Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone else worried we're going to get "lucky" and get a top 4 pick this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like any of the guys at the top of the draft in part because all of them have bust potential, and because none of them fit a need for the Raptors, or are even upgrades over starters we already have. And with the Raptors as bad as we are, it says a lot about this draft that a first overall draft pick wouldn't immediately upgrade any position on the roster. Do we bring in Noel or Zeller to play behind Valanciunas? McLemore or Muhammad, and then sort out the overloaded SG position with a trade later? Is Smart deserving of a top 3 pick when he probably plays behind Lowry, at least for now? Do you reach on an undersized PF in Bennett (although one with an exceptional physique for his age)? I don't really like any of those options. I think at that point you really need to phone around and see if anyone is really high on one of those guys and willing to overpay for them. These guys are probably starters for certain teams in the league, particularly those who have holes at SG or C.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
      If we do get a top 3 pick this year (and thus keep it), I dont think thats a bad thing. Realistically, with the roster as constituted and the money we have locked up, we are well past tanking for next year.
      Depends what happens next year. Just thinking of the scenario, where Lowry and Gay turn out to not be people to build the team around (I hope that doesn't happen). Then certainly Lowry can get traded at the trade deadline with his expiring contract, and get as many draft picks as possible, and go into full tank mode. We do need to win enough games this year to have a draft pick next year, though.

Comment

RapRepRip wrote: View Post
        Depends what happens next year. Just thinking of the scenario, where Lowry and Gay turn out to not be people to build the team around (I hope that doesn't happen). Then certainly Lowry can get traded at the trade deadline with his expiring contract, and get as many draft picks as possible, and go into full tank mode. We do need to win enough games this year to have a draft pick next year, though.
        Rudy already strikes me as someone you don't want to build your team around.
        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

why tho? why don't you tank the season and get a top 3 pick, make the playoffs next year.
          i have high hopes for next year and whats the point of keeping the pick if we're going to get a worser pick, not like we're getting wiggns or parker. this year in the top 3 we can hope to get a plyer like noel, or zeller to pair up with valanciunas.

Comment

RapRepRip wrote: View Post
            Not sure that really works. A) the draft is expected to be super strong .. cant imagine that people will be trading them away very readily, certainly for a rental of Lowry (especially if he isnt playing well, which would suggest his value is MUCH lower than the pick we traded for him .. even if he still had the same two years left on his contract .. which obviously he wont)

On top of that, look at how much $ we have committed in 2015 (let alone 2014). Gay $19 mm, AB $12, AJ $7, LF $8,5m, DD 9.5 mm. Its gonna be VERY hard to blow that up and get people to take on those contracts.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
              Not sure that really works. A) the draft is expected to be super strong .. cant imagine that people will be trading them away very readily, certainly for a rental of Lowry (especially if he isnt playing well, which would suggest his value is MUCH lower than the pick we traded for him .. even if he still had the same two years left on his contract .. which obviously he wont)

On top of that, look at how much $ we have committed in 2015 (let alone 2014). Gay $19 mm, AB $12, AJ $7, LF $8,5m, DD 9.5 mm. Its gonna be VERY hard to blow that up and get people to take on those contracts.
              I guess the positive spin would be after 2015 the Raps only have DD, JV, TR, and QA on the books.... and maybe a 2014 pick and 2015 pick?

The way things are going the Raptors still might be a bottom dweller despite the big contracts.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                That is fair enough - no doubt the talent has been upped.

However, with likely no draft pick and no cap space I don't feel confident right now.

All that could change pretty quick, of course, but it would likely mean AB and one of DD or TR are the pieces moved to plug holes (assumptions on my part).

It also doesn't help me that I personally have lost all faith in GM and coach. I hope to be proven incorrect..... like so many who capitulate at the very worst time.
                BC hasn't given people much reason to feel hopeful. However, I hope he gets one more year(at least) 'cause he is one of the few GM''s who can make seemingly impossible trades happen. If anyone can get creative and plug holes, it's BC.
                Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

We have a second round pick this year. It's the kings' pick so it should be high second round.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                    We have a second round pick this year. It's the kings' pick so it should be high second round.
                    That is 2014.

Comment

We will have a low 40's pick ... something to plant overseas, or take a flier on a 3rd PG.
                      The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                        We will have a low 40's pick ... something to plant overseas, or take a flier on a 3rd PG.
                        Only if the Raps buy a pick.

2013 going to OKC and MEM
                        2014 lower of SAC or TOR going to PHX unless both are 31-36.

Comment

Working...
                        X