Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain to me what Casey is doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    These stats are for the whole year, useless for the discussion.
    Um no its not stats are stats..... updated weekly with any changes in how the team is doing. If you cant follow NBA's own stats whos stats do you follow?

its updated through overall team but you cant just neglect the fact that with Calderon the offense was hovering around 18th-22nd weeks since Gay it climbed 8 spots... brought us to 10th recently without or with him playing injured Gay due to Back problems its 14th.... stats are stats I dont care if you dont agree with them, Im just bringing them to the forums attention.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
      "Can someone explain to me what Casey is doing wrong?"

He took a job working for Brian Colangelo.

Oh yes, and actually believed he could actually do something with Bargnani.

Thats the main reason behind the failures I believe.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
        What BC(not Casey) claimed was that they believed they had a chance to make the play-offs. Not only did BC claim that but the Media, Experts, Analysts etc, thought so as well. Not a definite play-off team but a team that will, if not barely make it, at least be close. The question is - did BC have reason to say that? Based on his off-season acquisitions and LAST YEARS SUCCESSFUL CULTURE CHANGE the answer is 'yes'.

This is where Casey has failed. From a defensive team last year they went to a run and gun team and then back to a defensive team and then neither to no identity whatsoever. This is not to say that he's not trying.
        Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I didn't buy any of it. Not BC, not the media, not the so-called experts. I looked at this team and decided, in the summer, that we'd end up with only a slightly better winning percentage than last year, and I made that decision before any of the acquisitions. If anything, the moves we made (or tried to make) in the offseason only SOLIDIFIED my opinion of this team.

Conclusion: I didn't need to look at what other people thought, all I needed was to see the roster and have the knowledge that Bryan Colangelo was still running the team.
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
          "Can someone explain to me what Casey is doing wrong?"

He took a job working for Brian Colangelo.

Oh yes, and actually believed he could actually do something with Bargnani.
          Don't these go together? I'm pretty sure the biggest pre-requisite BC was looking for during his coaching search was a guy who wanted to coach Bargs, and believed he could make him better.

Seriously, I feel like "do you think Bargnani is/can be an all-star?" would've been one of the first, if not the first, questions to candidates.
          Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Mar 26, 2013, 11:04 AM.

Comment

torch19 wrote: View Post
            Casey's isolation heavy offense bails out the opposition by allowing them to rest on that end of the floor. We are not a threat scoring inside, we take way too many low percentage shots & we take too long to get into the offense.

Some of this is the make up of the personnel. We are composed of individual scorers, low IQ basketball players & quite frankly, we lack the overall skill level in order to be competitive. This includes the lack of good screeners, the lack of play makers, the lack of individuals who can make the simple pass.

To summarize, Casey's shortcomings is a result of a tremendously faulty roster that our brilliant general manager has blessed us with. Although I have been critical of Casey, I have also had the opportunity to coach a team (youth team, albeit). From experience, I can pretty much guarantee that a coach can only do so much & the players are left to execute on the court.

In a typical NBA game, you have a certain # of possessions which I believe ranges around 90 - 100 per game. You can't expect to run a play every single possession because there are breakdowns, fast breaks, etc. What you can control is the offensive philosophy & I find that our team takes long range jumpers more often than scoring inside as well as substitution patterns.

What I can criticize Casey on is the lack of creativity in terms of offensive sets. I feel that the plays take way too long to formulate & the lack of counter options when teams take away the obvious first & second options from our plays. But again, that is a direct result of the lack of choices in terms of personnel. We simply have too many like-minded players with similar skill sets & therefore, makes for a terrible combination.
            A lot of it is on Casey though. He's letting scrubs like Lucas and Anderson chuck every time they get the ball. They should only be used as spot up corner 3 point shooters nothing more.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              Don't these go together? I'm pretty sure the biggest pre-requisite BC was looking for during his coaching search was a guy who wanted to coach Bargs, and believed he could make him better.

Seriously, I feel like "do you think Bargnani is/can be an all-star?" would've been one of the first, if not the first, questions to candidates.
              Absolutely to all the above.

But I also think, and this is pure speculation, that Casey was changing his approach after he was forced to use Ed more. That he accepted he couldn't get more out of Bargnani (hell came with that high water) and that Ed was a more effective player. (his statement that "it would be tough to get Ed off the floor"(paraphrased) could be an indication of this).

So the reason he took the job (Bargnani) was what he initially did wrong, but the reason he's had problems since is his bosses decisions and/or abiltity to give him players has been whats 'wrong' since.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                Um no its not stats are stats..... updated weekly with any changes in how the team is doing. If you cant follow NBA's own stats whos stats do you follow?

its updated through overall team but you cant just neglect the fact that with Calderon the offense was hovering around 18th-22nd weeks since Gay it climbed 8 spots... brought us to 10th recently without or with him playing injured Gay due to Back problems its 14th.... stats are stats I dont care if you dont agree with them, Im just bringing them to the forums attention.
                The debate is how we do since acquiring Gay so there is no point in looking at the stats for the whole season.

The first game with Gay was on the first of February. Since that game we are 23th in OffRtg and 21th in DefRtg. Source

What you were doing is looking at the season stats and yes, before acquiring Gay we were 11th in OffRtg and 26th in DefRtg. Source

Stats are stats, and these are the stats. They pretty much confirm about our offense what anyone can see happening on the court: it sucks.
                Last edited by Soft Euro; Tue Mar 26, 2013, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  That is definitely true.

However he has done it without giving youth (in my opinion) enough opportunities, regressing on defense, and becoming isolation based on offense.
                  Exactly, all of the above! Only thing missed is that his rotations are terrible in the 4th.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                    I see a lot of fire the coach around here. What's up with that?

Offensively these are some if the best offensive sets I seem run in toronto ever !

The defensive is solid

Are people mad cause Ross is not in the game more? Well he needs to hit his open shots first.
                    I disagree. Need better ball movement on offence.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                      I disagree. Need better ball movement on offence.
                      And better defense on defense.

Continuous and constant fouling is not defense, unfortunately.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        And better defense on defense.

Continuous and constant fouling is not defense, unfortunately.
                        it is if you are fouling Dwight Howard
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                          Unless he goes 25 for 39 at the stripe like he did against Orlando lol
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                            Fair enough but lets focus on the other 80 games.

Comment

we need ball movement

honestly our biggest problem is the pg position...we have too many shoot first pgs if not all of them...another thing is we have completely lost the pick and roll game and post game...we run too much isolation and too much small ball...we need to use jv more...cuz i havent seen a game where he couldnt be effective..sure he needs time to grow...but the kid balls out and he doesnt even touch the ball when he works hard on d...we need to be able to to trust our guys more and award them for the things they do right on defense...plus this isolation game is not working..dd is a horrible three point shooter and player off the dribble and rudy gay and his back problems are makin him shoot the worst in his career..also not a very good 3 point shooter...we need more basket cuts for fields and derozan...we need lowry to play like a pg and not like rodney stuckey...cuz its just awful what he is doin right now...he is tryin to hard to get everyone involved and he is not really good at it...cuz he has no idea how to play pick and roll...maybe once a game u'll see him pass it of the screen...other then that him lucas and bassy are dribbling for to damn long...another thing is dwane casey implemented a great d for us this year...and now this year we r great in ball control in o...but with teams like the raptors you have to work on defense and stick with it, you cant expect a young team to learn the system after one year and expect them to know it all...this isnt boston or miami

Comment

not this year...sorry last year***

Comment

Working...
                                X