Canadian mens basketball team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    Strong line up, looks like contenders for top 5 on paper. Should be something interesting for Canadians to witness, maybe some more love for basketball in general will be received after upcoming touraments. Noticed the surname (Stauskas) looks like Lithuanian, haha could be?
    Good catch! I found this on his Wikipedia page:

His first experience with basketball came as a member of the Ausra Sports Club, which is a Toronto-based traveling team for children of Lithuanian descent.
    He has dual Canadian and Lithuanian citizenship, but is only eligible to play for Canada in international play.

Comment

Canada WILL win SILVER in 2016 Olympics. You heard it here first.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
        Canada WILL win SILVER in 2016 Olympics. You heard it here first.
        Here's a fun thought, does Canada have a chance to even win gold in 2016 or 2020? I know it sounds crazy, but when you look at the talent and athleticism they'll have, especially in the frontcourt, it's pretty scary.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          Here's a fun thought, does Canada have a chance to even win gold in 2016 or 2020? I know it sounds crazy, but when you look at the talent and athleticism they'll have, especially in the frontcourt, it's pretty scary.
          2016 zero chance; 2020 is a long shot as well; just look at how talented the current Spanish team is (immediate top contender if they were an nba team) and they have trouble being a serious threat.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
            2016 zero chance; 2020 is a long shot as well; just look at how talented the current Spanish team is (immediate top contender if they were an nba team) and they have trouble being a serious threat.
            I think the Canadian team (espeically by 2020) will be more talented than the current Spanish team.

Comment

And I have some issues with this. They have trouble being a threat, even more so in the last Games, because they have almost ZERO athleticism that compares to the US, espeically on the wings. This would be a problem in the NBA even, as guys like Rudy (strength) and JC Navarro(size/athleticism) washed out. Imagine Memphis with defensively weak perimeter play...that is pretty close to what Spain would be in the NBA, IMO.

This will not be a problem for Canada. They will be the only team with the combination of talent and athleticism that has a chance against the US. Again, they project to have much better tools and talent to matchup against the US than probably any team I've ever seen (since NBAers were allowed to compete), in my opinion.
              Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Apr 9, 2013, 08:47 AM.

Comment

I think the Canadian team (espeically by 2020) will be more talented than the current Spanish team.
                I don't know much about the Canadians, but the Spanish team is extremely talented with the Gasol's, Ibaka, Rubio and others. This is the most talented non-US team ever.

Comment

And I have some issues with this. They have trouble being a threat, even more so in the last Games, because they have almost ZERO athleticism that compares to the US, espeically on the wings. This would be a problem in the NBA even, as guys like Rudy (strength) and JC Navarro(size/athleticism) washed out. Imagine Memphis with defensively weak perimeter play...that is pretty close to what Spain would be in the NBA, IMO.

This will not be a problem for Canada. They will be the only team with the combination of talent and athleticism that has a chance against the US. Again, they project to have much better tools and talent to matchup against the US than probably any team I've ever seen (since NBAers were allowed to compete)
                  I don't really agree, certainly not when Rubio is in the mix.

Comment

I don't really agree, certainly not when Rubio is in the mix.
                    I think you need it at pretty much all positions now, the way the US plays. Rubio is one man, who matches up against a PG. It also doesn't help when the other wings are completely inadequate defending NBAers.

Comment

This will not be a problem for Canada. They will be the only team with the combination of talent and athleticism that has a chance against the US. Again, they project to have much better tools and talent to matchup against the US than probably any team I've ever seen (since NBAers were allowed to compete), in my opinion.
                      I gotta say I disagree with you on this one. Did you see the gold medal game last summer? It was damn close, and Marc Gasol had to miss a bunch of time because of foul trouble. AND they were minus Rubio.

And then back in 2008, they took the US to the brink again, when they were starting Rubio as a seventeen year old.
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Comparing the potential of the Canadian team of the future to the perennial #2 team in the world is a bit far fetched

Spain has had an outstanding program for the last decade or so.. it goes beyond just the assembled talent... which, you still have to give to Spain.. proven vs potential is an easy bet

When is the last time Canada has even cracked the top 20?

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                          I gotta say I disagree with you on this one. Did you see the gold medal game last summer? It was damn close, and Marc Gasol had to miss a bunch of time because of foul trouble. AND they were minus Rubio.

And then back in 2008, they took the US to the brink again, when they were starting Rubio as a seventeen year old.
                          Or you can look at it and say that Marc Gasol had to foul so much becase their perimeter D was letting people in. You could say that matchups were always going to be a problem and make it supremely difficult for Spain force their will on the game. I saw the Gold Medal game start to finish with another huge bball fan. We both agreed watching it that Spain never had a chance*. The score was closer than the game should've been. Frankly I don't think the US played their best game (which they had to in 2008). *Or rather, that Spain winning in 2012 would've been because the US underperformed, not that Spain beat them at their best.

Regardless, all this is getting off topic, which is the Canadian team....Do you believe that the Canadian team can be better than the current Spanish team, or rather, the only team that could contend with and possibly beat the US in 2016 and/or 2020?
                          I think they will have a chance, at least for 2020. 2016 is going to be more about establishing a foundation, but I hope they at least make the eliminations and even semis. Wiggins will be a huge wildcard since he could have the potential to dominate any game.

My basis for this right now, mostly just the frontcourt.....
                          -Wiggins at SF, could be the best SF in the world.
                          -Bennett/Thompson/Olynyk frontcourt, extremely fast, athletic, and versatile, not even counting guys liek Sacre and Nicholson who'll be depth players.
                          -Of those 3, I think Bennett's got a shot at being a legit all-star. Dude is a beast who can score from anywhere, is fast and strong, rebounds like mad, and has explosiveness. If he were 6'9'' instead of 6'7'', I'm 99% sure he'd be the #1 pick this year (post-Noel injury of course), and 100% sure he'd be a top 2-3 pick.
                          -Add to that they do have talent growing at other positions too, including some capable, if not spectacular PGs.
                          Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Apr 9, 2013, 10:37 AM.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                            Comparing the potential of the Canadian team of the future to the perennial #2 team in the world is a bit far fetched

Spain has had an outstanding program for the last decade or so.. it goes beyond just the assembled talent... which, you still have to give to Spain.. proven vs potential is an easy bet

When is the last time Canada has even cracked the top 20?
                            When's the last time Canada led the world in foreign NBAers? That is what projects to happen over the next few years.

Comment

Or you can look at it and say that Marc Gasol had to foul so much becase their perimeter D was letting people in. You could say that matchups were always going to be a problem and make it supremely difficult for Spain force their will on the game. I saw the Gold Medal game start to finish with another huge bball fan. We both agreed watching it that Spain never had a chance*. The score was closer than the game should've been. Frankly I don't think the US played their best game (which they had to in 2008). *Or rather, that Spain winning in 2012 would've been because the US underperformed, not that Spain beat them at their best.

Regardless, all this is getting off topic, which is the Canadian team....Do you believe that the Canadian team can be better than the current Spanish team, or rather, the only team that could contend with and possibly beat the US in 2016 and/or 2020?
                              I think they will have a chance, at least for 2020. 2016 is going to be more about establishing a foundation, but I hope they at least make the eliminations and even semis. Wiggins will be a huge wildcard since he could have the potential to dominate any game.

My basis for this right now, mostly just the frontcourt.....
                              -Wiggins at SF, could be the best SF in the world.
                              -Bennett/Thompson/Olynyk frontcourt, extremely fast, athletic, and versatile, not even counting guys liek Sacre and Nicholson who'll be depth players.
                              -Of those 3, I think Bennett's got a shot at being a legit all-star. Dude is a beast who can score from anywhere, is fast and strong, rebounds like mad, and has explosiveness. If he were 6'9'' instead of 6'7'', I'm 99% sure he'd be the #1 pick this year (post-Noel injury of course), and 100% sure he'd be a top 2-3 pick.
                              -Add to that they do have talent growing at other positions too, including some capable, if not spectacular PGs.
                              Just to keep things off topic ...

I just disagree that Spain never had a chance. Pau Gasol was playing incredibly, and the thing about basketball seems to be, if you have the best player on the floor, you have a chance to win even if the overall talent level of his teammates is much less than the overall talent of the opposition (hence Lebron's Cleveland team making the finals. Hence Howard's Orlando team making the finals.)

And as for Marc in that game:

1. He just should have played smarter. When you mean as much to your team as he does, sometimes you gotta let a layup go by.

2. I remember thinking that some of his fouls were ticky tack, and definitely avoidable.

3. I might be wrong about this, but I believe that he picked up his fourth foul in the first half. That's just a straight up boneheaded move, both on his coach's part and on his own part.

As for Canada,

it wouldn't surprise me at all if we had the second ranked team by 2020.
                              "Stop eating your sushi."
                              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                                Just to keep things off topic ...

I just disagree that Spain never had a chance. Pau Gasol was playing incredibly, and the thing about basketball seems to be, if you have the best player on the floor, you have a chance to win even if the overall talent level of his teammates is much less than the overall talent of the opposition (hence Lebron's Cleveland team making the finals. Hence Howard's Orlando team making the finals.)

And as for Marc in that game:

1. He just should have played smarter. When you mean as much to your team as he does, sometimes you gotta let a layup go by.

2. I remember thinking that some of his fouls were ticky tack, and definitely avoidable.

3. I might be wrong about this, but I believe that he picked up his fourth foul in the first half. That's just a straight up boneheaded move, both on his coach's part and on his own part.

As for Canada,

it wouldn't surprise me at all if we had the second ranked team by 2020.
                                I did amend my statement to be more along the lines of Spain's chance was much too dependent on the USA playing an off game. As in, despite Spain's scrappiness and the score, control of the game was pretty much always in USA's hands. As in, after the game, Americans would be saying "Spain didn't win this game, we lost it" type of thing.

The way I see it, it would be a huge disappointment if Canada isn't #2 (at least in it's finish, if not rankings) in 2020, and I would like to see a finals as competitive as the 2008 Games (arguably the greatest single basketball game of all time, and definitely the greatest international game).

Finally, the bold is just to piont out that Wiggins is basically the consensus best wing prospect since Durant, if not Lebron. That means Canada could potentially always have the best player on the floor, even when playing the US. The last time a team could say that was when Sabonis was in his prime.
                                Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Apr 9, 2013, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X