Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain to me what Casey is doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain to me what Casey is doing wrong?

I see a lot of fire the coach around here. What's up with that?

Offensively these are some if the best offensive sets I seem run in toronto ever !

The defensive is solid

Are people mad cause Ross is not in the game more? Well he needs to hit his open shots first.

iso/iso/amir pnr that's what I usually see. This pattern throughout 48 minutes, couldnt call it very solid.
    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

they desperately need an set offense. the following are things that I think could work based on skillsets

run sets through Amir and Jonas more often in the pinch post. Both can make teams pay for not respecting their shot from there.

PnR with Jonas and Amir more often.

keep in mind DeRozan and Gay will be the ones running off the screens and in that deep is a much better mid range option.

When the clock gets to 5 the majority of the time the ball needs to get back to Lowry. I'd rather one of his long range bombs over Gay and DeRozan getting stripped in the paint any day.

Drive and kicks with Gay and Ross in both corners could be effective.

Backdoor cuts with Fields and DeRozan.

Short of that an actual system needs to be installed. If we are going to get back to grimey D next year (fuck I hope so) then the Triangle is something that could be effective given the interior passing of Amir and the development of JV. It would allow Lowry and Ross to thrive on open 3s as well. When you augment the triangle with a transition game things get interesting.

I don't see Princeton working with this squad. Flex could be effective...
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

JV and AMIR ISOs are effective but should be limited
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

People want more structure. I'm of the opinion the defense is a bigger issue, our offense is actually pretty good most of the time. Basically, we're losing and replacing the coach is an easy way to make a change. Casey isn't perfect, but we have bigger issues than coaching.
          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

The main issue is nobody except Amir and DeRozan know Casey's system, and the new guys were brought in and somewhere along the lines BC wanted to make Casey not coach his strengths and make the team high octane run and gun. The Raptors right now are all falling back on whatever works for them relying on their natural abilities to win because the system is being reestablished on the fly

Everyone on the team is new and ran a different style during training camp.. Raps never continued what was built upon.
            I hear a lot of people say o we need Jose we need Jose ridiculous... Jose was obviously shining because hes been here for 7 years knows everyone on the team and where there game is Calderon never exactly led the Raps to success... getting a flow offensively takes a little time.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
              I see a lot of fire the coach around here. What's up with that?

Offensively these are some if the best offensive sets I seem run in toronto ever !

The defensive is solid

Are people mad cause Ross is not in the game more? Well he needs to hit his open shots first.
              Now you're trolling.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

too much iso, not enough ball movement, our pick and roll is all but gone except for amir.

we have no team identity.

training camp can't come soon enough.

Comment

Playing too much small lineups!
                  (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

I don't like all the isolation plays for DeMar and Gay either, but you don't pay a guy $15 Million to play to his weakness. Our personnel dictates what type of offense we run. Ball movement is great if you have players that can hit perimeter shots, but it's not a strength on this team at the moment.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                      Really?

Comment

I will agree to some extent that the whole "Casey's offense is terrible" meme is overblown. The Raps are better than league average in OffRtg and rank somewhere between 11 and 15 depending on the site referenced.

Two observations though. First, while Toronto runs some good sets, they don't get good looks out of them. One really nice play they run has JV set the high screen for Lowry; JV rolls off and sets a 'pindown' screen for Derozan. Simultaneously, Amir and Gay have weakside action for gay to post-up. It's a good set. Problem is that it will typically result in a midrange jumper. I feel like a lot of the sets are catered to setting up jumpers. The other big offensive issue is the ball movement. There are not enough capable or willing passers out there. When defenses dig in, the ball stops and the offense sputters. That's part personnel, part coach.

My bigger beefs with Casey are: the defense (24th in the NBA), style of play (excruciatingly slow), questionable rotations, terrible fourth quarter execution. Not all of it is on Casey (Colangelo is ultimately to blame for this frankenstein monster of a roster) but he hasn't helped the situation.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                          I will agree to some extent that the whole "Casey's offense is terrible" meme is overblown. The Raps are better than league average in OffRtg and rank somewhere between 11 and 15 depending on the site referenced.

Two observations though. First, while Toronto runs some good sets, they don't get good looks out of them. One really nice play they run has JV set the high screen for Lowry; JV rolls off and sets a 'pindown' screen for Derozan. Simultaneously, Amir and Gay have weakside action for gay to post-up. It's a good set. Problem is that it will typically result in a midrange jumper. I feel like a lot of the sets are catered to setting up jumpers. The other big offensive issue is the ball movement. There are not enough capable or willing passers out there. When defenses dig in, the ball stops and the offense sputters. That's part personnel, part coach.

My bigger beefs with Casey are: the defense (24th in the NBA), style of play (excruciatingly slow), questionable rotations, terrible fourth quarter execution. Not all of it is on Casey (Colangelo is ultimately to blame for this frankenstein monster of a roster) but he hasn't helped the situation.
                          I figure we are a solid jump-shooting team, with DeRozan and Rudy both able to consistently hit from midrange. But you are right...when the shot isn't falling, this team struggles MIGHTILY to put the ball in the basket.
                          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                            I figure we are a solid jump-shooting team, with DeRozan and Rudy both able to consistently hit from midrange. But you are right...when the shot isn't falling, this team struggles MIGHTILY to put the ball in the basket.
                            It sounds like what you are saying is that we should trade Amir and T. Ross for Al Horford

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                              It sounds like what you are saying is that we should trade Amir and T. Ross for Al Horford
                              Wasn't what I was inferring, but I'd consider doing that trade.
                              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Working...
                              X