Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What we need to do with out roster

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    I really wouldnt be surprised if Ross is dealt because BC favors DeMar. Just putting that out there. I wouldnt be surprised if Fields is dealt too he got rid of Hedo for something good, and he will probably keep both DeRozan and Ross, the only thing I see BC doing is entertaining the ideas for DeRozan or Ross in the off season with a plan to move Bargnani for a legit 4 and seeing what is to be done with Fields/AA/Lucas etc

BC loves his position padding he sees Gay/DeRozan/Ross as a awesome tandem, which they very much could be with some pieces thrown around them I dont think its going to be broken up any time soon.
    BC drafts TRoss then trades him after one year when he could have taken Andre Drummond? The sad thing is I could see BC doing this....

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Your post fails the CBA.

A player cannot opt out of a player option and re-sign for a contract starting at less than the year he opted out of.

Rudy will pick up that $19M option for 2014-15, make his $38M over the next 2 years, and then sign a final huge contract at 28 years of age.
    +1
    Also, the thought of overpaying Rudy simply because he has so many friends in the NBA seems asinine to me.
    The only thing that will attract players to Toronto is winning. Overpaying inefficient scorers will not achieve this.

I think the original post in this thread really nailed it.

To me it breaks down like this. The following players will have little to no effect on the future of this franchise:
    - Lucas,
    - Telfair,
    - Anderson,
    - Gray,
    - Acy, (may have a future in the NBA, but wont stick with the Raps long enough to find out. Think PJ Tucker)
    - Kleiza (he will be amnestied. Colangelo will not amnesty Bargnani, PERIOD)

The following players, whether because of the talents they possess, or their contractual situations, will have an effect on this team moving forward:
    - Lowry,
    - Derozan,
    - Gay,
    - Johnson,
    - Valanciunas,
    - Fields,
    - Bargnani,
    - Ross

Colangelo needs to create some future flexibility this summer. To do this, he must rid us of the toxic contracts of Fields and/or Bargnani. This will require him to sweeten the pot. The best case scenario in my mind would be to unload Derozan (assuming he has any value post extension) and acquire contracts that run no longer than two years.
    Say we could trade Derozan, Fields and Bargnani to the Lakers for Gasol and filler*, then our roster looks like this for the start of next season:
    - Lowry
    - Ross
    - Gay
    - Gasol
    - Valanciunas
    - Johnson
    - Lakers filler
    - Minimum contracts to fill out the bench

*Not sure the Lakers make this trade, but you could really insert any team here. The quality of the players coming back is not so much of a concern, so long as their contracts don't run longer than two years

If this team looks like a winner to start next season, extend Lowry and pray for big development from Ross and Val.

If this team stinks to start next season (the more likely scenario to me) then I think we are even better off moving forward. In this case, we trade Lowry before the deadline and go into full tank mode. Then, next off-season we have a ton of assets:
    - expiring contracts in Gasol, Gay, and Johnson (all of whom could be moved or extended at the right price)
    - young studs on rookie deals in Ross and Valanciunas
    - a very high pick in a loaded 2014 draft
    - whatever we got for Lowry at the deadline

The biggest piece to the puzzle here is the 2014 pick, which (fingers crossed) should allow the Raptors to acquire the all-star talent we currently lack (sorry Rudy).

3. Like vino liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote pcrombeen wrote: View Post

If this team stinks to start next season (the more likely scenario to me) then I think we are even better off moving forward. In this case, we trade Lowry before the deadline and go into full tank mode. Then, next off-season we have a ton of assets:
    - expiring contracts in Gasol, Gay, and Johnson (all of whom could be moved or extended at the right price)
    - young studs on rookie deals in Ross and Valanciunas
    - a very high pick in a loaded 2014 draft
    - whatever we got for Lowry at the deadline

The biggest piece to the puzzle here is the 2014 pick, which (fingers crossed) should allow the Raptors to acquire the all-star talent we currently lack (sorry Rudy).
    This is a plan. One that is really hard to sell, and therefore, will never happen... but it's a legit way to move forward and build a contender. Another reason why it's not going to happen is time. People in Toronto are impatient.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Your post fails the CBA.

A player cannot opt out of a player option and re-sign for a contract starting at less than the year he opted out of.

Rudy will pick up that $19M option for 2014-15, make his $38M over the next 2 years, and then sign a final huge contract at 28 years of age.
    Is this a new rule in this CBA? Because I think that's exactly what the Spurs did with Jefferson a couple of years ago.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

What we actually need to do is not build to become an 8th seed and get eliminated in the 1st Round but build to be a true contender...

-Hire a new GM who knows how to Rebuild a team

-Cut Salary by:

Trading Derozan for draft picks during Offseason
    Amenesty LK
    Trade Bargnani for expiring contract
    Trade Rudy Gay for Picks mid way through next season ( I don't see him being a Franchise player or someone you should build your team around,, too inefficient, not an all-star)

Pretty much we got stockpile Picks and build around T Ross, JV, and Amir...

Hopefully we could land a top 5 pick in next years draft ( ie Andrew Wiggins, Jabrari Parker) supposed to be a very strong draft with most of the Top 10 being Small Forwards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    Is this a new rule in this CBA? Because I think that's exactly what the Spurs did with Jefferson a couple of years ago.
    I'm not sure if it is new or not.

Here is Larry Coon's take on it, within question 58:

A contract that contains an Early Termination Option (ETO) cannot be extended if the ETO is exercised (ending the contract early). A contract with an option can be extended if the player opts-in. A contract with an option can also be extended if the player opts-out, as long as the extension adds at least two new seasons onto the contract (excluding any new option year) and the salary in the first year of the extension is not less than the salary in the non-exercised option year. See question number 57 for more information on options and ETOs.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information