Why not tank this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Barnes would have looked really good in a Raptors uniform......
    Colangelo could have picked Drummond who has a PER that is double that of Barnes. The tanking dialogue can be spun in a variety of ways.

Comment

In all seriousness, if we had gotten a better draft pick last year, like 1 or 2 spots higher, BC would've still taken Ross.
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
        In all seriousness, if we had gotten a better draft pick last year, like 1 or 2 spots higher, BC would've still taken Ross.
        Disagree. Ross was picked 'cause Barnes was not available.
        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
          Disagree. Ross was picked 'cause Barnes was not available.
          Agreed...I thought it was pretty obvious Barnes was who they hoped to get as a wing if someone made a surprise pick ahead and it mucked things up. I also think Lillard was at the top of their board, but that they knew he wouldn't drop.

Comment

Darien wrote: View Post
            Finish on a winning note? That's the kind of logic that has us perennially just out of the playoffs and with weak draft picks. People don't seem to understand that finishing on winning notes after a losing season doesn't make you a winner, you're just the dumbest loser.
            You know we don't have a pick this year right?

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              Agreed...I thought it was pretty obvious Barnes was who they hoped to get as a wing if someone made a surprise pick ahead and it mucked things up. I also think Lillard was at the top of their board, but that they knew he wouldn't drop.
              Lillard was the guy I was desperately hoping for.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Let me put this simply.

Have read a lot in this Forum this year, but sporadically. Pretty much how I have watched the Raptor's the last 2 years. I will always be a bball fan, but not necessarily willing to watch and follow this team. I do not want any more top 10 picks. No interest. We have proven unable to build from it? No. DD and JV look like they might really be part of out future. Some others are questions we will wait to see how well they fulfill promise. But this team has an enormous and fervid fanbase. Give us anything and watch the ACC go wild. But we need hope now. Progress. Stability. And improvement. Not just the players, but the fans.

Barring some serious adversity we should expect playoffs next year. And continued improvement in the future. And if BC cannot do it, I dread a new regime that wants to start again. And get rid of the old choices to make their own. I want us to have a moment in the playoffs like Michigan got in defeating a 99% probability of losing in the last 2 1/2 minutes to beat Kansas. It has been a long wait. And hope that the future is bright. 'Cause the past has been awful dark.
                “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

bloodyhandedgod wrote: View Post
                  Barring some serious adversity we should expect playoffs next year. And continued improvement in the future. And if BC cannot do it, I dread a new regime that wants to start again. And get rid of the old choices to make their own. I want us to have a moment in the playoffs like Michigan got in defeating a 99% probability of losing in the last 2 1/2 minutes to beat Kansas. It has been a long wait. And hope that the future is bright. 'Cause the past has been awful dark.
                  I think the most reasonable expectation one can have for next year is that we will get better. Anything more tangible than that, such as where we'll finish in the standings is out of our control and has more to do with how other teams will perform next season.

We have 8 games left and we've won 27 games. Looking at the schedule, I am *hoping* we'll get to 30 wins. Honestly I don't see it happening unless the last few games are meaningless (if teams have clinched their spot). With Rudy Gay in the lineup this team is 11-17 so far, a 40% winning percentage.

I think what's reasonable is to expect this team to win somewhere between 33-37 games next year if everything remains status quo.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                    I think what's reasonable is to expect this team to win somewhere between 33-37 games next year if everything remains status quo.
                    That's pretty sad. They've added two lottery picks this year, traded a lottery pick, and traded for Rudy Gay and the reasonable expecation is a win total in the mid-thirties. Unbelievable. Like the avatar says, 'no need to fear failure if you can keep lowering the bar'. Remember back in 2007 when we thought 41 wins was a bitter disappointment? Good times.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                      Lillard was the guy I was desperately hoping for.
                      Me, it was Andre Drummond but our failure to tank failed to generate a pick high enough to draft him!!

Not really, Drummond was available but the Raptors selected Terrence Ross anyway. We don't know whether the Raptors would have drafted Ross had Barnes or Lilliard been available. Ross was probably much better regarded as a prospect than the media suggested considering he was apparently on the Cavaliers short list at 4.

Comment

The team should do everything in their power to lose as many games as they can for the rest of the year. Losses mean a better chance at a pick, which means the team gets an asset. Wins mean...nothing. Nothing at all. Not in the long term, and since this season is shot, there is no short term. The rest of this season should be about getting Jonas, Ross and Acy as many minutes as possible, and nothing else. In a perfect world, it would also be about experimenting with Lowry as Iverson 2.0, but I can't see Casey letting that happen.
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                          The team should do everything in their power to lose as many games as they can for the rest of the year. Losses mean a better chance at a pick, which means the team gets an asset. Wins mean...nothing. Nothing at all. Not in the long term, and since this season is shot, there is no short term. The rest of this season should be about getting Jonas, Ross and Acy as many minutes as possible, and nothing else. In a perfect world, it would also be about experimenting with Lowry as Iverson 2.0, but I can't see Casey letting that happen.
                          Every loss also makes more real the possibility of Colangelo being fired. That would be the greatest achievement of all....

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                            Totally disagree. Wins never mean nothing. And it's highly unlikely the Raps will be able to retain their pick regardless if they lose their remaining games. There are numerous teams with worse records presently that are also trying to do the same thing. Seriously, what a joke, I can't believe I support this chronic losing culture. 4 or 5 years straight with high draft picks and everyone wants to tank this season and maybe even the next. This is what you want your ~ $70 mil in payroll to do, try and lose, lol. I'm done with losing. I'd rather see this mediocre team play it's ass off for the rest of the season and go out on a high note. Maybe it carries over to next year and maybe we make the playoffs and maybe we lose in the first round, and maybe, just maybe, we all might have something to cheer for once.

Comment

Working...
                            X