Chisholm: Lowry's Struggles and Dwayne Casey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
    What this team needs to be doing is tank for Wiggins.
    Hey, I'm with ya.

But we all know that management is not going that route. Maybe we can revisit the tanking-for-Wiggins strategy when/if Colangelo gets canned.

Comment

Calderon was traded on January 30.

Kyle Lowry since the trade:
      February Stats:
      12 games // 32mpg // 39.1% FG // 41% 3pt // 11ppg // 6.5 apg // 4.4 rpg

March Stats:
      15 games // 31mpg // 38.7% FG // 31.1% 3pt // 9.1 ppg // 6.4 apg // 5.2 rpg

So from what I'm reading, these numbers are Casey's fault. Well, there are no "facilitators" anywhere on the roster. Someone has to do it or you'll just have 5 individual games of one-on-one. I wouldn't want Rudy Gay doing it -- lo and behold Rudy is no longer "suffering" having a top 3 center and a dominant low-post scorer "clogging" up the lane... and his numbers are just as bad and in some cases worse. I don't think DeRozan is capable of it either, so what exactly is this team supposed to do on offense? Toss the ball up and say GO SCORE SOME POINTS GUYS?

Lowry played a "freewheeling" style (and was extremely productive) early on in the season, and despite his extreme productivity, we were 2-9 in his first 11 starts.

I think Casey has the right idea of playing guys and making them do team-like things. I don't think he's a super-awesome coach, but Lowry dominating the ball is a bad idea. I don't think it's ever a good thing to dominate the ball unless you're a top 5 player in the league. Or if you're, you know, someone who has historically shot better than 42% for the last 6 years.
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

To paraphrase Charles Barkley, this is like the guy at the end of the night trying to talk himself into one of the 3 ugly fat chicks left at the bar. Lowry is a guy who has a rep of being a sh*t disturber to the point where Chauncey Billups has to sit him down and tell him to stop being a dick. Casey is a coach who hasn't had any success as a head coach and turned out to be really as an assistant when he has Tyson Chandler and Shawn Marion at his disposal. And Calderon, as a starter, lead teams with 33, 40, 22 and 23 wins and hasn't exactly set Detroit on fire. When you're arguing over who's the best of these 3, you know your team is in real trouble.

Comment

I remember watching a game when Kyle was still playing for Houston, when the clashes were going on, the commentators said McHale is a "big man's coach," which I'm not entirely sure what that means.

They went on to say McHale would give a longer leash for the bigs and shorter ones for the guards.

Comment

My guess is the "headcase" part, is Lowry's lack of emotional control. He wears his heart on his sleeve, and his body language changes with the ups and downs. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but when it affects his play: getting a "t" when complaining to refs, clashing with Casey, etc. that could become a detriment.

At some point, he has to see that being moved to another team--again--may not be good for him career-wise. He certainly has the tools to become a top-10 PG, and I do agree with those who want him to play to his strengths, while refining some other qualities as well.

Comment

Fair89 wrote: View Post
              I remember watching a game when Kyle was still playing for Houston, when the clashes were going on, the commentators said McHale is a "big man's coach," which I'm not entirely sure what that means.

They went on to say McHale would give a longer leash for the bigs and shorter ones for the guards.
              His guards are doing just fine this season.
              your pal,
              ebrian

Comment

Working...
              X