Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 105

Thread: Canadian mens basketball team

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    509
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Canadian mens basketball team

    Will the influx of the upcoming generation of Canadian basketball players to the national team make team Canada relevant? A team consisting of the likes of Andrew Nicholson, Anthony Bennett, Andrew Nicholson, Myck Kabongo, Nick Stauskas, Kelly Olynyk could be very solid in international play in a couple of years. And nothing helps a country with its sport culture as having a team capable of wining medals and competing. So do you think Canada will assemble a team that will compete for a fiba americas medal?

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,368
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Forgot Tristan Thompson
    #FREE

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,559
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wiggins could probably make the national team right now if he really tried.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Wiggins could probably make the national team right now if he really tried.
    There was a recent story that Basketball Canada was about to hire former NBAer Mitchell Wiggins as an administrator to, in part, secure the participation of son Andrew in the national program.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,802
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wiggins will be leading that team and Tristan Thompson too. It will be fun to watch

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,681
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    All we need is for JV to get Canadian citizenship and we're all set! Kidding aside, I do think that 5-10 years from now we should be able to hold our own against any and all international competition. We've got enough talent now, that there's reason for guys to play instead of just feeling good, as we've got legimate chances to get some hardware. Canada basketball looks more promising now then it ever has, and that's even if you don't include wiggins.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,873
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    All we need is for JV to get Canadian citizenship and we're all set! Kidding aside, I do think that 5-10 years from now we should be able to hold our own against any and all international competition. We've got enough talent now, that there's reason for guys to play instead of just feeling good, as we've got legimate chances to get some hardware. Canada basketball looks more promising now then it ever has, and that's even if you don't include wiggins.
    Just last night, watching Michigan and Stauskas (throwing up a brick storm, but whatever), I was thinking about how very soon, for the first time ever, the team may have to start cutting NBA level talent from the team (i.e. at PG, one of Kabongo/Pangos/Corey Joseph).

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,559
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Just last night, watching Michigan and Stauskas (throwing up a brick storm, but whatever), I was thinking about how very soon, for the first time ever, the team may have to start cutting NBA level talent from the team (i.e. at PG, one of Kabongo/Pangos/Corey Joseph).
    I really like Corey Joseph, he's an elite defender and he did fairly well starting for the Spurs while Parker was out. Don't cut him.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,873
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    I really like Corey Joseph, he's an elite defender and he did fairly well starting for the Spurs while Parker was out. Don't cut him.
    Exactly my point; these arguments will be happening! Up till now, all we could do was hope that the NBA guys would play.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Having a talented pool of Canadian players to call upon is just a part of a successful national program. The program has struggled in the past to get the best on the floor in international competition. FIBA ranks Canada as 26th best in the world and we have been dropping in rank in recent years all the while Canadian numbers having been going up in both the NBA and NCAA.

    Canadian professional basketball players have American and European agents rationally telling them to "screw the national program" because of the lack of financial reward and the additional wear and tear and risk of injury during a much needed recovery period between seasons.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,681
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    Having a talented pool of Canadian players to call upon is just a part of a successful national program. The program has struggled in the past to get the best on the floor in international competition. FIBA ranks Canada as 26th best in the world and we have been dropping in rank in recent years all the while Canadian numbers having been going up in both the NBA and NCAA.

    Canadian professional basketball players have American and European agents rationally telling them to "screw the national program" because of the lack of financial reward and the additional wear and tear and risk of injury during a much needed recovery period between seasons.

    I agree that in the past it's difficult getting the best guys to play (especially the guys that play in the NBA), but I think we're in a great position because, even if some NBA players opt to NOT play for Canada, we've got enough guys that the team will be made up of predominately NBA guys, similar to every other NON-USA powerhouse team.

    I also think there's a tipping point that we're about to reach. In the past there was incentive NOT to play because we weren't going to win anything anyway. However, in the next few years we'll have ENOUGH talent, that guys will want to play because we'll have a real shot of winning some hardware; which would be HISTORIC and is a good incentive to play. I would argue that the more canadians in the NBA exponentially increases the drive that canadians in the NBA will want to play for the national team.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What discourages participation in FIBA tournaments the most is the gruelling schedule, 8 games in 9 days and that sort of thing. Basketball Canada is near broke is another deciding factor. There are other programs beside the senior mens team that need funding like the senior women's, the junior and cadet programs.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    939
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    On a different forum, I projected what I saw as the likely 2016 Olympic team, if everyone plays. Right now, I think it's:

    C: Olynyk, Powell, Birch, Sacre
    PF: Thompson, Bennett, Nicholson, Lyles
    SF: Wiggins, K. Joseph
    SG: Rathan-Mayes, Stauskas, Rautins
    PG: C. Joseph, Kabongo, Ennis, Pangos

    Let me know if you think I missed anyone!

    It's very possible that by 2016, every single one of those guys has at least had a cup of coffee in the NBA (Pangos and Stauskas being the least likely IMO, and Ennis, Lyles, and XRM might still be in college in 2016, though I expect all to exit early). And there's a load of guys like Hanlan, Rivard, Pierre, Bhullar, who might still make it depending on how they develop. In addition to Rautins, there's a couple other guys in international ball who may be in the running as well. Devoe Joseph, for example.

    It's a solid lineup that should be able to compete on paper with anyone other than the US, though lack of experience would be a massive weakness at this point, but everyone on the roster will be 27 or younger in 2016, which I imagine would make it one of the youngest teams at the Olympics. Some positions are deep enough (PF, PG) that you could play some guys out of their natural positions (C. Joseph at SG, Bennett at SF, for example).

    I think the program should be looking at medaling in 2020, but a top eight finish in 2016 is also a realistic goal.

    Anyway, I agree that it'll be really fun to debate and watch these guys over the next few years.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,368
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    On a different forum, I projected what I saw as the likely 2016 Olympic team, if everyone plays. Right now, I think it's:

    C: Olynyk, Powell, Birch, Sacre
    PF: Thompson, Bennett, Nicholson, Lyles
    SF: Wiggins, K. Joseph
    SG: Rathan-Mayes, Stauskas, Rautins
    PG: C. Joseph, Kabongo, Ennis, Pangos

    Let me know if you think I missed anyone!

    It's very possible that by 2016, every single one of those guys has at least had a cup of coffee in the NBA (Pangos and Stauskas being the least likely IMO, and Ennis, Lyles, and XRM might still be in college in 2016, though I expect all to exit early). And there's a load of guys like Hanlan, Rivard, Pierre, Bhullar, who might still make it depending on how they develop. In addition to Rautins, there's a couple other guys in international ball who may be in the running as well. Devoe Joseph, for example.

    It's a solid lineup that should be able to compete on paper with anyone other than the US, though lack of experience would be a massive weakness at this point, but everyone on the roster will be 27 or younger in 2016, which I imagine would make it one of the youngest teams at the Olympics. Some positions are deep enough (PF, PG) that you could play some guys out of their natural positions (C. Joseph at SG, Bennett at SF, for example).

    I think the program should be looking at medaling in 2020, but a top eight finish in 2016 is also a realistic goal.

    Anyway, I agree that it'll be really fun to debate and watch these guys over the next few years.
    Strong line up, looks like contenders for top 5 on paper. Should be something interesting for Canadians to witness, maybe some more love for basketball in general will be received after upcoming touraments. Noticed the surname (Stauskas) looks like Lithuanian, haha could be?
    #FREE

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,559
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    On a different forum, I projected what I saw as the likely 2016 Olympic team, if everyone plays. Right now, I think it's:

    C: Olynyk, Powell, Birch, Sacre
    PF: Thompson, Bennett, Nicholson, Lyles
    SF: Wiggins, K. Joseph
    SG: Rathan-Mayes, Stauskas, Rautins
    PG: C. Joseph, Kabongo, Ennis, Pangos

    Let me know if you think I missed anyone!

    It's very possible that by 2016, every single one of those guys has at least had a cup of coffee in the NBA (Pangos and Stauskas being the least likely IMO, and Ennis, Lyles, and XRM might still be in college in 2016, though I expect all to exit early). And there's a load of guys like Hanlan, Rivard, Pierre, Bhullar, who might still make it depending on how they develop. In addition to Rautins, there's a couple other guys in international ball who may be in the running as well. Devoe Joseph, for example.

    It's a solid lineup that should be able to compete on paper with anyone other than the US, though lack of experience would be a massive weakness at this point, but everyone on the roster will be 27 or younger in 2016, which I imagine would make it one of the youngest teams at the Olympics. Some positions are deep enough (PF, PG) that you could play some guys out of their natural positions (C. Joseph at SG, Bennett at SF, for example).

    I think the program should be looking at medaling in 2020, but a top eight finish in 2016 is also a realistic goal.

    Anyway, I agree that it'll be really fun to debate and watch these guys over the next few years.
    This lineup looks very nice...I forgot about Rathan-Mayes. He's been really under the radar since he attends the same school as Wiggins. Still ranked in the top 50 on ESPN100 though.

    I also think Kabongo could challenge Joseph for that spot in a couple of years. Both have really bright futures, but Corey's development may be a bit stunted if Parker's still with the Spurs going forward.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    939
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    Strong line up, looks like contenders for top 5 on paper. Should be something interesting for Canadians to witness, maybe some more love for basketball in general will be received after upcoming touraments. Noticed the surname (Stauskas) looks like Lithuanian, haha could be?
    Good catch! I found this on his Wikipedia page:

    His first experience with basketball came as a member of the Ausra Sports Club, which is a Toronto-based traveling team for children of Lithuanian descent.
    ...
    He has dual Canadian and Lithuanian citizenship, but is only eligible to play for Canada in international play.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    2,982
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Canada WILL win SILVER in 2016 Olympics. You heard it here first.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Canada WILL win SILVER in 2016 Olympics. You heard it here first.
    Here's a fun thought, does Canada have a chance to even win gold in 2016 or 2020? I know it sounds crazy, but when you look at the talent and athleticism they'll have, especially in the frontcourt, it's pretty scary.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Here's a fun thought, does Canada have a chance to even win gold in 2016 or 2020? I know it sounds crazy, but when you look at the talent and athleticism they'll have, especially in the frontcourt, it's pretty scary.
    2016 zero chance; 2020 is a long shot as well; just look at how talented the current Spanish team is (immediate top contender if they were an nba team) and they have trouble being a serious threat.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    2016 zero chance; 2020 is a long shot as well; just look at how talented the current Spanish team is (immediate top contender if they were an nba team) and they have trouble being a serious threat.
    I think the Canadian team (espeically by 2020) will be more talented than the current Spanish team.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •