Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain to me what Casey is doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robert Horry was on Sportsnet590 last night talking hoops, and he said if the Raptors don't make the playoffs next year, he'll come and coach the team for free.

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard while alone in my car....

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      Robert Horry was on Sportsnet590 last night talking hoops, and he said if the Raptors don't make the playoffs next year, he'll come and coach the team for free.

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard while alone in my car....
      This is what I think of when I think of Robert Horry and the suspensions that followed:

Comment

That move won the Spurs a title

This is what I think of when I think of Robert Horry:

Comment

No the flop or all flops is bosh against Boozer. The worst flop in the history of the nba, he reacted like 10 mins after Boozers elbow grazed his nose.

Comment

But you guys forgot about when the referees helped the Lak...I mean when Horry helped the Lakers win the Conference Finals!!

Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
              But you guys forgot about when the referees helped the Lak...I mean when Horry helped the Lakers win the Conference Finals!!

ugh, fuck that moment

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                No the flop or all flops is bosh against Boozer. The worst flop in the history of the nba, he reacted like 10 mins after Boozers elbow didn't even touch his nose.
                ftfy

Comment

Here is a great answer to the question "What is Casey doing wrong?" The Raptors do not have an offensive system. Casey spent all last season concentrating on offense that would be SHUT DOWN in the playoffs. Zach Lowe says it better than I ever could:

The playoffs magnify the problems of being systemless. Give an elite defense two weeks to scout a single opponent with a blah offense, and that defense will smother those first options. If you can’t adapt on the fly, you might score at a bottom-five rate, as the Clippers did in the final five games of the Memphis series — a drought that began before Griffin’s ankle sprain. (The Clips actually put up a solid scoring number in the Game 6 closer, when Del Negro submitted one of the most bizarre coaching performances in recent NBA history.) The Clippers and Thunder are similar in that they built play-based offenses, and not systems, around multiple superstars, and learned in the postseason that those play-based offenses simply cannot be sustained without one of the two superstars.

The Bulls provide an interesting contrast. Their offense is boring and unglamorous. They are allergic to the 3-point line. They’re slow in the perimeter when Nate Robinson is on the bench. They run the same three or four actions on just about every possession. But they make good use of all their personnel, and they run a continuous system — a pick-and-roll here flows into a dribble handoff there, which flows into a catch-and-shoot action or another pick-and-roll someplace else on the floor. The Bulls managed to squeeze out nearly 100 points per 100 possessions in the playoffs and a very decent 102.3 points per 100 possessions in their seven-game thriller against the Nets. They maintained something within hailing distance of an average offense despite spinal taps, dudes vomiting on the bench, plantar fasciitis, and a general lack of available NBA bodies. The Thunder couldn’t manage anything close to that without Russell Westbrook against Memphis, and the Clippers were right on Chicago’s playoff pace after their Game 1 romp.

The Clippers’ offense was fine in the big picture. Del Negro actually designed some pretty nice stuff out of timeouts in that Memphis series, and he made smart use of blind back screens over the last two seasons — screens that took advantage of all the heads turned in Paul’s direction. But the playoffs are about the small picture. The opposition gets better, the margin of error shrinks to zero. Teams need to maximize every possession on both ends, and Del Negro was not the coach to bring out that maximization. A cadre of players, presumably including Paul, had reached that conclusion during the postseason, as ESPN.com’s Kevin Arnovitz reported on Tuesday.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...ess-in-the-nba
                  The Raptors do not have any superstars in the same league as Westbrook or Griffin - let alone a second in players like Durant and Griffin. Coaches matter but I agree systems matter much more - offense and defense. The fact Casey spent so much time on offense - by his own admission resulting in the defense turning to mush as previous years before his arrival - is an indication that Casey is not the guy moving forward.

Comment

The thing isss. Will this new coach be able to get this team ready for a playoff run next season, in such limited time?

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      The thing isss. Will this new coach be able to get this team ready for a playoff run next season, in such limited time?
                      Will Casey? I have my doubts.

The thing about a system is having the right players to fit it. So I do think a new coach would be able to get this team ready for a playoff run next season assuming the pieces fit.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Here is a great answer to the question "What is Casey doing wrong?" The Raptors do not have an offensive system. Casey spent all last season concentrating on offense that would be SHUT DOWN in the playoffs. Zach Lowe says it better than I ever could:

The Raptors do not have any superstars in the same league as Westbrook or Griffin - let alone a second in players like Durant and Griffin. Coaches matter but I agree systems matter much more - offense and defense. The fact Casey spent so much time on offense - by his own admission resulting in the defense turning to mush as previous years before his arrival - is an indication that Casey is not the guy moving forward.
                        I understand what your saying but, you have to consider how many times Casey has had to change the offensive package throughout the season. With injuries to Lowry and Bargnani. With Gay coming to the team mid season. He definitely have the team excepted to have all seasons. I could really care less about the offense to tell you the truth. We just need to get back to that D we were playing 2 seasons ago. I was glad to here Casey say in his exit interview that he was just going to focus on the D. Two teams(Indianna and Memphis) right now are playing in their respectfull conference final. Their offense aren't that great but, they can guard! I feel like the way are roster is built if we could ever become a top 10 defense. The offense will take care of its self. We have way more athletes than the two teams I just mention. We'd more explosive off are defensive stops. I'm good with Casey as long as that D comes back.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          I understand what your saying but, you have to consider how many times Casey has had to change the offensive package throughout the season. With injuries to Lowry and Bargnani. With Gay coming to the team mid season. He definitely have the team excepted to have all seasons. I could really care less about the offense to tell you the truth. We just need to get back to that D we were playing 2 seasons ago. I was glad to here Casey say in his exit interview that he was just going to focus on the D. Two teams(Indianna and Memphis) right now are playing in their respectfull conference final. Their offense aren't that great but, they can guard! I feel like the way are roster is built if we could ever become a top 10 defense. The offense will take care of its self. We have way more athletes than the two teams I just mention. We'd more explosive off are defensive stops. I'm good with Casey as long as that D comes back.
                          I agree on the D - 100% absolutely. However you still need to score and Casey runs sets out of high school or inefficient ISOs. How many games over the last two seasons have had stretches over 5 minutes with no field goals? His sets are great when the long jumpers fall but when they don't it is dreadful and a team like Miami has shown the ability to shut them down completely at the flick of a switch.

Call me greedy but I'd like to see something like the other two teams remaining in SA and MIA - great O and D.

San Antonio: 7th OffRtg, 3rd DefRtg
                          Miami: 2nd OffRtg, 7th DefRtg

Miami does it with superstar talent and complimentary pieces while SA does it with borderline superstar talent (Timmy is great but not what he was) with complimentary pieces/ideal fits to the system.

I know Toronto was 13th in offensive rating but, in my opinion, it was highly inefficient. To give an idea they were 24th in pace while Miami was 23rd - granted a large part of that was due to talent. However SA were 6th in pace and 7th in OffRtg due to their system and pieces - and the same can be said on D as well.

Comment

• Lots of high school sets for sure.

For me, I always thought that defense is built around systems, while offense is built around a philosophy.

When Casey first came I remember him talking about this type of thinking but he never got the offense to flow the way that it should. By adding slow developing plays like isos and motion offenses that push the shooter away from the rim the style the team thrived in (fast ball swings from sideline to sideline, pick and rolls, weak side cuts) disappeared. There's no coincidence that when he took the reigns off Lowry, Lowry improved. Kyle would set up pnrs from weird angles, call for both bigs and have them role into space. This gave room for DD on the wing to drive, or Gay to either sit in the corner, cut, or find space in the mid-range. It also helped Landry's game since he was hesitant to shoot beyond a layup.

The only player who seemed to benefit from traditional motion was Demar, but he could do the same by causing havoc in the paint and popping out to the wing. Plus, he's way more effective driving to the rim, or posting up smaller 2s.
                            Last edited by blackjitsu; Fri May 24, 2013, 04:16 AM.

Comment

• Casey only coached 2 seasons if this man is shipped out of town its going to be a sad day in Raptor land, the team was flawed from the get go.

he deserves next season to run a team without the Bargnani being here I know im repeating myself but its true he coached good ball without Bargs and the defensive identity was there.

Comment

• I think he deserves another season as well. He already took responsibility for the offensive misdirection earlier on in the season and during training camp that set the pace a non-repeat of the defensive play we saw the prior season.

I think he'll do good this year. He has to. His job relies on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X