No announcement yet.

The "dilemma" facing the Raptors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering that The Raptors are going to compete for playoffs next year (and possibly won't get a lottery pick in 2014 draft), I think the best case scenario would be to continue playing our current (terrible) form and lose most of the games remaining (Home: Washington, Chicago, Brooklyn, Boston; Away: Minnesota, Milwaukee, Chicago, Atlanta) and hope to get lucky in the lottery. Despite the fact that this year draft considered as a very weak one, it's still better to get a high pick (draft a young player, or trade the pick) than get nothing On the other hand, from the Raptors view, even if we wouldn't win the top-3 pick in the lottery, it's still better option that OKC would get higher pick instead of Washington, Detroit or Philly
    Last edited by japetas; Wed Apr 3, 2013, 05:01 PM.
    (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
      I just want to say right now, that you are all going to look like a bunch of haha dummy stupid pants when The Raptors make a few minor moves get a summer of health, training and growth and come back next year and make the playoffs
      Agreed. I don't even think it's too far beyond the realm of possibility for that to happen.

1. Kleiza walks (or is amnestied)
      2. Bargnani is amnestied or traded for anything positive
      3. DeRozan is traded for Millsap (S&T)
      4. MLE is used to acquire a solid veteran backup PG
      5. Gray and Anderson come back

Suddenly the lineup looks a lot better
      C: Valanciunas, Gray*
      PF: Millsap, Johnson
      SF: Gay, Anderson
      SG: Fields, Ross
      PG: Lowry, MLE
      * assuming Gray's time is limited, that's a pretty solid 9-man rotation (although I'd prefer to upgrade Anderson too, which could potentially be done via the draft if the Raps luck into a top-3 pick)

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
        I just want to say right now, that you are all going to look like a bunch of haha dummy stupid pants when The Raptors make a few minor moves get a summer of health, training and growth and come back next year and make the playoffs
        If one of those changes is a new head coach and GM, then I might be in agreement.

BC needs to go. His stink of losing is stronger than poo.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          Agreed. I don't even think it's too far beyond the realm of possibility for that to happen.

1. Kleiza walks (or is amnestied)
          2. Bargnani is amnestied or traded for anything positive
          3. DeRozan is traded for Millsap (S&T)
          4. MLE is used to acquire a solid veteran backup PG
          5. Gray and Anderson come back

Suddenly the lineup looks a lot better
          C: Valanciunas, Gray*
          PF: Millsap, Johnson
          SF: Gay, Anderson
          SG: Fields, Ross
          PG: Lowry, MLE
          * assuming Gray's time is limited, that's a pretty solid 9-man rotation (although I'd prefer to upgrade Anderson too, which could potentially be done via the draft if the Raps luck into a top-3 pick)
          That lineup is useless with Casey and will see AA leading the charge in crunch time.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            That lineup is useless with Casey and will see AA leading the charge in crunch time.
            I'm on board now with the need for new management and coaching, regardless of the personnel decisions made in the offseason.

As I mentioned in my post, my preference would be for Anderson to NOT return to the team next season - I just didn't want to leave a hole in the lineup and needed to be realistic from the financial angle. If the MLE were used on a backup PG, then I believe the Raps would only have the Vet Minimum and minimum/rookie contracts available to fill the spot (aside from a Bird-rights re-signing of Anderson). If the Raps luck into a top-3 pick, they could draft one of the wings to develop on the 2nd unit, further making DeRozan expendable for trade, to acquire an upgraded starting PF. Dominos...

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
              The condescending tone and dismissive stance toward posters is sure to win you friends and respect on a message board where people come to brainstorm their ideas. You're a true internet hero putting everyone in their place. Good for you, tiger. Now, get yourself a pat on the back and a cookie.
              1. Perhaps you seek "friends" and "respect" through anonymous people on the internet, but it's not on my agenda. Challenging discussion is far more interesting and stimulating, but apparently sensitive personalities can't handle a little challenge to produce something of substance behind their "opinions", never mind a little smack talk. Awwww, I feel bad.
              2. Your sweeping statement about my condescending tone and dismissive stance is hilarious, considering your own "You're a true internet hero putting everyone in their place. Good for you, tiger. Now, get yourself a pat on the back and a cookie.", but perhaps you can point out my greater fault(s) in how I approached expressing my opinion, and how I may gain better favour with the kumbaya mob. What was so fn wrong with my paragraph you quoted, that you felt compelled to get up on your soapbox to gain "friends" and "respect"?

But you know what's really funny? You, and others, spend tons of time on here playing a "true internet hero putting everyone (management, coaching, players, broadcasters in your case) in their place", as in ranting daily with an incredibly "condescending tone and dismissive stance toward" people who can't respond, and give "yourself a pat on the back and a cookie". All the while you're having hissy fits over someone challenging one of your campfire friends that's here and able to respond. And if the response is also challenged, you have an even bigger hissy fit, instead of providing some form of reasoned "brainstorm" that you're apparently into,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, beyond your daily whine & bitch about everything Raptors related.

That rant out of the way, so what's your brainstorm of a tanking execution?
              Last edited by p00ka; Wed Apr 3, 2013, 10:16 PM.

Comment

The crux of his argument is that any player is tradeable, especially if the short-term desire is to blatantly tank. The concept is sound and doesn't require specific trade details to be justified as a viable option. It's certainly a far-fetched, unlikely and near impossible option, but a valid one nonetheless.

Get past the details of his suggested possible transactions (he did allude to the fact that it was up to the GM to be the GM, meaning he couldn't possibly know how the plan would actually get executed) and consider his plan more conceptually. I don't agree with him in the least, but it could happen (and has many time before).
                The bold statements are spot on, which is why I posed the simple question in my first response. The Raps are in no way in position to "tank" next year, without "giving away" young and talented assets, which if you asked the owners, and season ticket holders, is no plan at all.

Comment

I'd argue that almost any trade deadline deal involves 'tanking' in some degree. It's almost always a matter of one team trading for 'help now', while the other team receives 'assets for later'.

It's tanking if you have no intention of fighting for the playoffs (even then I think that would be a very subjective discussion), but it's savvy strategic team-building once your team is out of contention for the playoffs.

I think a great example would be the Cavs trade a couple years ago, where they traded Mo Williams & Jamario Moon to the Clippers for Baron Davis & 1st round pick. The Cavs didn't make that trade to acquire Davis or to make themselves more competitive; they gave up the best player to get a 1st round pick. Is that 'tanking' or planning for the future? It's such a fine line...
                  To further clarify what I mean by unprecedented: for us to really tank next year, that would involve multiple assets being traded in return for a obvious net-loss in present-roster talent. And it would have to happen over the summer, because the trade deadline would be too late. That's the scenario that has never happened before.
                  "Stop eating your sushi."
                  "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                  "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                    Okay, let's go step by step.

"-If Demar was not signed to an extn., naturally a few teams would have been interested in him. For the sake of argument, let's say Detroit(money to spend) would have been the forerunner. Detroit offers FA Demar 4yr 40mil. and then does a S & T with Toronto for a 1st rounder. The same thing is done in the off-season the only difference being that it's not a S & T."

Remember, I asked how does one actually execute this massive "tank". Yes, it's safe to assume other teams would be interested in Demar, but which ones and in return for what? Was Detroit pulled out of the air (fantasy?), or is it a legit example? It's no example at all, as Detroit's 2014 1st rounder is owned by Charlotte (top 8 protected), so they can't offer it. In fact, because of that deal with Charlotte, they can't currently offer a 1st round pick of their own until 2018, unless Charlotte gets it before 2016. So, "reasonable point", or fantasy pie in the sky stuff with zero possibility?

"Amir has a lot of market value considering his play this season. Teams should be queue-ing up for him. Add Fields or Bargnani and take advantage of the demand for Amir and get an expiring contract or picks or cheaper contract/s in return."

I have no idea why someone would be suggesting unloading Amir (sooooo many reasons not to!), but this is nothing but some wishy-washy fantasy thinking that some imaginary team is going to take on Fields or Bargs, because they want Amir so much that they're willing to take on one of those contracts and give up some imaginary contract (s) and picks that would be of some value to the Raps. Any "reasonable" example, or just wishy-washy fantasy GMing with no regard for realities of trading in the real NBA?

"-Same goes for Lowry(expiring contract)."

Again, fantasy shuffling of players, with no example of anything real, that makes sense.

"If necessary Ross."

See all of the above.

"more ways are possible which is why a GM is a GM."

Well, nothing offered so far is anything other than imaginary player/pick shuffling with imaginary teams (except for the impossible suggestion with Detroit). I'd suggest that a GM's job is a little more complicated than that. Shoot, even fantasy basketball GMing isn't that simple, and you don't have to be concerned with how the players you've got left think about this BS going on, to say nothing of what owners and fans that buy season tickets think about it.
                    The biggest mistake you're making is taking everything literally. The points that were stated in my answer to YOUR question were only EXAMPLES. A careful analysis to ensure their possibility is not necessary when they are EXAMPLES, EXAMPLES being the key word. In fact I took no more than 5 mts. to type the post. Even that(5 mts.) is on the high side. The purpose of quoting those examples was to make the POINT that clearing the roster via trades is possible. This would weaken the team so they can(hopefully, not definitely) tank. That is the POINT.

Would BC or any GM do the exact same thing? Of course not. Should you or anybody use those ideas in fantasy BB? Of course not. At the same time, are the mentioned points(examples) unrealistic? Of course not.

Please don't disect and anlyse every point. By doing so, you'll miss THE point. Not only on the forum but in any aspect of life. My advice for what it's worth.

BTW I don't mean to disturb discussions.
                    Last edited by Eric Akshinthala; Thu Apr 4, 2013, 01:52 AM.
                    Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                      Do you think Casey should go given that Casey seems to be the source of push Lowry to be pass first point guard? I think Lowry should have complete freedom for the rest of the season and see how it plays out.
                      Is Casey the reason, or is it BC? I guess it doesn't really matter. If it is Casey, I don't think he should go simply for trying to change Lowry's game. I just don't want Lowry's game to change too much. What was the point of acquiring him if we are not going to use him as an offensive threat? Another poster mentioned that Lowry is used to carry the ball up the floor, pass it to a wing, and park behind the line waiting for a 3pt shot (I'm sorry for not quoting). This is not efficient use of his skills, and I doubt Casey himself would argue otherwise. Now I do not agree that he should have complete freedom for the rest of the season as I fear the overall effect would be similar to what we saw at the beginning of the season, and I do not support tanking. But I do want to see Lowry in a more offensive role on this team. I'd like him to be one of the main offensive options for the starting line. However, this is difficult given the lineup we have with Gay and DeRozan requiring a lot of touches, and the need to develop JV in the post. This is why I offer the suggestion of moving DeRozan and inserting a more defensive oriented SG that can shoot the distance shot. Leave the penetration to GAy and Lowry, the inside play to JV, and have Amir and your SG doing all the little things. I sincerely believe that 3 go-to type guys is sufficient for any offensive lineup, and I do believe that JV, RG, and KL can be those guys.

Another option I've been thinking about is moving Gay and Lowry, but keeping DeRozan. If we moved BArgs, Gay and Lowry we would have substantial cap room for free agency. We would also have a decent core in JV, AJ, DD and TR from which to build around. Of course, this isn't very realistic with BC heading the show, and would probably set us back an extra year or two unless we could land some really good FA's. Furthermore, I believe having Gay would be better for luring FA's than DeMar.

And again, another option is to move Bargs and Ross, acquiring a SG like I mentioned before, and have DeRozan come off the bench. Add a Carl Landry type player as well, and you can have a decent two man offensive punch coming off the bench. Of course, no one wants a $9.5 mil guy coming off the bench, but if he was for it, and it made the team better than why not?

I guess the theme here is that I have little confidence in the ability of Gay, DeRozan and Lowry to integrate their offensive talents effectively, while still allowing JV to develop and be an important part of the offense. There have been glimpses of the possibility throughout the season, but they were few and far between, and involved impressive ball movement and impressive off the ball movement of the players. For whatever reason, we do not do that consistently, but if we did I'd have little issue with this team, and would simply ask that we beef up the bench a little.

Comment

Working...
                      X