Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casey: JV would be coming out of games if Raps were in Playoff Race

http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/originals/index.html

So, go watch the morning scrum with Casey. Skip ahead to 3:00 minute mark for the good stuff.

Among the gems:

- JV wouldn't be playing as much if they were playing for the playoffs. (More Aaron Gray?)
    - Throws JV and Ross under the bus as a reason for losing. (Their fault Gay and Derozan can't shoot)

I don't have as big a problem with Casey as many on the boards but this is just laughable. JV has been one of the few bright spots on the team and he's the issue? Terrence Ross' playing time is hurting the team? Dude barely plays. GTFO with this garbage.

Goodbye Dwane.

I think he sees writing on the wall.

He just did what Colangelo did vs the Clippers in tv interview.

Comment

Yes, JV needs to do some better work in defense , but offensive , not even single on ( maybe Amir ) shot better like JV. And also, why Casey should talk like that if he knows he's future star of the team? Probably they don't want him to re-sign with Raps in the future yr right.

Comment

Listening to the whole interview Casey is borderling disgusting.

Comment

Valanciunas is averaging 13.6 points, while
          shooting .664 (71-for-107) from the field over the last 13 games (Mar. 6-Apr. 1). He has
          also grabbed 6+ rebounds in each of his last 12 games (Mar. 8-Apr. 1). Valanciunas is
          one of two rookies in the NBA currently averaging 8+ points and 6+ rebounds, while
          shooting 50 per cent from the field this season.

Can't say this is bad. Who knows where he would be in Rookie Ladder if he would play whole season big minutes ( and wouldn't injured.. ) If you need develop player like JV, you HAVE TO play him when there is some pressure. Really upset about this DC press conf...

Comment

He's on his way back to Rick Carlisle's bench in Dallas.
            “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

I thought I would give Casey a benefit of a doubt this season with all the drama surrounding Bargs, Davis and Jose being traded for Gay, the fact we had to develop 2 rookies (or 3...), some of the injuries etc., etc. ... but that's enough for me. I think he needs to get lost. I thought it would be a good idea bringing in an assistant coach that is good on offense and that it would make up for Casey's deficiencies on that end, but I can now see beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Casey is just plain too stupid for a job as the head coach of an NBA team.

He says, that JV would probably play less minutes, if we were still in the race for the playoffs, because JV sometimes commits mistakes on D? So Casey, let me ask you... was Bargs or Grey better on D, when we were still in the race? How do you explain the messed up rotations, playing the entire bench for full quarters in close games, playing scrubs over starters for extended minutes while blowing leads and not calling timeouts or bringing back in the starters on time? All of this was happening when we still were in the race early in the season, middle of the season and right before we lost all hopes of making the playoffs!

I doubt Casey will change, EVER. He will keep on working with questionable rotations, badly timed timeouts, he'll never have any system for a solid offense, he'll never be a able to draw up one single offensive play for out-of-a-timeout situation and he simply will never be head coach material. He's probably best suited at being a defensive assistant coach for a solid team. He has to go, since he wouldn't agree to be downgraded and stay here as an assistant.

Comment

..... You guys realize lots of coaches in general dont play rookies right? Jerry Sloan, Doc Rivers, you name it, rookies arent respected that much, coaches always always always go with the vets its nothing new cause ball IQ is invaluable.

Its great to love the rookies but honestly dont turn a blind eye to the bad they do night in night out, its not like he was ignorant to say "I wouldnt play them at all" In a playoff race JV would still start and log his minutes Ross would still come off the bench and be given a chance, veterans always get the nod to get the job done its just how things are.

Comment

http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/201...3CASEY-2433466

direct link

OP is being a bit sensationalist. casey just saying how jv+ross being rookies are making mistakes in their play. which is true. though its a chicken an egg situation. if u dont play them, theyll never learn from their mistakes and they wont get better.

still, its dumb of him to say he would take them out. how far does casey think raps would get in playoffs vs heat (read, vs anyone) if he didnt play jv? lol

Comment

Even if it was true, whining to the media about how your rookies are losing you games is bad form. It's time for this guy to go.
                    Last edited by JimiCliff; Wed Apr 3, 2013, 06:46 PM.
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

What a bunch of horse shit....Man, I also was one to give Casey some benefit of the doubt, but this is atrocious.

Well, JV is the future of this team. The fact that Casey said such things is despicable. I'll take the Detroit games as examples, because Amir struggles a bit with the Pistons defensively since Monroe and Drummond are both big. JV was arguably the best big man on the court out of all 4 guys in both games, including defensively. So is he saying if we were in a playoff race he would've sat JV in those games? You know, like he sat him out against Dwight Howard despite playing him better than anyone on the team in LA. Or the way he thought a good defensive frontcourt was Bargs and Fields....multiple times...

Fuck Casey. I've had enough. I'm going back to the idea of a team of monkeys making decisions instead of him...They could throw darts at a clipboard? Roll dice with playcalls on them? I don't care....

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                        ..... You guys realize lots of coaches in general dont play rookies right? Jerry Sloan, Doc Rivers, you name it, rookies arent respected that much, coaches always always always go with the vets its nothing new cause ball IQ is invaluable.
                        you really comparing toronto to the rest of the league?

Comment

What pisses me off more than anything about Casey (besides his awful rotations, timeouts, no offensive idea) is that with all the awful coaching decisions he has made over the entire season, I've never seen him once (in the press conference after the game) admit, that he made bad rotations, bad decisions and that it cost the game. He always deflected it, saying something like - they went small..., I thought I had to go with that group at that time..., in the end we just fell short..., we're still a young team..., it's a learning process..., you have to give credit to "X team", they kicked our behinds........ He never ever told once, "listen, I made some bad decisions that cost us the game..., I messed up..., I screwed up..., I didn't have the answer..., I was outcoached... . And now he basically blames the rookies for the team's struggles this year. Somebody fire this guy!

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post

Its great to love the rookies but honestly dont turn a blind eye to the bad they do night in night out, its not like he was ignorant to say "I wouldnt play them at all" In a playoff race JV would still start and log his minutes Ross would still come off the bench and be given a chance, veterans always get the nod to get the job done its just how things are.
                            yeah, Jerry Sloan taught guys the right way. He didn't trow guys like Williams or Millsap out on the floor to learn from their mistakes. He benched them for a season or two to make sure they learned....oh wait....
                            And Doc, clearly had to sit Rajon Rondo a lot to teach him a thing or two because he lacked skills and was a bit hotheaded...oh wait....

Good coaches use talent. JV is the most talented player on the team(I said arguably before, but it really isn't), even if he's 2-3 seasons away (just like any rookie) from hitting his stride. A good coach would maximize such an asset....I can't under any circumstance claim that Casey has appeared to do that.
                            Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Apr 3, 2013, 06:49 PM.

Comment

phez wrote: View Post
                              http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/201...3CASEY-2433466

direct link

OP is being a bit sensationalist. casey just saying how jv+ross being rookies are making mistakes in their play. which is true. though its a chicken an egg situation. if u dont play them, theyll never learn from their mistakes and they wont get better.

still, its dumb of him to say he would take them out. how far does casey think raps would get in playoffs vs heat (read, vs anyone) if he didnt play jv? lol
                              He's going further here than just saying 'rookies make mistakes'. Of course rookies make mistakes. Of course JV makes mistakes. But he specifically hung the Detroit loss on Ross and JV and is expressly throwing his rooks under the bus. I'm sorry but that's garbage. JV and Ross didn't cost them that Detroit game. And they haven't cost them the other 46 losses either.

For him to imply that they are sacrificing wins by playing JV is both nonsense and poor form.

Comment

Working...
                              X