Colangelo loves his Italian forwards...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I'd actually venture a guess and says its well over 100.

But regardless, your points stands: any GM who decides Europe is NOT a valid source of Talent should not have a job in the NBA.

ADD #1: Depending on your definition of "Europe", one could easily make the case there are about 120 players in the NBA from Europe, based on the compiled list from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...gn_NBA_players

ADD #2: On an unrelated note, Canada has now become the country with the most foreign born NBA players. And we can still barely make a FIBA tournament. Fancy that!
    Canada isn't necessarily considered foreign.. especially since one of the teams is in Canada.

Comment

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
        I watched Datome while I was in Italy. Dude is more Garbo than AB by a mile. Heart, hustle, outside shooting game but always crashes the glass. Good (Euro) defensive player and Virtus' "glue" guy. Gawani is a better low post guy but you could tell he's out for his while Datome sets the tone for the squad. Bargs may have more skill but Big D has all the rest of the so called intangibles.

BTW, VR plays in a 4000 seater that was louder and more rambunctious than any non playoff ACC game I've ever been to.
        Most of the arenas in Europe are way louder than in NBA, even if it's finals.
        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
          Most of the arenas in Europe are way louder than in NBA, even if it's finals.
          It's awesome, you can even punch rudy fernandez in the face if your pissed that you lost

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
            It's awesome, you can even punch rudy fernandez in the face if your pissed that you lost
            Don't forget throwing batteries at refs....something the NBA should seriously consider allowing.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              It says that we're hard pressed against the cap. That we need get cheap deals in free agency. If you didn't noticed were not the only team scouting Datome either.
              Pat Riley is scouting NCAA despite issue re draft pick and cap situation. Perhaps bc could learn a thing or two from pat Riley. It's not like Riley doesn't know how to win......

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                If BC is scouting for international players, he would be better off just spying on what the scouts from San Antonio are doing. They've written the book on how to scout non-Amercian players.
                Or hire one of them for more money..

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                  Haha where did you hear about that? it's not about the loss it's about him being douche, I could PM you the link with full story if you're interested.

Nilanka'
                  Good one. Though clubs get fined heavily for that.
                  Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Luigi is good but Mario is better, let's get Mario Chalmers in the summer to be our backup PG behind Lowry.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                      Pat Riley is scouting NCAA despite issue re draft pick and cap situation. Perhaps bc could learn a thing or two from pat Riley. It's not like Riley doesn't know how to win......
                      Yeah, he was brilliant drafting Beasley 2nd, passing on Westbrook, Love, Mayo, etc.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                        Yeah, he was brilliant drafting Beasley 2nd, passing on Westbrook, Love, Mayo, etc.

I think in general we need to go easier on GMs drafting records. Most drafts beyond the 1st pick is usually a crap shoot. Sometimes even the 1st pick can be a bust.
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                          I think in general we need to go easier on GMs drafting records. Most drafts beyond the 1st pick is usually a crap shoot. Sometimes even the 1st pick can be a bust.
                          It's the same with free agent signings and contract extension. We've seen so many go awfully wrong that it must be a crap shoot as well. I suggest we don't judge gm's on those either.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                            How many rings does BC have? How many undrafted 25 year old italian forwards have a ring? Riley is a winner .....BC is not, that was my point.....Too many fans get sucked in by BC's media prowess. BC was probably on vacation in Italy and made it appear as though he was hard at work scouting.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                              How many rings does BC have? How many undrafted 25 year old italian forwards have a ring? Riley is a winner .....BC is not, that was my point.....Too many fans get sucked in by BC's media prowess. BC was probably on vacation in Italy and made it appear as though he was hard at work scouting.
                              What the hell does this have to do with your argument? Do you just hate Bargs so much that you've just got prejudice for all Italians now?

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                                It's the same with free agent signings and contract extension. We've seen so many go awfully wrong that it must be a crap shoot as well. I suggest we don't judge gm's on those either.
                                I detect snark. I didn't say don't judge them. I said go easier. If you get a pick between 10 - 30...you have a CHANCE of drafting a guy that can come off your bench and maybe start if he improves. If you draft 30 - 60, you MIGHT MIGHT MIGHT get a guy that can crack your roster and develop into a rotational piece. A top ten pick should net you an eventual starter/6th man. You could draft the next Michael Jordan and he could blow out his knee in summer league or a rec game. You could accidently land on Isiah Thomas at 60. Colangelo as a GM with the picks he had, does very well in the draft.

DeRozan/Davis/Valanciunas/Ross/Acy being the last five picks.

Even when you get the first pick there are no guarantees whatsoever. The reason Bargnani is so frustrating is because he has the talent and body to put up 24 pts and snag 10 boards a game while simultaneously opening up lanes for players by stretching defenses.

Judging a GM on free agent acquisitions and contract extensions in my opinion is a MUCH more fruitful exercise.
                                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                                X