No announcement yet.

Chisholm: Lowry's Struggles and Dwayne Casey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Casey's failure to adapt the offense, and get the most out of lowry as well as gay and derozan means that a more effective offensive coach should at least be considered.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
      Lol really? are you really going to give me that naive kind of a response?? Lowry HAS clashed with each of his past coaches!! It's a FACT! and there's a reason for that. Don't give me that, is everything supposed to be all shiny and clean with the coach response.

You brought up McHale, and it's funny because i've never heard any SINGLE negative comments said about him by any of his current players. The current Rockets team LOVE playing for McHale. As for last year, where did you hear the rumour that Lowry wasn't the only one showing displeasure with McHale?
      rick adelman?

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post

Casey's failure to adapt the offense, and get the most out of lowry as well as gay and derozan means that a more effective offensive coach should at least be considered.
        And if he actually IS getting the most out of those guys? Cause that's a distinct possibility.
        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
          And if he actually IS getting the most out of those guys? Cause that's a distinct possibility.
          He definitely is not getting most out.

This year line up versus last is a real improvement in terms of talent.

Casey has shown he is a good soldier and great assistant who struggles to fit square pegs in round holes.

Comment

lowry has last season in houston and a couple of games early in the season to make me think it is not a possibility.

Comment

Casey caters too much to our "scorers" -- Rudy and DeMar ... I hate that distinction. Why do you have to peg a couple guys a single role of a "scorer" when in reality, it means running consecutive isolation plays & having your "future point guard" take on a role of a Mario Chalmers in Miami.

Kyle Lowry is probably our best shooter, ball handler & assist man in this team. Why is his usage so low? Why do you choose to give him a role as an entry passer evolving into a camper (for the next 16 seconds in the shot clock)?

Our team is full of chuckers because the coach lets it happen. We resemble a poor man's New York Knicks with all this small ball isolation bullsh!t ... I think that Casey is dead wrong with his approach but I mean, I could care less now because the L's just mean more of a chance of getting a top 3 pick.
              “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                I've watched Lowry say all the right things, support his team mates including Calderon when he would get hot. I haven't seen him commit a single professional mistake this year...which is what HEADCASES do. Lowry is not a head case. He is not playing to his strengths but being PG requires you to make eight other people better and can take more than four months of starting to get there.
                What the hell is up with your foot bro?
                "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                  What the hell is up with your foot bro?
                  That's not his foot, that's his HAND!
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    All I know is that I feel no better about the PG situation now than I did before the team acquired Lowry. Sigh...
                    +1

Comment

torch19 wrote: View Post
                      Casey caters too much to our "scorers" -- Rudy and DeMar ... I hate that distinction. Why do you have to peg a couple guys a single role of a "scorer" when in reality, it means running consecutive isolation plays & having your "future point guard" take on a role of a Mario Chalmers in Miami.

Kyle Lowry is probably our best shooter, ball handler & assist man in this team. Why is his usage so low? Why do you choose to give him a role as an entry passer evolving into a camper (for the next 16 seconds in the shot clock)?

Our team is full of chuckers because the coach lets it happen. We resemble a poor man's New York Knicks with all this small ball isolation bullsh!t ... I think that Casey is dead wrong with his approach but I mean, I could care less now because the L's just mean more of a chance of getting a top 3 pick.
                      I almost agree with what you're saying. However, I think Casey is really trying to mould Lowry into a complete package, something like a Chris Paul, a guy who can light it up, and dish it off.

Right now, Lowry is only half of the equation: when he gets hot, he can shoot the lights out and get hero baskets. I don't think Lowry has the mentality to get his team game going.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        He definitely is not getting most out.

This year line up versus last is a real improvement in terms of talent.

Casey has shown he is a good soldier and great assistant who struggles to fit square pegs in round holes.
                        I'm not sure how you can say that with such certainty. Neither one is playing horribly above or below their career numbers. This -- what you're seeing now in Toronto -- may be what you get with Lowry/Gay when you try to make them the focal points of your team.

And I'm not talking about the whole team. I'm talking about the two players brought in to lead the whole team. I certainly agree that I'd prefer Casey had played Ross and Valanciunas more this year. Other than that, I don't really have much complaint about how the team has been run from a coaching standpoint, and I don't think any other player has significantly under- or over-performed against realistic expectations.

The point is that EVERY coach struggles to fit square pegs in round holes. That's not a knock on his ability to coach defense, design offense, etc. That's a knock on the people who handed him all those square pegs. Ideally, you want round pegs, or at least, pegs with rounded edges that can be gradually sanded to fit.

Gay and Lowry, at their age and with their history, are definitely square pegs. My preferred solution would be to trade 'em for round ones, not switching out the board for a new one that you hope the pegs will fit into better.
                        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

I'm not sure how you can say that with such certainty. Neither one is playing horribly above or below their career numbers. This -- what you're seeing now in Toronto -- may be what you get with Lowry/Gay when you try to make them the focal points of your team.

And I'm not talking about the whole team. I'm talking about the two players brought in to lead the whole team. I certainly agree that I'd prefer Casey had played Ross and Valanciunas more this year. Other than that, I don't really have much complaint about how the team has been run from a coaching standpoint, and I don't think any other player has significantly under- or over-performed against realistic expectations.

The point is that EVERY coach struggles to fit square pegs in round holes. That's not a knock on his ability to coach defense, design offense, etc. That's a knock on the people who handed him all those square pegs. Ideally, you want round pegs, or at least, pegs with rounded edges that can be gradually sanded to fit.

Gay and Lowry, at their age and with their history, are definitely square pegs. My preferred solution would be to trade 'em for round ones, not switching out the board for a new one that you hope the pegs will fit into better.
                          Patience goes a long way, I am not ready to give up on casey yet. The season is lost and there is nothing to play for other than building chemistry between players. Casey gets a pass from me, because going with your analogy I think it is detrimental to switch out the board OR trade for different pegs in the short term.

But if we don't win more next year (because that is the most important statistic to me), hell yeah I'd consider replacing a coach (which quite frankly there is a large supply of) over players which we would not likely receive good value for (gay overpaid, lowry contract year).

I also don't agree with the notion that all coaches struggle to adapt.

Comment

Having said that, the Raptors cannot afford to get off to another slow start next year. This team needs to be floating around .500 after 20 games.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Having said that, the Raptors cannot afford to get off to another slow start next year. This team needs to be floating around .500 after 20 games.
                              What this team needs to be doing is tank for Wiggins.
                              "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                Which, depending on the schedule, should be a reality with this roster. As flawed as the roster is, this is the most talent we've had in a while.
                                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X