Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Cuban says he would draft Brittney Griner. Would you?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Cuban says he would draft Brittney Griner. Would you?

    Cuban told reporters before Tuesday night's game between the Mavericks and the Lakers that if Griner is the best player available, "I will take her."

    The 6-foot-8 Griner finished her college career as the NCAA leader in blocked shots and the second-leading scorer in women's college basketball history.

    Cuban says he has already thought about it and "Right now, I'd lean towards yes, just to see if she can do it. You never know unless you give somebody a chance."

    Cuban said Griner would have to make the team and he isn't "opposed to giving her the opportunity."

    He adds: "That'd sell out a few games."

    Griner responded with a tweet: "I would hold my own! Lets do it"

    Source
    Interesting. Well he isn't lying .. it certainly would sell out some games. I'd be curious to see how she did ... she can definitely play ball.
    In Masai we Trust.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,558
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think she could be MAX a role player in the NBA. Never a starter.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's not going to happen. She would be an undersized big who is used to have a size advantage (and skill for that matter) against any opponent she goes up against. Cuban is just showing his appreciation and being Cuban.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Mark Cuban was talking about NBA prospects and a young Asian guard in particular. He gave his stock answer. “If he’s good, we’re looking at him,” Cuban said. “I don’t care if the guy is from Upper Slobovia. If he can play, we’ll take them. If Brittney Griner can play, we’ll take her with our second-round pick. I don’t care.” And with that, the can of worms officially got ripped open. Cuban said he’s serious about the possibility of bringing in Baylor’s 6-8 star now that her college eligibility is done.

    “If she’s the best on the board, we’ll take her,” Cuban said. “If we have the 60th pick and she’s on the board, we still might take her.” [...] “I’ve thought about it already,” he said. “Would I do it? And right now, I’d lean toward yes, just to see if she can do it. You never know until you give someone a chance. And it’s not like the likelihood of any late-50s draft pick has a good chance of making it. If we had tryouts, I would have no problem inviting her to work out and see how she did. No problem whatsoever.”
    The amount of buzz that Griner would bring to the Summer League would be almost unmatched. And if she could move her game to more of a SF, I don't see size being a factor. She's 6'8", 200lbs.
    In Masai we Trust.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    The amount of buzz that Griner would bring to the Summer League would be almost unmatched. And if she could move her game to more of a SF, I don't see size being a factor. She's 6'8", 200lbs.
    Yes, but I think she's very far from having the type of game or speed for sf; that's just not an option from what I've seen (that is limited to highlights though).

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    Yes, but I think she's very far from having the type of game or speed for sf; that's just not an option from what I've seen (that is limited to highlights though).
    Totally agree, but I'm solely speaking of being able to compete in Summer League. Haha
    I don't think she'd get embarrassed in Summer League.

    But in terms of where/if she'd fit in an actual NBA game, it's tough to say. But if any female player could do it, it'd be her.
    In Masai we Trust.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Totally agree, but I'm solely speaking of being able to compete in Summer League. Haha
    I don't think she'd get embarrassed in Summer League.

    But in terms of where/if she'd fit in an actual NBA game, it's tough to say. But if any female player could do it, it'd be her.
    it'd be a great story, no doubt. even if it was just in summer league. it just isn't realistic.

    without getting overly sexist as i normally would.. the physical differences between men and women are too vast to allow for fair competition despite her skill level... we're talking the effects of testosterone vs estrogen.. bone density.. physical builds.. muscle structure

    there's an interesting argument going on in MMA right now about Fallon Fox, a transgendered fighter (man to woman) who fights chicks that has had me doing a bit of research between the physicalities of men and women lately..

    also, boobies.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    it'd be a great story, no doubt. even if it was just in summer league. it just isn't realistic.

    without getting overly sexist as i normally would.. the physical differences between men and women are too vast to allow for fair competition despite her skill level... we're talking the effects of testosterone vs estrogen.. bone density.. physical builds.. muscle structure

    there's an interesting argument going on in MMA right now about Fallon Fox, a transgendered fighter (man to woman) who fights chicks that has had me doing a bit of research between the physicalities of men and women lately..

    also, boobies.
    I was waiting for you to Heinz it up

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,364
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    it'd be a great story, no doubt. even if it was just in summer league. it just isn't realistic.

    without getting overly sexist as i normally would.. the physical differences between men and women are too vast to allow for fair competition despite her skill level... we're talking the effects of testosterone vs estrogen.. bone density.. physical builds.. muscle structure

    there's an interesting argument going on in MMA right now about Fallon Fox, a transgendered fighter (man to woman) who fights chicks that has had me doing a bit of research between the physicalities of men and women lately..

    also, boobies.
    Glad you wrote something meaningful (Heinzful). Was starting to lose hope, but hopefully you corrected yourself in the end.
    Last edited by RandomGuy; Thu Apr 4th, 2013 at 05:33 AM.
    #FREE

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,800
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Totally agree, but I'm solely speaking of being able to compete in Summer League. Haha
    I don't think she'd get embarrassed in Summer League.

    But in terms of where/if she'd fit in an actual NBA game, it's tough to say. But if any female player could do it, it'd be her.
    If any female player could ever succeed in the NBA, it'll never be a center or PF. It'll most likely be a guard since good 3-point shooters are always gonna have a career in the NBA.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    The amount of buzz that Griner would bring to the Summer League would be almost unmatched. And if she could move her game to more of a SF, I don't see size being a factor. She's 6'8", 200lbs.
    She's never had to fight for position against Reggie Evans, if you know what I mean....

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i assume that Mark Cuban was sitting at home... relaxing on the sofa... legs up... listening to the birds chirp outside his window...

    and realized he wasn't getting any attention for 5 minutes

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    i assume that Mark Cuban was sitting at home... relaxing on the sofa... legs up... listening to the birds chirp outside his window...

    and realized he wasn't getting any attention for 5 minutes
    This is probably about as realistic as this thread has gotten

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,558
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He's already won his championship...this is solely for financial purposes. They'd sell out every home game. You know how many people (including me) would want to see her play in an NBA game?
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would draft Skylar Diggins ahead of Griner because she's nicer to look at.


  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    2,959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I haven't seen her play. But if she can play why not?
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    1,410
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A couple of things:

    First, there are too many physical freaks in the NBA and if a woman were to succeed in the NBA the best bet would be as a shooter (if Steve Novak can be in the NBA, who cannot do very much well aside from shoot, than a woman surely can), so it is just unbelievably unrealistic to say Griner has a shot. She does not. And that is not a bad thing.

    What would this do to the WNBA? What if the best female players in the world did not play in the WNBA? It would kill it.

    Battier said that "in our lifetime there will be a female NBA player" (I'm paraphrasing) and that is something slightly more realistic, but it will not be Griner, nor should it be, for the sake of the WNBA.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's good publicity in the tradition of Bill Veeck, the baseball owner that signed a midget bearing the uniform number "⅛" to pinch hit for the St. Louis Browns.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    She is 6'8 weighs 208 pounds is far too slow to play SF far too weak to defend PFs, has no above average NBA skill, she would get killed be a huge liability and players would go at her to abuse the mismatch

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,558
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Vykis wrote: View Post
    She is 6'8 weighs 208 pounds is far too slow to play SF far too weak to defend PFs, has no above average NBA skill, she would get killed be a huge liability and players would go at her to abuse the mismatch
    I'll repeat myself...this has nothing to do with how skilled she is or what she can bring to the team. Think about how many more people would go to Mavs games if she was on the team!
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •