Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain to me what Casey is doing wrong?

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Here is a great answer to the question "What is Casey doing wrong?" The Raptors do not have an offensive system. Casey spent all last season concentrating on offense that would be SHUT DOWN in the playoffs. Zach Lowe says it better than I ever could:

The Raptors do not have any superstars in the same league as Westbrook or Griffin - let alone a second in players like Durant and Griffin. Coaches matter but I agree systems matter much more - offense and defense. The fact Casey spent so much time on offense - by his own admission resulting in the defense turning to mush as previous years before his arrival - is an indication that Casey is not the guy moving forward.
    I understand what your saying but, you have to consider how many times Casey has had to change the offensive package throughout the season. With injuries to Lowry and Bargnani. With Gay coming to the team mid season. He definitely have the team excepted to have all seasons. I could really care less about the offense to tell you the truth. We just need to get back to that D we were playing 2 seasons ago. I was glad to here Casey say in his exit interview that he was just going to focus on the D. Two teams(Indianna and Memphis) right now are playing in their respectfull conference final. Their offense aren't that great but, they can guard! I feel like the way are roster is built if we could ever become a top 10 defense. The offense will take care of its self. We have way more athletes than the two teams I just mention. We'd more explosive off are defensive stops. I'm good with Casey as long as that D comes back.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I understand what your saying but, you have to consider how many times Casey has had to change the offensive package throughout the season. With injuries to Lowry and Bargnani. With Gay coming to the team mid season. He definitely have the team excepted to have all seasons. I could really care less about the offense to tell you the truth. We just need to get back to that D we were playing 2 seasons ago. I was glad to here Casey say in his exit interview that he was just going to focus on the D. Two teams(Indianna and Memphis) right now are playing in their respectfull conference final. Their offense aren't that great but, they can guard! I feel like the way are roster is built if we could ever become a top 10 defense. The offense will take care of its self. We have way more athletes than the two teams I just mention. We'd more explosive off are defensive stops. I'm good with Casey as long as that D comes back.
    I agree on the D - 100% absolutely. However you still need to score and Casey runs sets out of high school or inefficient ISOs. How many games over the last two seasons have had stretches over 5 minutes with no field goals? His sets are great when the long jumpers fall but when they don't it is dreadful and a team like Miami has shown the ability to shut them down completely at the flick of a switch.

Call me greedy but I'd like to see something like the other two teams remaining in SA and MIA - great O and D.

San Antonio: 7th OffRtg, 3rd DefRtg
    Miami: 2nd OffRtg, 7th DefRtg

Miami does it with superstar talent and complimentary pieces while SA does it with borderline superstar talent (Timmy is great but not what he was) with complimentary pieces/ideal fits to the system.

I know Toronto was 13th in offensive rating but, in my opinion, it was highly inefficient. To give an idea they were 24th in pace while Miami was 23rd - granted a large part of that was due to talent. However SA were 6th in pace and 7th in OffRtg due to their system and pieces - and the same can be said on D as well.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of high school sets for sure.

For me, I always thought that defense is built around systems, while offense is built around a philosophy.

When Casey first came I remember him talking about this type of thinking but he never got the offense to flow the way that it should. By adding slow developing plays like isos and motion offenses that push the shooter away from the rim the style the team thrived in (fast ball swings from sideline to sideline, pick and rolls, weak side cuts) disappeared. There's no coincidence that when he took the reigns off Lowry, Lowry improved. Kyle would set up pnrs from weird angles, call for both bigs and have them role into space. This gave room for DD on the wing to drive, or Gay to either sit in the corner, cut, or find space in the mid-range. It also helped Landry's game since he was hesitant to shoot beyond a layup.

The only player who seemed to benefit from traditional motion was Demar, but he could do the same by causing havoc in the paint and popping out to the wing. Plus, he's way more effective driving to the rim, or posting up smaller 2s.
    Last edited by blackjitsu; Fri May 24th, 2013 at 04:16 AM.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey only coached 2 seasons if this man is shipped out of town its going to be a sad day in Raptor land, the team was flawed from the get go.

he deserves next season to run a team without the Bargnani being here I know im repeating myself but its true he coached good ball without Bargs and the defensive identity was there.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he deserves another season as well. He already took responsibility for the offensive misdirection earlier on in the season and during training camp that set the pace a non-repeat of the defensive play we saw the prior season.

I think he'll do good this year. He has to. His job relies on it.

Post Thanks / Like

At the very least with a new GM he deserves the "Sam Mitchell" chance lol

Post Thanks / Like

Don't be ridiculous. There's no way Casey could make such a paradigm shift in his offense ability over the course of one summer. "Give him another chance" is just another way of saying "waste yet another year".

8. Like RandomGuy, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote phez wrote: View Post
    Don't be ridiculous. There's no way Casey could make such a paradigm shift in his offense ability over the course of one summer. "Give him another chance" is just another way of saying "waste yet another year".
    which is better to have better ast around him or Casey can humble to the ast coach stand point I think Raps losing him would be a huge loss.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim Leiweke

12. Like Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Nilanka;209355]

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Elkabong;210022]
    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I agree, He's better suited for asst. Coaching. The new GM would be foolish to retain him unless the plan is to tank,
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Call me greedy but I'd like to see something like the other two teams remaining in SA and MIA - great O and D.

San Antonio: 7th OffRtg, 3rd DefRtg
    Miami: 2nd OffRtg, 7th DefRtg

Miami does it with superstar talent and complimentary pieces while SA does it with borderline superstar talent (Timmy is great but not what he was) with complimentary pieces/ideal fits to the system.
    That's not very charitable towards a player who was in the discussion for MVP before he was hurt. Yes, I am speaking of Tony Parker, a player who will likely end up in the Hall of Fame.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    That's not very charitable towards a player who was in the discussion for MVP before he was hurt. Yes, I am speaking of Tony Parker, a player who will likely end up in the Hall of Fame.
    That is true.

Parker is an all-star, no question.

I think what a better way to describe the complimentary pieces to the system is to take a look at the on/off court net +/- on the season for the Spurs this season. Not a single player is in the negative.

http://www.82games.com/1213/1213SAS.HTM
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed May 29th, 2013 at 12:52 PM.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Eric Akshinthala;210038]
    Quote Elkabong wrote: View Post

I agree, He's better suited for asst. Coaching. The new GM would be foolish to retain him unless the plan is to tank,
    The wheels on the bus go round and round. round and round. round and round...

Casey was overrated by Raps fans last season and is being unfairly blamed this year. The truth is that the team isn't very good. Mitchell got fired even though the problems weren't his fault, so that Colangelo could escape blame. Same with Triano. May as well throw Casey under the bus as well.

Maybe the reason we can't get Ujiri to Toronto is that he's having trouble climbing over the pile of bodies that are past Raptor scapegoats (Carter, Bosh, Turkoglu, O'Neal, Babcock, Bargnani, Triano, Mitchell, O'Neill).....

Having said all that, I don't think Casey is the answer here and would be happy to see him go. But let's not delude ourselves that it will solve much of anything with this mess of a roster going forward.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post

Casey was overrated by Raps fans last season and is being unfairly blamed this year. The truth is that the team isn't very good. Mitchell got fired even though the problems weren't his fault, so that Colangelo could escape blame. Same with Triano. May as well throw Casey under the bus as well.
    The result of a game(win/loss) is not an indication of good Coaching. A team can lose despite good coaching and win despite poor coaching. A good Coach is one who brings the best out of his players irrespective of the degree of their talent respectively AND MOST IMPORTANTLY manages the game(intelligent substitutions, drawing effective plays, sustain techniques etc) to the maximum. Casey lacks here.

I have never agreed with Mitchells firing. Mithcel was not great but a good Coach but I wouldn't say the same about Casey. Casey is not a good Coach.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=slaw;210048]
    Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post

Maybe the reason we can't get Ujiri to Toronto is that he's having trouble climbing over the pile of bodies that are past Raptor scapegoats (Carter, Bosh, Turkoglu, O'Neal, Babcock, Bargnani, Triano, Mitchell, O'Neill).....

Having said all that, I don't think Casey is the answer here and would be happy to see him go. But let's not delude ourselves that it will solve much of anything with this mess of a roster going forward.
    it's not about throwing people under the bus just for the fun of it.it's about looking at his 2 years of work and looking at his strengths and weaknesses.this was a painful season to sit thru and most of it from my seat can be put right at Casey's feet. we went 2-7 in overtime games and i'll tell you that we could/should have won pretty much every one of those games in regulation and he was coaching overmatched down the stretch in almost every one of those.those games we lost to the bobcats+pistons by one point each when we were 3-9 were easily winnable with some better floor general work..... the list goes on and on and i was cringing so many times this season i can't count them all.while we might not have a contender for all the marbles we did have a core that was good enough to make the playoffs with better in game management

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think anyone that think casey is a bad coach is delusional, someone said a few posts up that when the jumpers are dropping the offense is fine.

lets think about that for a second, last time I checked casey was the coach,he is not on the court missing shots so how is the offense bad if the player misses the shot but good if the player hits the same shot?

nothing is wrong with casey, the players on this team and in the nba get paid to hit that open shot, coach draws up the play to get the open shot, they have to hit it end of story.

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    I think anyone that think casey is a bad coach is delusional, someone said a few posts up that when the jumpers are dropping the offense is fine.

lets think about that for a second, last time I checked casey was the coach,he is not on the court missing shots so how is the offense bad if the player misses the shot but good if the player hits the same shot?

nothing is wrong with casey, the players on this team and in the nba get paid to hit that open shot, coach draws up the play to get the open shot, they have to hit it end of story.
    When the jumpers are falling, the team is scoring, but the offense is still shit. Because as soon as the jumpers stop falling, scoring droughts occur. A team that is full of mediocre shooters shouldn't rely on long 2's.

I'm sure Casey would be the first to admit that the offense that was run last season was pretty bad

Post Thanks / Like

We need to employ more backdoor cuts etc for easy buckets Raps should employ more use of HORNS offense but if I continue im pretty much describing what Jerry Sloan would do...lol

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information