 8 spots... brought us to 10th recently without or with him playing injured Gay due to Back problems its 14th.... stats are stats I dont care if you dont agree with them, Im just bringing them to the forums attention.
    The debate is how we do since acquiring Gay so there is no point in looking at the stats for the whole season.

    The first game with Gay was on the first of February. Since that game we are 23th in OffRtg and 21th in DefRtg. Source

    What you were doing is looking at the season stats and yes, before acquiring Gay we were 11th in OffRtg and 26th in DefRtg. Source

    Stats are stats, and these are the stats. They pretty much confirm about our offense what anyone can see happening on the court: it sucks.
    Last edited by Soft Euro; Tue Mar 26th, 2013 at 03:24 PM.

  21. #38
    Raptors Republic Rookie robert parrish 00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    That is definitely true.

    However he has done it without giving youth (in my opinion) enough opportunities, regressing on defense, and becoming isolation based on offense.
    Exactly, all of the above! Only thing missed is that his rotations are terrible in the 4th.

  22. #39
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    I see a lot of fire the coach around here. What's up with that?

    Offensively these are some if the best offensive sets I seem run in toronto ever !

    The defensive is solid

    Are people mad cause Ross is not in the game more? Well he needs to hit his open shots first.
    I disagree. Need better ball movement on offence.

  23. #40
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,196
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    I disagree. Need better ball movement on offence.
    And better defense on defense.

    Continuous and constant fouling is not defense, unfortunately.
    "You don’t know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •