X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What we need to do with out roster

Give up out draft pick this year.
    -Don't extend Gay or Lowry yet
    -Trade Andrea for any short term contract (1 year left hopefully)
    -Trade DeMar with Landry for a short term contract (DeMar is a plus, Landry is a negative = something in the middle with a short term contract like 1 year )
    -Amnesty Kleiza

Use next year as a builder:
    PG:Lowry
    SG:Ross
    SF:Gay
    PF:Johnson
    C:Valanciunas

-Give our young players a year of playing time to see if they can step up.
    -Clear out or shit contacts

If we play well extend Gay (not at max unless he rips it up) and possibly Lowry. If not we have a good draft pick plus some cap space.

Good stuff. I will forward this to Bryan right away.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Tank Mode Initiated.
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Don't be wasting time replying when you could be forwarding this to Brian.

Comment

Its not tank mode ... we signed some very bad contracts. To get rid of some you need to give something decent at some point. DeMar would be replaced with Ross (could be better ... could be worse). The rest of our starters are the same.

Comment

BC will be fired if he goes into rebuild again now. This is not a realistic option. We have to build this team for the playoffs, even if we end up becoming the new Hawks. We need some playoff exposure badly

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
              BC will be fired if he goes into rebuild again now. This is not a realistic option. We have to build this team for the playoffs, even if we end up becoming the new Hawks. We need some playoff exposure badly
              This is no a rebuild !!!!
              -Andrea was not an important part
              -Kleiza didn't play
              -Landry is a decent defender but not a big deal to lose.

The only thing we are down is DeRozen. I think Ross can take over for him and it wont be a huge drop. Plus we free up over 30Million in cap space! If we play at .500 with that roster we make a BIG SPLASH at the trade deadline we can sign a player that will fit the most important need !!!!

Comment

I like Landry quite a bit. His contract sucks but he brings a lot to the team and is money when we play small ball.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                  I like Landry quite a bit. His contract sucks but he brings a lot to the team and is money when we play small ball.
                  +1, i think he'll bring more to the team with an improved jump shot next year, this guy is a legit 6th man on our team.

Comment

I agree with ceez.

Fields:

- Solid penetrator
                    - moves extremely well without the ball
                    - doesn't need the ball to be successful on offense
                    - underrated passer
                    - good defender
                    - good rebounder
                    - solid mid-ranged game
                    - Great basketball IQ
                    - versatility; can play 2, 3 & 4 (4 only when team plays small - obviously)

= Inconsistent perimeter shooting
                    = without ball/shooting, game can become 4 vs. 5 on offensive end
                    = Turnover prone
                    = Struggles to finish around the rim
                    = commits some silly fouls
                    = overpaid for what he does/abilities

To be honest, because of Fields' much more efficient offense/better defense and Ross' potential, Demar becomes expendable, especially because I'm really starting to see the redundancy of a Gay/Derozan wing tandem, almost the same players, but Gay a lot more talented/better shooter/better defender.

I personally think a lineup of:

PG: Lowry
                    SG: Fields
                    SF: Gay
                    PF: (assuming trade goes through) a talented big = Millsap/Boozer/Gasol, etc.
                    C: Valanciunas

is extremely effective. Offense runs straight through Gay, and Fields can be used as a guy off ball to cut on teams loading/doubling on Gay, and can space the floor - IF he improves the stroke with asst. shooting coach John Townsend - with perimeter shooting. Two solid wing defenders and rebounders is also a positive, especially going against top tier teams with top tier wing players.
                    Last edited by ReubenJRD; Sat Mar 30, 2013, 05:33 AM.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I really wouldnt be surprised if Ross is dealt because BC favors DeMar. Just putting that out there. I wouldnt be surprised if Fields is dealt too he got rid of Hedo for something good, and he will probably keep both DeRozan and Ross, the only thing I see BC doing is entertaining the ideas for DeRozan or Ross in the off season with a plan to move Bargnani for a legit 4 and seeing what is to be done with Fields/AA/Lucas etc

BC loves his position padding he sees Gay/DeRozan/Ross as a awesome tandem, which they very much could be with some pieces thrown around them I dont think its going to be broken up any time soon.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                        I really wouldnt be surprised if Ross is dealt because BC favors DeMar. Just putting that out there. I wouldnt be surprised if Fields is dealt too he got rid of Hedo for something good, and he will probably keep both DeRozan and Ross, the only thing I see BC doing is entertaining the ideas for DeRozan or Ross in the off season with a plan to move Bargnani for a legit 4 and seeing what is to be done with Fields/AA/Lucas etc

BC loves his position padding he sees Gay/DeRozan/Ross as a awesome tandem, which they very much could be with some pieces thrown around them I dont think its going to be broken up any time soon.
                        Yeah, I think BC will have to listen, but that he won't look to move either Demar or Ross. I think he will shop Bargnani as much as possible, and in those talks Demar and Ross might come up, but unless the player coming back is something like a young all-star, I don't see him giving up one of his young wings. I keep thinking either guy is best kept until something like such a deal comes along.

Comment

I'm going to break down my thoughts on each player, offensively, and defensively. This is going to be quite a long post but if you have the patience to read all of this, know that I wrote it with sincere appreciation for your thoughts. If you're a small little child with no patience, I suggest you read the parts I put in bold, or that I highlighted in red.

Offense.

Group A
                          Fields, Kleiza, Ross, Pietrus, Lucas III.

Those 5 guys were supposed to be our 3-pt threats that spread the floor,

Landry Fields
                          Any team scout can identify that he has no shot right now. Anytime he is on the floor, there is no offensive threat from him no matter how much he runs. He is not the one who attracts the defense in order to spread the floor, and it ends up being a 4 v 5 offensive situation whenever he is on the court. Since he has been back, we've got our fingers crossed that he can push the ball up the court, get offensive rebounds and he is doing the best that he can with what he's got. IMO. He's performed as a better point guard than JL III with the limited time that he's been on the floor.

Kleiza & Pietrus
                          They are done.

Ross
                          A work-in-progress Rookie that was supposed to learn and backup the rest of Group A. He has essentially taken the place of Fields, or what was the bare minimum expectation of what Fields should have been when we acquired him

Lucas III
                          He is an effective player in this group. He is in this group because he is a shoot first player which is really what this team needed, considering the 4 players I mentioned above, are mildly ineffective, or non-existent.

Conclusion?
                          We have 2 effective players out of originally intended 5. Ross and Fields count as 1 player, John Lucas counts as the other.
                          How much of the poor performance from Group A is Brian Colangelo responsible for?
                          Pietrus
                          Kleiza
                          John Lucas III

Group B
                          Demar, Gay, Bargnani, Anderson, Lowry & Telfair
                          to run the floor.

Demar has gotten better throughout this entire season. His assists are up. His rebounds are about the same as they have always been. Even though his FG % isn't as high as it should be w/ the introduction of Rudy Gay and this so called "Shots will be easier because the floor will be spread", his efforts to attack the post have resulted in his growth as one of the better FT % shooters in the league. The expectation that he is supposed to develop as a 3-pt. threat is silly, but he needs to make them occasionally. The biggest thing that he needs to work on is his ball handling. It's horrible.

Gay is the superstar that we needed. He's Demar #2 but he is almost the 'psychopath' that Bargnani was SUPPOSED to be as a CLOSER. One of the problems is that he doesn't trust this team at the moment, and whenever he tries to take everything on by himself, the team goes into Isolation plays, and it's him vs. the world. If hes HOT, he gets them in, if hes not, we think he sucks. He needs to integrate into the rest of the team.

Bargnani He hasn't had any offense this season, so I can't really say anything good. So I won't.

Anderson
                          has filled the role of Bargnani. He is an inconsistent streaky shooter with the ability to drive, shoot the 2, shoot the 3, spread the floor, and his dribble penetration is, imo, the best on the team. I HATE the Alan Anderson quarter in the 4th, but the truth is, Bargnani was supposed to do the same thing.

Lowry
                          is an average point guard. He trusts Demar and Gay and he relies on them to be 'ON', and he is good at feeding the ball to other players when they are hot. He is not one of those inspirational leaders that dictate the pace of the game and energizes the team. The team needs to be energized and he will feed the ball to whomever is most effective. His own personal shot selection is the same as John Lucas III.

Telfair
                          has great ball handling skills. He pushes the floor really well. He doesn't know the team well enough and I haven't seen him play well enough to see consistent offensive capability. His shot is below John Lucas III.

Conclusion?
                          We have 4 effective players out of the original 6. Demar and Gay have their own game. Anderson is the Bargnani replacement, and Lowry and Telfair count as 1 player because they do not have enough of an offensive capability to stand on their own.
                          How much of the poor performance from Group A is Brian Colangelo responsible for?
                          Lowry
                          Telfair
                          Bargnani

Group C
                          Johnson, Valanciunas, Acy, Grey
                          to scrap and fight in the post.

Johnson
                          is the most consistent player on the team. He is highly underrated, endlessly abused, quick hands, scraps, gets offensive rebounds. Gets double teamed ALL the time with defensive bigger guys on him so it is difficult to pass him the ball, especially since his ankle is fudged and his mobility is limited.

Valanciunas
                          has amazing natural capabilities with a very high shooting percentage and he is learning how to post up. He gets tunnel vision during offensive plays and he gets a bit lost, so feeding him the ball can be difficult.

Acy
                          doesn't really have offense so I can't say much. Just scrap and put backs.

Gray
                          doesn't have any offensive capability. He has a very low shooting percentage and he is there for defensive purposes to function as a body in the post. He doesn't touch the ball enough to be an effective offensive threat because he doesn't know what to do with it half the time.

Conclusion?
                          We have 2 effective players out of the original 4. Johnson and Valanciunas got game. Acy COULD? develop game. Aaron Gray was a needed back up center.
                          Aaron Gray

Offensive Conclusion
                          I mentioned a total of 15 players, of which 7 players have not sufficiently done their offensive jobs. With the problems in the paint, you can see why Lowry doesn't throw the ball into the post often, but the development of Johnson and JV as a duo will change that.

I'll have my defensive comments after lunch.
                          Last edited by drunkmunky; Sat Mar 30, 2013, 01:58 PM.

Comment

drunkmunky wrote: View Post
                            I'm going to break down my thoughts on each player, offensively, and defensively. This is going to be quite a long post but if you have the patience to read all of this, know that I wrote it with sincere appreciation for your thoughts. If you're a small little child with no patience, I suggest you read the parts I put in bold, or that I highlighted in red.

Offense.

Group A
                            Fields, Kleiza, Ross, Pietrus, Lucas III.

Those 5 guys were supposed to be our 3-pt threats that spread the floor,

Landry Fields
                            Any team scout can identify that he has no shot right now. Anytime he is on the floor, there is no offensive threat from him no matter how much he runs. He is not the one who attracts the defense in order to spread the floor, and it ends up being a 4 v 5 offensive situation whenever he is on the court. Since he has been back, we've got our fingers crossed that he can push the ball up the court, get offensive rebounds and he is doing the best that he can with what he's got. IMO. He's performed as a better point guard than JL III with the limited time that he's been on the floor.

Kleiza & Pietrus
                            They are done.

Ross
                            A work-in-progress Rookie that was supposed to learn and backup the rest of Group A. He has essentially taken the place of Fields, or what was the bare minimum expectation of what Fields should have been when we acquired him

Lucas III
                            He is an effective player in this group. He is in this group because he is a shoot first player which is really what this team needed, considering the 4 players I mentioned above, are mildly ineffective, or non-existent.

Conclusion?
                            We have 2 effective players out of originally intended 5. Ross and Fields count as 1 player, John Lucas counts as the other.
                            Pietrus
                            Kleiza
                            John Lucas III

Group B
                            Demar, Gay, Bargnani, Anderson, Lowry & Telfair
                            to run the floor.

Demar has gotten better throughout this entire season. His assists are up. His rebounds are about the same as they have always been. Even though his FG % isn't as high as it should be w/ the introduction of Rudy Gay and this so called "Shots will be easier because the floor will be spread", his efforts to attack the post have resulted in his growth as one of the better FT % shooters in the league. The expectation that he is supposed to develop as a 3-pt. threat is silly, but he needs to make them occasionally. The biggest thing that he needs to work on is his ball handling. It's horrible.

Gay is the superstar that we needed. He's Demar #2 but he is almost the 'psychopath' that Bargnani was SUPPOSED to be as a CLOSER. One of the problems is that he doesn't trust this team at the moment, and whenever he tries to take everything on by himself, the team goes into Isolation plays, and it's him vs. the world. If hes HOT, he gets them in, if hes not, we think he sucks. He needs to integrate into the rest of the team.

Bargnani He hasn't had any offense this season, so I can't really say anything good. So I won't.

Anderson
                            has filled the role of Bargnani. He is an inconsistent streaky shooter with the ability to drive, shoot the 2, shoot the 3, spread the floor, and his dribble penetration is, imo, the best on the team. I HATE the Alan Anderson quarter in the 4th, but the truth is, Bargnani was supposed to do the same thing.

Lowry
                            is an average point guard. He trusts Demar and Gay and he relies on them to be 'ON', and he is good at feeding the ball to other players when they are hot. He is not one of those inspirational leaders that dictate the pace of the game and energizes the team. The team needs to be energized and he will feed the ball to whomever is most effective. His own personal shot selection is the same as John Lucas III.

Telfair
                            has great ball handling skills. He pushes the floor really well. He doesn't know the team well enough and I haven't seen him play well enough to see consistent offensive capability. His shot is below John Lucas III.

Conclusion?
                            We have 4 effective players out of the original 6. Demar and Gay have their own game. Anderson is the Bargnani replacement, and Lowry and Telfair count as 1 player because they do not have enough of an offensive capability to stand on their own.
                            Lowry
                            Telfair
                            Bargnani

Group C
                            Johnson, Valanciunas, Acy, Grey
                            to scrap and fight in the post.

Johnson
                            is the most consistent player on the team. He is highly underrated, endlessly abused, quick hands, scraps, gets offensive rebounds. Gets double teamed ALL the team with defensive bigger guys on him so it is difficult to pass him the ball, especially since his ankle is fudged and his mobility is limited.

Valanciunas
                            has amazing natural capabilities with a very high shooting percentage and he is learning how to post up. He gets tunnel vision during offensive plays and he gets a bit lost, so feeding him the ball can be difficult.

Acy
                            doesn't really have offense so I can't say much. Just scrap and put backs.

Gray
                            doesn't have any offensive capability. He has a very low shooting percentage and he is there for defensive purposes to function as a body in the post. He doesn't touch the ball enough to be an effective offensive threat because he doesn't know what to do with it half the time.

Conclusion?
                            We have 2 effective players out of the original 4. Johnson and Valanciunas got game. Acy COULD? develop game. Aaron Gray was a needed back up center.
                            Aaron Gray

Offensive Conclusion
                            I mentioned a total of 15 players, of which 7 players have not sufficiently done their offensive jobs. With the problems in the paint, you can see why Lowry doesn't throw the ball into the post often, but the development of Johnson and JV as a duo will change that.

I'll have my defensive comments after lunch.
                            +1 Sweet Post, well done

Comment

Did anybody watch Michigan's epic comeback against Kansas? That was totally awesome. Do what it takes to get Trey Burke.
                              Last edited by stretch; Sat Mar 30, 2013, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X