Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Casey: JV would be coming out of games if Raps were in Playoff Race

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post

Next year for BC and DC its playoffs or bust. He raises some good points in this video. Unfair to fire Casey now, he deserves this 3rd year.
    I think BC should be fired, but DC not. He had some (3) rookies this season, trades , bad starts, injuries and its too much to handle, its just messed up whole season. Next season if he can't make an improvement ( playoffs ) he should be fired too. What about BC... He already had a chance. Rudy Gay trade doesn't save his job at all.

EDIT: One more thing. We've been unlucky this season, we all remember season start, close games and missed foul calls.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

ITs really been a weird season. Above all its on BC to move Bargnani because the plan A of building around him crashed and burned. He has to listen to what his coach said last season I need grinders BC gets him Dom McGuire.....Rudy Gay signing generated exciement and a positive outlook so BC is probably safe till next summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Just checking game logs from playoffs and I noticed Harrison Barnes.

Guy is 20 years old and averaging 35 minutes per game in the first round of the playoffs.

Then I think about Casey and this thread.

Even if the Raptors were competing for the playoffs, not playing your most talented and promising players because they are young and trying to win is beyond stupid.

I don't think there is any debate with JV.

Make the argument against TR in favour of AA all you want but their statistics are similar and AA is 9 years older.

Casey needs to go with BryCo. Not because he is a bad guy but because this team is still not ready to compete for anything more than .500 and for all the talk about internal/organic growth, Casey is not the guy to lead that MO because he thinks you need vets to win...... this as GSW have 4 guys (3 rooks, 1 2nd year) leading a playoff charge.

Good grief.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's hope whoever the new GM is really emphasizes that this team will only go as far as Jonas takes them.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post

Guy is 20 years old and averaging 35 minutes per game in the first round of the playoffs.

Even if the Raptors were competing for the playoffs, not playing your most talented and promising players because they are young and trying to win is beyond stupid.

Make the argument against TR in favour of AA all you want but their statistics are similar and AA is 9 years older.

Casey needs to go with BryCo. Not because he is a bad guy but because this team is still not ready to compete for anything more than .500 and for all the talk about internal/organic growth, Casey is not the guy to lead that MO because he thinks you need vets to win...... this as GSW have 4 guys (3 rooks, 1 2nd year) leading a playoff charge.

Good grief.
    Casey really frustrates me too, but the reality is that playing a rookie C is much more influential on the team D than a rookie wing. Barnes fits with the Warriors basic gestalt of scoring wing players, and not that much emphasis on D. They have allowed 101, 108 and 117 points in their three playoff wins. When they win they just out-score teams (mostly from the perimeter), and much of that is because Steph Curry takes so much attention from the other team that other wing players get good looks. Having said that, I would love to have Barnes on the Raptors. He is exactly what they need, and probably would have prevented them from feeling the need to trade for Gay.

I think JV is fantastic, but it's hard to play winning D in the NBA with a rookie C starting and playing a lot of minutes.
    Last edited by Bouncepass; Wed May 1st, 2013 at 09:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good grief.
    to be fair about the Barnes situation.

Harrison Barnes has rose to the occasion no doubt, but Warriors lost Lee and he is filling his minutes Barnes averaged 25 minutes this season, around the same as Ross 18 mpg. I wonder what could of happened if Raps drafted Barnes? I like Ross and all but cant help but feel Barnes was supposed to be a Rap...

Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Harrison Barnes has rose to the occasion no doubt, but Warriors lost Lee and he is filling his minutes Barnes averaged 25 minutes this season, around the same as Ross 18 mpg. I wonder what could of happened if Raps drafted Barnes? I like Ross and all but cant help but feel Barnes was supposed to be a Rap...
    This is the same as to think what would've been if Raps drafted Davis, Beal or Lillard. It was out of Raps control. You shouldn't worry about something you couldn't have done anything about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
    This is the same as to think what would've been if Raps drafted Davis, Beal or Lillard. It was out of Raps control. You shouldn't worry about something you couldn't have done anything about.
    It could have been in the Raps' control, if not for all those late season character building wins, which instilled such a winning culture in the Raptors organization! Nothing like team character building wins when your future franchise-cornerstone C is playing in Europe...

9. Like isaacthompson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It just really sucks because Ross is a really good shooter, but man he is shaky when out on the court Barnes just looks at home even when he plays awful... Ross has A LOT of talent it isnt just embellishing him either Ross is quite the specimen. Barnes has the mindset of an NBA player, Ross right now doesn't.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    It could have been in the Raps' control, if not for all those late season character building wins, which instilled such a winning culture in the Raptors organization! Nothing like team character building wins when your future franchise-cornerstone C is playing in Europe...
    And when a little more than a year later there are only about two players left who can reminisce about those great days.

12. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Why lose just a few games then? They could've lost all 82 of them on purpose. Not that this organization has any respect left to lose anyway. Then Raps would've really had a top pick.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
    Why lose just a few games then? They could've lost all 82 of them on purpose. Not that this organization has any respect left to lose anyway. Then Raps would've really had a top pick.
    There are other ways. Playing Anderson, James Johnson (who you subsequently trade), Ben Uzoh, Gary Forbes (and Kleiza) lots of minutes doesn't do much towards the future. There are other, younger, players to bring in and give a look to see if they can be part of the organization going forward. A good example is Patrick Beverley in Houston. Ben Uzoh is possibly the only one that somewhat qualifies for this. All the others are devoid of upside.

Post Thanks / Like

It just really sucks because Ross is a really good shooter, but man he is shaky when out on the court Barnes just looks at home even when he plays awful... Ross has A LOT of talent it isnt just embellishing him either Ross is quite the specimen. Barnes has the mindset of an NBA player, Ross right now doesn't.
    Barnes has been given every opportunity to grow and develop. When he struggled he was not shown the bench unlike Ross.

**The only exception I can give to Casey in this case is if Ross was/is a total douche with a poor work ethic and attitude... but I have not heard a single rumble to validate this and therefore think Casey f'ed up with Ross this season. I don't think anyone can say the kid didn't show promise when given consistent minutes.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This right here. The situations aren't that comparable. They are playing Barnes heavy minutes out of necessity, not for development purposes. Thankfully for them, Barnes is rising to the occassion, I just don't think Barnes minutes is indicative of a different coaching style than Casey's, but indicative of the team needs due to injuries.

Post Thanks / Like

Barnes has been given every opportunity to grow and develop. When he struggled he was not shown the bench unlike Ross.

**The only exception I can give to Casey in this case is if Ross was/is a total douche with a poor work ethic and attitude... but I have not heard a single rumble to validate this and therefore think Casey f'ed up with Ross this season. I don't think anyone can say the kid didn't show promise when given consistent minutes.
    Ross plays behind DD and Gay, arguably our best 2 players. He was brought in for bench depth with an eye to being a future starter. That's why his situation is so different. Barnes was brought in to start right away for that GS squad, and he started 81 games. He didn't have talent like DD and Gay to play behind. If Ross was bigger and could consistently man the SF position, I think he would have gotten a lot more minutes earlier in the season before the Gay trade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    Ross plays behind DD and Gay, arguably our best 2 players. He was brought in for bench depth with an eye to being a future starter. That's why his situation is so different. Barnes was brought in to start right away for that GS squad, and he started 81 games. He didn't have talent like DD and Gay to play behind. If Ross was bigger and could consistently man the SF position, I think he would have gotten a lot more minutes earlier in the season before the Gay trade.
    I have no issue with him behind dd or gay.

It is the 23 mins and behind AA in peckng order I have an issue with.i

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    You're right in the sense that Barnes has no one else to compete with. Heck, the only other SF's on that Warriors roster is another rookie in Draymond Green, and a washed up veteran in Richard Jefferson.

I do, however, believe that Barnes is still a much better player than Ross is. He's really come on for them so far in the playoffs (the biggest stage in the NBA), despite being a rookie. Not to mention he is a better dunker, which was one of the only positive things to come out of Terrence's season.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    You're right in the sense that Barnes has no one else to compete with. Heck, the only other SF's on that Warriors roster is another rookie in Draymond Green, and a washed up veteran in Richard Jefferson.

I do, however, believe that Barnes is still a much better player than Ross is. He's really come on for them so far in the playoffs (the biggest stage in the NBA), despite being a rookie. Not to mention he is a better dunker, which was one of the only positive things to come out of Terrence's season.
    Full agreement that Barnes is better than Ross. Of course we all knew that going into the draft, hence why it was such a heart breaker when Barnes slipped and we still missed him by one pick. If we had gotten Barnes, I think he would have started from day 1 in Toronto just like in GS, and we wouldn't be talking about Casey not playing the rookies enough. Barnes is a different level of talent than Ross, and it might be some peoples homerism that makes them think Ross should be playing as much as Barnes did.

Post Thanks / Like

If we got Barnes I hope people would have been ready for a lot of blown games, 2 rookies up front with pylon Barnani omg would have been a defensive nightmare! Yes Barnes is given the starting spot nobody is there to compete with him, when compared though.

Barnes MPG 25.4 FG% 0.439 3P% 0.359 FT% 0.758 RPG 4.1 APG 1.2 TOs 2.2 PPG 9.2

Ross: MPG 17.0 FG% 0.407 3P% 0.332 FT% 0.714 RPG 2.0 APG 0.7 TOs 0.7 PPG 6.4

Pretty similar in 8 less minutes of action, Need I bring up Ross is playing with an inferior PG in Lucas and black hole which is Anderson?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information