Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain to me what Casey is doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its on the players to execute and there are limited defenders on this team mixed with 3 rookies that are making plenty of mistakes not to mention the only players left from last seasons culture change was DeMar, amir, calderon (gone) Ed (gone)Bargnani (injured/useless). That is Casey's problem.

since the Gay aqusition Raps have been playing despite being shorthanded good enough Ball to get into the play offs for the East problem is the bench cant do anything so ya we are going to lose games.

Comment

Brandon wrote:
      The thing Casey is doing wrong is he's coaching screwups.
      'A bad workman blames his tools'. Not that Casey is.
      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Dwane Casey's "Honeymoon" is just about over...

Article by Eric Koreen on Casey's struggles this season:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...rs-dwane-casey

I found one part particularly interesting, near the end of the piece.

The defence, though, is the biggest blemish on Casey’s season. He said the biggest lesson he has learned this year is to be consistent with his personality and defensive approach. The Raptors spent a lot of time working on offence during training camp.

“We did what we had to do,” Casey said. “We were last in almost everything offensively, so what does that tell you? We had to work offensively. You wish you had more time to do both.

“Next year, there won’t be an emphasis on one [end of the floor] or the other.”
        Is the lack of offseason work, and the offensive-minded training camp, to blame for the defensive woes this year?
        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
          Article by Eric Koreen on Casey's struggles this season:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...rs-dwane-casey

I found one part particularly interesting, near the end of the piece.

Is the lack of offseason work, and the offensive-minded training camp, to blame for the defensive woes this year?
          To answer your question, I don't know.

What I do know is the defense was dreadful this year and hopefully he returns it to form from last season.

On offense, I hope more ball movement and off-ball movement is implemented.

Last season, despite the horrible offense, I did enjoy the games. Maybe it came from having little to no expectations. Tough grind it out basketball makes a horrible offense easier to take. Horrible offense combined with horrible defense is just horrible.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Last season, despite the horrible offense, I did enjoy the games. Maybe it came from having little to no expectations. Tough grind it out basketball makes a horrible offense easier to take. Horrible offense combined with horrible defense is just horrible.
            I think you probably enjoyed last year more is both because of lower expectations and also because it was visibly obvious that guys were engaged in the strategy and the philosophy last year. This year, not so much. A team that's playing together, pulling the rope in the same direction, etc. is always more fun to watch and more easy to root for.

Defense wins games. The old adage is true. Unfortunately, some NBA players like offense much better than defense, and more often than not, their OWN offense at the expense of the team's offense. It's on the coach to 'try' to curb that, but at some point, grown men are responsible for their own actions, and it doesn't always indicate that the coach is useless.
            Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
              I think you probably enjoyed last year more is both because of lower expectations and also because it was visibly obvious that guys were engaged in the strategy and the philosophy last year. This year, not so much. A team that's playing together, pulling the rope in the same direction, etc. is always more fun to watch and more easy to root for.

Defense wins games. The old adage is true. Unfortunately, some NBA players like offense much better than defense, and more often than not, their OWN offense at the expense of the team's offense. It's on the coach to 'try' to curb that, but at some point, grown men are responsible for their own actions, and it doesn't always indicate that the coach is useless.
              Grown men are responsible for their own actions.... and that includes Casey. He was at the helm when the team went from nearly dead last defense to respectable and was rightfully applauded - BUT - he is also at the helm when the team went from respectable to joke again and is rightfully being booed.

I don't believe I've ever said Casey is useless. I have disagreements with a lot of his ideology this season (usage of young players, usage of older players, usage of Bargnani, double standards) and I disagree with his strategies - especially on offense. The disagreements lead me to believe he is not maximizing the talent he has to work with. Those opinions don't lead to the conclusion he is 'useless'.

Comment

from a Grantland article on Memphis:

In sum, the team is just grinding, without interruption and with fewer errors. Gay can be a dynamic offensive player on the right night, and sussing out cause and effect in a 30-game sample size is usually a fool’s errand; the Grizz might regress at any moment, especially against top postseason defenses. But Gay was shooting a low percentage and hijacking possessions in a way that cut short that pass-and-screen-and-cut-and-pass grinding precision; even his supporters admit he has a maddening habit of keeping the ball after snagging a defensive rebound, dribbling up court, and launching a jumper without a single pass.
                Casey can't fix this. Only Rudy Gay can. Same goes for Lowry. I'm not indicting those players; they can be useful in the right situations/teams. They can also be very detrimental on the wrong teams.

It's not about how you choose to label Casey; whatever the adjective, the opinion seems to be that he must go for the Raptors to succeed. My opinion is that, even if Casey goes, Toronto will not succeed. I fail to see any coach out there who can change a selfish player into a team player. And further, that Toronto CAN succeed with Casey, if the players buy in and give full effort to his strategies.
                Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Last season we had more vets and relatively the same team we had for the past 4 years chemistry also helps Defense. Everyone this season is new and foolishly built around Bargnani who was a log all season.

YAAA LETS GO WIN GAMES!!!!!! not Casey's problem judge him next season people Raps have had 8 coaches in 18 seasons.... thats DISGUSTING! fans clamoring to fire Casey lets go for our 9th & 10th coach in 19 seasons!!!! yaaaaa!!!

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
                    Casey can't fix this. Only Rudy Gay can. Same goes for Lowry. I'm not indicting those players; they can be useful in the right situations/teams. They can also be very detrimental on the wrong teams.

It's not about how you choose to label Casey; whatever the adjective, the opinion seems to be that he must go for the Raptors to succeed. My opinion is that, even if Casey goes, Toronto will not succeed. I fail to see any coach out there who can change a selfish player into a team player.
                    Nice post Jimmie. Very good points.
                    I'll agree with most of this, however, I believe there is one other thing, that isn't the 'Player' himself, that can fix a situation like that: Respected Veterans. Charles Oakley type veterans. Guys who aren't afraid to grab them by the arm and say "smarten up". Not saying there any vets like that available, but just wanted to add that in there.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                      Last season we had more vets and relatively the same team we had for the past 4 years chemistry also helps Defense. Everyone this season is new and foolishly built around Bargnani who was a log all season.

YAAA LETS GO WIN GAMES!!!!!! not Casey's problem judge him next season people Raps have had 8 coaches in 18 seasons.... thats DISGUSTING! fans clamoring to fire Casey lets go for our 9th & 10th coach in 19 seasons!!!! yaaaaa!!!
                      Who cares about the number of coaches this team has had?? Toronto has never had any significant success (playoff-wise), so why are you surprised? If this team needs to continue changing coaches in order to find something that works, than so be it.
                      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                        Who cares about the number of coaches this team has had?? Toronto has never had any significant success (playoff-wise), so why are you surprised? If this team needs to continue changing coaches in order to find something that works, than so be it.
                        what do you mean who cares how many coaches the team has had? changing coaches is a big thing, players are like students, its very hard to be learning something one way than erase all that learn something else. To put it mildly its very confusing. You cant find something that works unless you give the coach a chance Pops systems Phils system Jerry Sloans system etc etc wasnt made in just 1 year it has to be instilled.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                          what do you mean who cares how many coaches the team has had? changing coaches is a big thing, players are like students, its very hard to be learning something one way than erase all that learn something else. To put it mildly its very confusing. You cant find something that works unless you give the coach a chance Pops systems Phils system Jerry Sloans system etc etc wasnt made in just 1 year it has to be instilled.
                          A teams decision to change Coaches should not depend on the number of Coaches it has had over the years. If it is obvious that a coaching change is required, change should be made.

While I totally agree that it takes time for a system to be instilled it is also true that despite losses, signs of a good coaching system are usually quite obvious. A good Coach is one who utilises the given resources to the maximum no matter how limited the resources are. Sloan, Phil and particularly Popovich are such Coaches. Casey seemed like one such Coach last year but has done a very poor job this year.
                          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                            A teams decision to change Coaches should not depend on the number of Coaches it has had over the years. If it is obvious that a coaching change is required, change should be made.

While I totally agree that it takes time for a system to be instilled it is also true that despite losses, signs of a good coaching system are usually quite obvious. A good Coach is one who utilises the given resources to the maximum no matter how limited the resources are. Sloan, Phil and particularly Popovich are such Coaches. Casey seemed like one such Coach last year but has done a very poor job this year.
                            A reason for that, is possibly Casey himself tried to teach something new. We all know that Casey assumed the defense would stay the same, and deciding to emphasize a more offensive approach to the team. Such as trying to get the team running.
                            He always seemed to mention it, and without question, it seemed he wanted to answer the offensive side of the ball. Casey was not consistent from year to year. Yes, it does take time for a system to be instilled, but at the same time, the coach needs to keep THE SAME approach and system consistently, for any team to actually develop or adapt to that mentality.

Casey did a poor job of - like you said - maximizing the best out of the players, on an obviously more talented team compared to the previous. Lowry, Fields, JV, Ross, Lucas, some significant additions, yet we're still the same, if anything regressed on the overall play. Only thing that's changing is the actual record.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Posted this in a gamethread, about Casey, Demar, Triano and development. Maybe it could add to this discussion, maybe not:

I don't know, I think Demar and lots of Raps who have been here over the last 3-4 years suffered from Triano's presence. Triano didn't develop any of their (Bargnani, Demar, Ed, Amir...) skills very well. He did help a bit with Bargs' and Demar's offense, but not much else. In 2 seasons of Casey, those same guys have developed much better all-around. As much as I hate on Casey for his in-game management and rotations, I do believe behind the scenes he knows how to improve young players. Some guys both have had:
                              -Amir is a far better all-around player now, and basically only his J improved a bit with Triano.
                              -Ed made huge improvements clearly doing what the coaches asked him to in the summer, but is the hardest to blame Triano for with his injury one summer and lockout the next.
                              -THis is the first year Demar has made noticeable (even if statistically small) improvements in non-scoring areas.
                              -JV made huge strides even within the season...Which was partly why I was mystified by his handling at times, especially after the injury. He had clearly spent the whole time getting ready and listening to everything the coaches were saying.

Also throw in the no-nonsense approach by Casey, which is harsh but probably for the best. IT cost both Bayless and JJ their jobs in Toronto....BUT, Bayless is a better player now, maybe finally humbled (much needed for him) and learning from his past mistakes. JJ is not, clearly not learning from his mistakes.

Casey just needs to learn to have a bit more trust in his young guys in games, even if he doesn't want to play them in crunch time.

*I never really had anythign against Triano, but now that I think of it, his time in Toronto was a complete failure.
                              Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Apr 16, 2013, 08:02 AM.

Comment

It will be a better team and system when Casey trusts and he will JV has proved himself for an entire game kid is an engine. Casey isnt wrong however keep a leash on Ross though.

Comment

Working...
                                X