No announcement yet.

The "dilemma" facing the Raptors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I honestly think we just needa trade derozan for a good three point shooter... hes the odd man out now. Too similar to gay.
    "Masai WILL win us a championship"
    - Tim Leiweke

Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

Reporter: "How can you say that?"

Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

Comment

DeRozan to the Bucks for JJ Reddick
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

DeRozan and Ross are a toss up....

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
          Matt in his anger has pointed out that everything seems to be gearing up for 2015. If we start winning more even in mediocrity the young guys learn how to win and the expensive contracts come off the books with JV and Ross entering their prime. This really does seem to be the long view.
          Anger?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Anger?
            I interpreted it as such, it might also be frustration, chronic raptor fan fatigue syndrome, or just plain ahfuckit disease
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Here's a bigger dilemma facing the Raptors.

Given that:

1) Colangelo's contract will be up next season (assuming his option is picked up)
              2) unless this team falls apart next season, they are unlikely to tank and rebuild

what does the team do with BC if the team makes the playoffs?

Do they resign BC despite the past 7 season and reward him for getting to playoffs and allow him to run the team for an extended period of time (3-5 years) to keep his team going. Or do they let him go and bringing in a new GM who would likely look to make significant changes, despite finally making the playoffs after all the years of 'building'?

[I know I'm making a few assumptions here (BC gets his option picked up) but I think thats almost a given considering the big moves that were allowed this season, and that the Raps aren't contenders next season, which would arguably make it rather easy to resing BC. Also missing the playoffs next season I would think makes it a given that Colangelo won't be extended. ]

That, I think is the huge dilemma facing this organization. Would one year of 'success' be enough to justify an extension after years of failure? vs finally finding that 'success' and reaching a goal, and then replacing the guy who did it?

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post

Do they resign BC despite the past 7 season and reward him for getting to playoffs and allow him to run the team for an extended period of time (3-5 years) to keep his team going. Or do they let him go and bringing in a new GM who would likely look to make significant changes, despite finally making the playoffs after all the years of 'building'?

That, I think is the huge dilemma facing this organization. Would one year of 'success' be enough to justify an extension after years of failure? vs finally finding that 'success' and reaching a goal, and then replacing the guy who did it?
                Won't be an issue. This team isn't making the playoffs next year.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  #1 is the only viable option. A team doesn't draft in the lottery for 4 straight seasons (DeRozan, Davis, Valanciunas and Ross), then trade a future 1st round pick for a young starting PG and make a blockbuster deal for a high priced 2nd-tier star, only to turnaround and start another complete rebuild from scratch. This isn't even a legit discussion, as far as the Raptors are concerned.

Even if all the Raptors players died and a rebuild from scratch was required, there's no guarantee that the Raps be the 'best' at tanking ahead of the 2014 draft, there's no guarantee that the Raps would win the 2014 draft lottery and there's no guarantee that any players in the 2014 draft lottery will go on to become superstars. That's not even a strategy, it's just dumb luck, wishful thinking and hope.
                  Damn well put.
                  “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

Guys we don't need to tank and rebuild

1 of 2 things will happen.

DeRozan/Gay/Lowry/Bargnani will gel magnificently next season as they should on paper OR

they won't and we will have Ross, Amir and JV to build around and shit tonne of money to do it with in 2015

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                      Here's a bigger dilemma facing the Raptors.

Given that:

1) Colangelo's contract will be up next season (assuming his option is picked up)
                      2) unless this team falls apart next season, they are unlikely to tank and rebuild

[I know I'm making a few assumptions here (BC gets his option picked up) but I think thats almost a given considering the big moves that were allowed this season, and that the Raps aren't contenders next season, which would arguably make it rather easy to resing BC. Also missing the playoffs next season I would think makes it a given that Colangelo won't be extended. ]

Some very good points. I agree that considering the moves he's been allowed to make, it's safe to assume that BC stays(option year). Putting myself in MLSE's shoes, I think an extension for BC would depend on how they make the play-offs. If 35-37 wins are sufficient and they therefore make the play-offs they should fire him. If the team shows improvement to win 42-44 wins, he should be retained.

IMO they should make a decision around the All-Star break 'cause by that time they'll have a fairly good idea of where the team is going. If there's good improvement, stay the course and retain him and if there isn't, fire him and like when Babcock was fired, have an interim GM clean up and create Cap space as much as possible. This should give Raps. a chance to fall to be bottom of the pack and hopefully get a top 5-6 pick in the draft that follows.
                      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

What is the goal for this team and organization? What is BC's plan? It's almost impossible to tell and I would argue that this outfit isn't moving in a specific direction. It just doesn't seem that BC, DC, and all the players are on the same page. Regardless of the lineup, this team will never contend with that prevailing fault. So, I wish there was a better sense of where this team is going, or trying to go. And it's obvious that the fans on this forum are confused as well.

I think the goal should be to produce a competitive lineup that can go deep in the 2014/15 playoffs, or more realistically the year after. To do this we should remain financially flexible for the 2014 offseason free agent class. Although its difficult to attract top tier free agents to TO, I believe BC ( or his replacement) should be as active as possible. Not trying, or not having the flexibility to try, would be much worse than some players saying "I'm not interested".

So, where do we go from here? Rebuilding isn't really an option as CalgaryRapsFan pointed out. So we have to try and improve what we have yet still have the flexibility to participate in 2014 free agency. This doesn't give us many options. Kleiza or BArgs will most likely be amnestied. Bargs will have $23 mil remaining over two years in the offseason, Kleiza only $4.6 mil and Bargs is a better trade chip. So, we amnesty Kleiza. We attempt to trade Bargs in the off season for an expiring contract. This means Boozer isn't an option. We may need to package Bargs with Derozan, and I am ok with this for the right return. And Lowry probably gets extended as well.

This would leave us with JV, AJ, RG, KL, LF and TR as the 2014 FA sweepstakes began and lots of cap room. That's not bad especially if this team works better together next year and JV and TR show some good improvement. It may even be enough to attract a top tier FA.

I'm not sold on Lowry yet though. Even if he gets extended we may have to consider moving him as well. If BC wants Lowry to play like Calderon, than why didn't he just keep Calderon? We need to utilize Lowry's strengths, and much of that is offense. If he is to remain on this team, I'd like to see him play more like the Lowry we saw at the beginning of the season. More assertive and aggressive with his driving and offense. He should take it to the basket more and he should shoot more free throws. Our main offensive threats should be Gay, JV, and Lowry. However, he still has to improve on the pick n roll. Our return for Bargs and Derozan should include a SG that can defend and shoot distance shots well. A player like Sefalosha would be nice.

In any event, I'd like some sense of direction with this teams management, and a future that includes JV and AJ at the least.

Comment

No way they are tanking, but I've always maintained this is what they should have done in order to try and acquire a star player then try and build around that star. Since BC was never able to properly tank I was and still am in support of the trade for Gay and at this point there is nothing else they can do, but go further into the hole with spending to try and improve the team. They should do this we short term contracts if they can.

My opinion on tanking is some what in line with the following speech which has nothing to do with tanking...sorry, wasn't able to attach the video from work.

Jessup: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom! You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives! You don't want the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall! You need me on that wall! We use words like "honor", "code", "loyalty". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline! I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "Thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

Comment

LOL, how do you propose this massive "tank" be executed? With a rapidly improving JV, a healthy Rudy/Lowry/Fields, an again improved DD, everybody with a year under their belt of playing together, how the hell could they tank? What would you do to ensure a "worthwhile tank"?

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                              LOL, how do you propose this massive "tank" be executed? With a rapidly improving JV, a healthy Rudy/Lowry/Fields, an again improved DD, everybody with a year under their belt of playing together, how the hell could they tank? What would you do to ensure a "worthwhile tank"?
                              Play Andrea 40 minutes a night and keep Amir on the bench for under 20 minutes a night.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                                If you're asking me the question, here's the answer. Before that though, I'm not in favour of tanking therefore the title "dilemma Raps..." not 'Let's tank'. The thread was started for the sake of good discussion.

However, here's how tanking is possible:

-If Demar was not signed to an extn., naturally a few teams would have been interested in him. For the sake of argument, let's say Detroit(money to spend) would have been the forerunner. Detroit offers FA Demar 4yr 40mil. and then does a S & T with Toronto for a 1st rounder. The same thing is done in the off-season the only difference being that it's not a S & T.
                                -Amir has a lot of market value considering his play this season. Teams should be queue-ing up for him. Add Fields or Bargnani and take advantage of the demand for Amir and get an expiring contract or picks or cheaper contract/s in return.
                                -Same goes for Lowry(expiring contract).
                                -If necessary Ross.
                                -more ways are possible which is why a GM is a GM.

Note: Bargnani's and Gay's contracts expire at the end of 2015 therefore giving Raps. flexibility.
                                Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X