No announcement yet.

Colangelo loves his Italian forwards...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I find the most frustrating for me about BC is that he is an above average drafter IMO. He makes better decisions when it comes to the draft than when it comes to signing free agents or giving contract extensions. YET he loves trading away his draft picks, and the players he drafts, (with the exception of Bargs). This is not optimal.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

he's like a mix of Garbo and Bargo. SAVIOR OF THE FRANCHISE!!

Comment

For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          What the hell does this have to do with your argument? Do you just hate Bargs so much that you've just got prejudice for all Italians now?

I was referring to Datome not AB. I decline to particiapate in your race baiting. The point was that BC should focus more on NCAA players. If you can get any player of any nationality that will bring championship calibre basketball to Raptors I am all for it....I just think Datome is not that guy. BC probably was on vacation in Italy and made it appear he was hard at work.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
            What I find the most frustrating for me about BC is that he is an above average drafter IMO. He makes better decisions when it comes to the draft than when it comes to signing free agents or giving contract extensions. YET he loves trading away his draft picks, and the players he drafts, (with the exception of Bargs). This is not optimal.
            It is almost as though he cannot help himself....

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
              I detect snark. I didn't say don't judge them. I said go easier. If you get a pick between 10 - 30...you have a CHANCE of drafting a guy that can come off your bench and maybe start if he improves. If you draft 30 - 60, you MIGHT MIGHT MIGHT get a guy that can crack your roster and develop into a rotational piece. A top ten pick should net you an eventual starter/6th man. You could draft the next Michael Jordan and he could blow out his knee in summer league or a rec game. You could accidently land on Isiah Thomas at 60. Colangelo as a GM with the picks he had, does very well in the draft.

DeRozan/Davis/Valanciunas/Ross/Acy being the last five picks.

Even when you get the first pick there are no guarantees whatsoever. The reason Bargnani is so frustrating is because he has the talent and body to put up 24 pts and snag 10 boards a game while simultaneously opening up lanes for players by stretching defenses.

In agreement....BC has made some good draft picks but has made some horrible FA singings that often lead to trading away young talent or taking on bad contracts.
              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Apr 1, 2013, 11:16 AM.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                I was referring to Datome not AB. I decline to particiapate in your race baiting. The point was that BC should focus more on NCAA players. If you can get any player of any nationality that will bring championship calibre basketball to Raptors I am all for it....I just think Datome is not that guy. BC probably was on vacation in Italy and made it appear he was hard at work.
                But why should he focus on NCAA players? I'm sure he's seen them much more throughout the season due to proximity. I bet there are guys in Europe he's never scouted this year that he wanted to get a chance to see. Maybe he hasn't ever seen Datome play in person, or maybe it's been awhile. Also, he was clearly scouting more than just Datome as some of us posters here have noted that he at least went to scout a kid in Greece who's still pretty new to the scene (Adetokoubo), and I'm sure far more who weren't mentioned.

You know, he could even use a draft pick, especially, for example, a 2nd rd pick, which is usually easier to acquire, on a Euro and stash them away for a year or two. THat may actually be the best option for a 2nd rd pick given the Raps have few roles up for grabs on what's mostly a set roster for the next couple of seasons. An NCAA kid could be stuck riding the bench, or have to go to the D-league or Europe anyway. Not to mention it makes sense scouting other pro leagues when the team is not expected to have any draft pick this year.

I find there's a ridiculous sense of superiority surrounding the NCAA tournament. It's a crapshoot for scouting, with unpredictable one-off games. Some of the better prospects are long eliminated (or you know, injured before it even started). There's maybe a couple of guys who significantly improve their draft stocks every year, but for the most part, it has very little impact on the draft. A guy like Riley goes because he's an arrogant SOB who comes from the Kentucky program, and has always favored NCAA players. That could just be talking out of my ass, but I can't think of Riley really having international guys on his teams. I don't think he's ethnically prejudice, but I do think he is bball-wise.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  But why should he focus on NCAA players? I'm sure he's seen them much more throughout the season due to proximity. I bet there are guys in Europe he's never scouted this year that he wanted to get a chance to see. Maybe he hasn't ever seen Datome play in person, or maybe it's been awhile. Also, he was clearly scouting more than just Datome as some of us posters here have noted that he at least went to scout a kid in Greece who's still pretty new to the scene (Adetokoubo), and I'm sure far more who weren't mentioned.

You know, he could even use a draft pick, especially, for example, a 2nd rd pick, which is usually easier to acquire, on a Euro and stash them away for a year or two. THat may actually be the best option for a 2nd rd pick given the Raps have few roles up for grabs on what's mostly a set roster for the next couple of seasons. An NCAA kid could be stuck riding the bench, or have to go to the D-league or Europe anyway. Not to mention it makes sense scouting other pro leagues when the team is not expected to have any draft pick this year.

I find there's a ridiculous sense of superiority surrounding the NCAA tournament. It's a crapshoot for scouting, with unpredictable one-off games. Some of the better prospects are long eliminated (or you know, injured before it even started). There's maybe a couple of guys who significantly improve their draft stocks every year, but for the most part, it has very little impact on the draft. A guy like Riley goes because he's an arrogant SOB who comes from the Kentucky program, and has always favored NCAA players. That could just be talking out of my ass, but I can't think of Riley really having international guys on his teams. I don't think he's ethnically prejudice, but I do think he is bball-wise.
                  You are right...Riley is arrogant...but Elite NCAA players are more likely to have a significant NBA career than euro players. The problem I see now is the top prospects enter the draft at a younger age and it is often a work in progress. Those days of the four year NCAA players are largely gone.....those guys were ready to step right in and contribute....these days the young studs often become good NBA players in time but not right away....

Comment

This year there are no guaranteed elite NCAA prospects. Colangelo is just doing due diligence and since he has had no luck trading, or buying into the 1st round of the draft since he came to Toronto and the Raps needing cheap bench help I would be more surprised if he wasn't scouting Euroleague teams.

Comment

After John Hammond of the Bucks and Bryan Colangelo of the Raptors, Danny Ainge was the third NBA manager to travel to Rome to scout Gigi Datome. The President of the Boston Celtics attended the Serie A game between Virtus Roma and Sidigas Avellino won by the guest 81-75 after one overtime. Sportando

Read more at http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm
                      It would appear a lot of NBA GM's are vacationing in Italy.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        It would appear a lot of NBA GM's are vacationing in Italy.
                        Lol.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Saric reportedly has decided to go in next year's draft.
                          Looks like he's back in as he's in the draft express mock.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                            Looks like he's back in as he's in the draft express mock.
                            Yeah, he has been in and out all year.

Comment

Working...
                            X