Why not tank this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not tank this season?

I don't get it, pepole don't want a pick this year but I rather tank this season and lose our pick next year.

Say we get a top 3 pick, we could either pick Nerlens Noel, Anthony Bennett, or Cody Zeller to fill the position of our need(PF) or even Trey Burke if we need a PG. With the addition, we can attempt to make the playoffs (I think we will) and avoid getting a 15/16/17 pick.

What's so bad about that?

JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
    I don't get it, pepole don't want a pick this year but I rather tank this season and lose our pick next year.

Say we get a top 3 pick, we could either pick Nerlens Noel, Anthony Bennett, or Cody Zeller to fill the position of our need(PF) or even Trey Burke if we need a PG. With the addition, we can attempt to make the playoffs (I think we will) and avoid getting a 15/16/17 pick.

With ten games left in the season all tanking will likely do is get OKC a nicer draft pick.

Comment

The problem is that it's unlikely that we finish with a bottom 3 record. Right now I think there are 9 team between us and that spot. So rather than finish out the year by telling our guys we want to lose, we mind as well get some good minutes in for our young guys and see what we have in a winning environment.

Top three pick would be great, and I don't think anyone would say no to have a top three this year in exchange for next year's pick, it's statistically unlikely we get it by simply trying to suck. Too many teams do it without trying for us to get down there.
      Plus we are not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs yet !
      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

This is the worst thing we could possibly do. If Nerlens Noel doesn't declare for the draft and we get a top 3 pick it will be useless. He's the only play that the Raptors would really want. Bennett is undersized so idk if he could really be our PF

Comment

Are you serious? next year's draft is going to be extremely deep and this year's draft in my opinion is going to be the weakest draft class since the 2000 draft.

There are only 2 guys in this draft that i'm interested at and i think will help the Raps instantly and that's Noel and Burke. Both guys i think will go in the top 3. And NO with 10 games left, the Raps don't have much time to tank. OKC will get our pick this year.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

Because that's stupid. OKC would than get a chance at a higher pick, unlikely we get the pick back anyways, and being this is a weak draft, it's all the more better to keep winning games. Especially because I want this team to grab 33+ wins lol.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
              Because that's stupid. OKC would than get a chance at a higher pick, unlikely we get the pick back anyways, and being this is a weak draft, it's all the more better to keep winning games. Especially because I want this team to grab 33+ wins lol.
              What pick OKC gets this season holds no value to or in anyway effects the Raptors. What pick OKC gets is meaningless.

There is some logic to the idea of trying to tank now and get a pick if the team is expecting to make the playoffs next season (and into the future). If they don't hit a top 3 pick nothing changes (0 value change to the Raptors), if they get the pick there is value added for the Raptors (a top 3 pick).

Now if this team is expecting to get a lottery pick next season, then losing that pick right now add potential value (assuming the next draft is 'better'). Or if this team is trades a future 1st round pick then losing that pick right now adds value.

Comment

Because it's time to take pride in winning and actually try to finish on a winning note!!!!!!!

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
                  Because it's time to take pride in winning and actually try to finish on a winning note!!!!!!!
                  The Raptors did that last year and it cost them two draft spots! lol - ugh - the pain - Lillard or Barnes.

In all seriousness, I do agree though. There is too much talent for the Raptors to continue to be league doormats.

Comment

Tanking is for chumps. Chumps and commies!
                    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I say we tank every year and then move the team to Sacremento
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Finish on a winning note? That's the kind of logic that has us perennially just out of the playoffs and with weak draft picks. People don't seem to understand that finishing on winning notes after a losing season doesn't make you a winner, you're just the dumbest loser.

Comment

Even if we lose the final 10 games, we're not getting in the top 3 in the lottery? OKC will likely flip the pick with Perkins' contract too, so who knows who ends up with the Raps pick. WHO CARES, it's done.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            The Raptors did that last year and it cost them two draft spots! lol - ugh - the pain - Lillard or Barnes.

In all seriousness, I do agree though. There is too much talent for the Raptors to continue to be league doormats.
                            Barnes would have looked really good in a Raptors uniform......

Comment

Darien wrote: View Post
                              Finish on a winning note? That's the kind of logic that has us perennially just out of the playoffs and with weak draft picks. People don't seem to understand that finishing on winning notes after a losing season doesn't make you a winner, you're just the dumbest loser.
                              Also leads to false optimism and media buildup at the start of the next season.

Comment

Working...
                              X