Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The DOUBLE DRAGONS!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

That whole thing is absolutely brilliant! New invention in basketball, but then I had to laugh so hard as I imagined the following:

Lowry slowly brings the ball over the halfcourt. All 4 of his teammates suddenly storm from different corners towards the paint to combine a 4 man pick (screen) reaching from the right top of the key 3 point area, to the right-middle of the paint and Lowry all by himself dribbles the ball to the basket and lays it in...

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Agreed. Not sure what would be considered illegal about it ... besides the moving around. Probably have to hold position a bit more solidly going forward if they want to keep using this.

Its probably a good thing people have long since forgotten about THIS abomination of a movie...

Its right there with Mario Bros as worst Game-to-Film movie ever made.
    Yeah, the play is solid. The position thing is a good point, but it's easily fixed by overlapping feet instead of arms. If their feet cross each other and they're connected at the hip, they don't have to lock arms. If the defender pushes through them hard, it's going to be a very blatant foul knocking them off their position, because their is literally no legal space for him to go between them. Really, as long as they're hip-to-hip it should be fine.

So many bad video game movies, especially tacky 80s/90s ones. Have you seen the Wizard? With Fred Savage? And it's basically a movie-length commercial for Nintendo in North America?

Post Thanks / Like

In a way, the locking arms could work in their favour, because it shows that the defender is pushing them apart.

Post Thanks / Like

can someone make a GIF of the guy getting stuck between them and flailing?

5. Like white men can't jump liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Yeah, the play is solid. The position thing is a good point, but it's easily fixed by overlapping feet instead of arms. If their feet cross each other and they're connected at the hip, they don't have to lock arms. If the defender pushes through them hard, it's going to be a very blatant foul knocking them off their position, because their is literally no legal space for him to go between them. Really, as long as they're hip-to-hip it should be fine.

So many bad video game movies, especially tacky 80s/90s ones. Have you seen the Wizard? With Fred Savage? And it's basically a movie-length commercial for Nintendo in North America?

lol as a movie it was awful, but as a marketing campaign it did wonders for sales of Super Mario 3 on the Super Nintendo (if memory serves me)! This entire thread should be a pretty clear indicator of the various age brackets of RR posters! lol

Post Thanks / Like

That play really needs to end with someone hitting a shot. Demar seems like one of the worst options to run it for. It could be really useful for Ross depending on his progress for next year.

Post Thanks / Like

That play really needs to end with someone hitting a shot. Demar seems like one of the worst options to run it for. It could be really useful for Ross depending on his progress for next year.
    If they ran it to get Anderson or Lucas open, you can 99.99% guarantee there'd be a 3pt shot attempt... for better or worse!

God forbid they use the screen and resulting open look to move the ball around the perimiter for an open corner 3, as the defense struggles with rotations to compensate for the unexpected tag-team-pick!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    lol as a movie it was awful, but as a marketing campaign it did wonders for sales of Super Mario 3 on the Super Nintendo (if memory serves me)! This entire thread should be a pretty clear indicator of the various age brackets of RR posters! lol
    No, actually it was just for regular Nintendo, but you are absolutely right about the game.

Another shamelessly promoting series Nintendo had...for TV, Captain N, the Game Master...a story about a teen and his dog sucked into the Nintendo world, where he teams up with characters like Mega Man and other Nintendo heroes to battle Nintendo villains.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    If they ran it to get Anderson or Lucas open, you can 99.99% guarantee there'd be a 3pt shot attempt... for better or worse!

God forbid they use the screen and resulting open look to move the ball around the perimiter for an open corner 3, as the defense struggles with rotations to compensate for the unexpected tag-team-pick!
    I just don't want to encourage the use of players I want gone. But yeah, they could easily run it for those guys at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

No, actually it was just for regular Nintendo, but you are absolutely right about the game.

Another shamelessly promoting series Nintendo had...for TV, Captain N, the Game Master...a story about a teen and his dog sucked into the Nintendo world, where he teams up with characters like Mega Man and other Nintendo heroes to battle Nintendo villains.

hahaha I had forgotten all about that show, though I was a little too old to watch it back then. These references and images remind me of the good old days of my youth, scouring my copy of Nintendo Power for game hints...

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Laughing hard!
    #FREE

Post Thanks / Like

Nintendo had a surprisingly large budget for producing TV shows and the like... I'm starting to think they bought their way into my nostalgia ... which I suppose I'm fine with.

"I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Screw that, I loved The Wizard as a kid. Video game genius kid on the run, the power glove scene, the Super Mario 3 Tournament! It was super cheesy, but it was awesome as a kids movie, which tend to all be a bit cheesy.

Raptors Republic Rookie AlienOverlord's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a play I've been thinking of. Lowry plants himself in the lane and teammates use him to vault up for dunks or rebounds. Basically use sturdy Lowry and plant a hand on his shoulder to propel yourself up into the air.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Nintendo had a surprisingly large budget for producing TV shows and the like... I'm starting to think they bought their way into my nostalgia ... which I suppose I'm fine with.
    not all that surprising.. you have to remember, in the 90s they pretty much cornered the market in video gaming.. the term "Nintendo" almost was at the point of being used as a synonymous term for video games the same way "band aid" is used for adhesive bandages

The Sega Master System did alright for itself, but they were a distant second place... and really, were more well known for their actual arcade games at the time

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    not all that surprising.. you have to remember, in the 90s they pretty much cornered the market in video gaming.. the term "Nintendo" almost was at the point of being used as a synonymous term for video games the same way "band aid" is used for adhesive bandages

The Sega Master System did alright for itself, but they were a distant second place... and really, were more well known for their actual arcade games at the time
    And now Nintendo is dead. Their new consoles are complete trash

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    Screw that, I loved The Wizard as a kid. Video game genius kid on the run, the power glove scene, the Super Mario 3 Tournament! It was super cheesy, but it was awesome as a kids movie, which tend to all be a bit cheesy.
    Yeah, but have you rewatched since being a kid?? I mean, you can still like it for all the same reasons, but the shameless promotion is crazy. They showcase a bunch of different games, the old Nintendo Power Glove, Nindendo Power magazine, talk about secrets in different games....it's hilariously bad in a way.

And it just wouldn't be a movie from that era without Christian Slater...

Post Thanks / Like

this discussion seems to have taken a different course

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    And now Nintendo is dead. Their new consoles are complete trash
    not really, on your first point. totally agree on your second though.

Nintendo always does well enough to stay afloat. They're always attributed as the "console for kids" or whatever... but the reality is, they're the cheaper alternative.

They've followed this model for awhile now. They released the Wii long before the PS3 and Xbox 360 came out.. and when they did come out, Nintendo seriously cut their prices... so cheaper system with bigger game library vs new system with limited library

They did the same thing with the NDS when the Vita came out

They'll do the same with Wii U

I'm not a big fan of their stuff... but what they do works in the sense that they aren't struggling... in Asia, their main market, they'll remain firmly at #2

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Sure, but now the whole league knows it. I can just imagine what great coaches like Popovich and Spoelstra will do once they get a hold of it. Credit to Casey, no question - truly innovative. Pretty sure the league wil have to ban it in the offseason - no way David Stern wants his pretty little NBA looking like Aussie Rules. Maybe we could see it in this year's playoffs - that would be awesome & controversial.
    The Spurs have actually been running plays with that double screen thing for years. They just don't have their players hug each other while they do it.

What's amazing is that it works to perfection...and then Demar doesn't take the shot...I mean, why even run it? This team just finds more and more ways to anger me...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information