Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cuban says he would draft Brittney Griner. Would you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuban says he would draft Brittney Griner. Would you?

Cuban told reporters before Tuesday night's game between the Mavericks and the Lakers that if Griner is the best player available, "I will take her."

The 6-foot-8 Griner finished her college career as the NCAA leader in blocked shots and the second-leading scorer in women's college basketball history.

Cuban says he has already thought about it and "Right now, I'd lean towards yes, just to see if she can do it. You never know unless you give somebody a chance."

Cuban said Griner would have to make the team and he isn't "opposed to giving her the opportunity."

He adds: "That'd sell out a few games."

Griner responded with a tweet: "I would hold my own! Lets do it"

Source
    Interesting. Well he isn't lying .. it certainly would sell out some games. I'd be curious to see how she did ... she can definitely play ball.

I think she could be MAX a role player in the NBA. Never a starter.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

It's not going to happen. She would be an undersized big who is used to have a size advantage (and skill for that matter) against any opponent she goes up against. Cuban is just showing his appreciation and being Cuban.

Comment

Mark Cuban was talking about NBA prospects and a young Asian guard in particular. He gave his stock answer. “If he’s good, we’re looking at him,” Cuban said. “I don’t care if the guy is from Upper Slobovia. If he can play, we’ll take them. If Brittney Griner can play, we’ll take her with our second-round pick. I don’t care.” And with that, the can of worms officially got ripped open. Cuban said he’s serious about the possibility of bringing in Baylor’s 6-8 star now that her college eligibility is done.

“If she’s the best on the board, we’ll take her,” Cuban said. “If we have the 60th pick and she’s on the board, we still might take her.” [...] “I’ve thought about it already,” he said. “Would I do it? And right now, I’d lean toward yes, just to see if she can do it. You never know until you give someone a chance. And it’s not like the likelihood of any late-50s draft pick has a good chance of making it. If we had tryouts, I would have no problem inviting her to work out and see how she did. No problem whatsoever.”
        The amount of buzz that Griner would bring to the Summer League would be almost unmatched. And if she could move her game to more of a SF, I don't see size being a factor. She's 6'8", 200lbs.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          The amount of buzz that Griner would bring to the Summer League would be almost unmatched. And if she could move her game to more of a SF, I don't see size being a factor. She's 6'8", 200lbs.
          Yes, but I think she's very far from having the type of game or speed for sf; that's just not an option from what I've seen (that is limited to highlights though).

Comment

i assume that Mark Cuban was sitting at home... relaxing on the sofa... legs up... listening to the birds chirp outside his window...

and realized he wasn't getting any attention for 5 minutes

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
              i assume that Mark Cuban was sitting at home... relaxing on the sofa... legs up... listening to the birds chirp outside his window...

and realized he wasn't getting any attention for 5 minutes
              This is probably about as realistic as this thread has gotten

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                Yes, but I think she's very far from having the type of game or speed for sf; that's just not an option from what I've seen (that is limited to highlights though).
                Totally agree, but I'm solely speaking of being able to compete in Summer League. Haha
                I don't think she'd get embarrassed in Summer League.

But in terms of where/if she'd fit in an actual NBA game, it's tough to say. But if any female player could do it, it'd be her.

Comment

Totally agree, but I'm solely speaking of being able to compete in Summer League. Haha
                  I don't think she'd get embarrassed in Summer League.

But in terms of where/if she'd fit in an actual NBA game, it's tough to say. But if any female player could do it, it'd be her.
                  it'd be a great story, no doubt. even if it was just in summer league. it just isn't realistic.

without getting overly sexist as i normally would.. the physical differences between men and women are too vast to allow for fair competition despite her skill level... we're talking the effects of testosterone vs estrogen.. bone density.. physical builds.. muscle structure

there's an interesting argument going on in MMA right now about Fallon Fox, a transgendered fighter (man to woman) who fights chicks that has had me doing a bit of research between the physicalities of men and women lately..

also, boobies.

Comment

She's never had to fight for position against Reggie Evans, if you know what I mean....

Comment

it'd be a great story, no doubt. even if it was just in summer league. it just isn't realistic.

without getting overly sexist as i normally would.. the physical differences between men and women are too vast to allow for fair competition despite her skill level... we're talking the effects of testosterone vs estrogen.. bone density.. physical builds.. muscle structure

there's an interesting argument going on in MMA right now about Fallon Fox, a transgendered fighter (man to woman) who fights chicks that has had me doing a bit of research between the physicalities of men and women lately..

also, boobies.
                      I was waiting for you to Heinz it up

Comment

also, boobies.
                        Glad you wrote something meaningful (Heinzful). Was starting to lose hope, but hopefully you corrected yourself in the end.
                        Last edited by RandomGuy; Thu Apr 4, 2013, 05:33 AM.
                        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

He's already won his championship...this is solely for financial purposes. They'd sell out every home game. You know how many people (including me) would want to see her play in an NBA game?
                          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

I would draft Skylar Diggins ahead of Griner because she's nicer to look at.

Comment

I haven't seen her play. But if she can play why not?
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                              X