Interesting Raptor team stats...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Raptor team stats...

I meant to post this awhile ago but had some trepidation i guess as I am not sure how it would get received here but it sums up a lot of the issues the raptors have faced.

Before I post the stats, I want to say first and foremost, i know they are just stats. Sometimes just gaudy numbers that can be misinterpreted incorrectly. I also am aware the Raptors as a team are aware of these stats and are trying to most likely to improve on them as it is easier said than done to overcome weaknesses.

Opponents Free Throw rate: 33.7 (3% higher than the next worse team)
    League average: 27.1

Basically the Raptors give up one free throw attempt for every 3 field goal attempts. very poor stat but not shocking if you have watched the Raps this season (or the past 5), they were dead last in this category last year. I know cutting back on fouling the opposition in certain situations is difficult but it must be learned. Most fans may use this as fuel to fire the fact that the Raps get called on fouls unfavourably, but I don't think that is the case from games I have watched

% of field goal attempts at the rim: 27.7%
    League Average: 31.0

Again, watching the raps this season, not surprising. But it is mind boggling, raptors have quite a few athletic players who are great above the rim yet settle for jumpers. Hopefully next year JV gets more touches so we get more high percentage shots. Raps actually have a formidable field goal % at the rim, 66.4%, good for top 10 in the league.

% of field goal attempts from 3-point range: 25.6%
    League Average: 24.3

I only bring this stat up because the raptors are not a good 3-point team, and a quick stat lookup will display that they shoot 34% from downtown(same exact percentage as last year ironically), 26th best in the league(worse than the memphis grizzlies, built around post players). I know raptors players' confidence tells them they can shoot better than this, and maybe this season has been off for them so they ignore the stats, but it doesn't change the facts. Raps 3-point shooting this year has been god awful and possibly their shot selection too.

Anyways they are just stats, interpret them how you will. nonetheless they are intriguing. On a positive note the Raptors have cut down immensely on turnovers compared to last year, but that may be as a result of shooting more outside jumpers.

Just goes to show what so many have been complaining about this year - the Raps have become an inefficient jump shooting team on offense, while regressing defensively (I consider high foul rate to be part of poor defense overall).

It would be interesting to do a similar analysis of rebounding, to see where the Raps rank in terms of gaining extra possessions offensively and giving up 2nd chance points defensively (another telling stat, along with the foul rate).

I agree that this all doesn't come as much of a surprise, since it all seems to pass the eye-test this season.

Comment

And people wonder why we get so many fouls called against us. If you play bad defense, you get behind the play and are forced to foul. I also agree with the fact that we are an athletic team but are settling for jumpshots, but it's hard to argue with why they're doing this when you see Supreme Athlete DeMar going to the rim and doing finger rolls.
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

It would be interesting to do a similar analysis of rebounding, to see where the Raps rank in terms of gaining extra possessions offensively and giving up 2nd chance points defensively (another telling stat, along with the foul rate).
        I could do that tomorrow. I once glanced over rebounding and Raptors were not as bad as i thought they were. that being said i can't seem to find a site that provides 2nd chance points, and I would imagine the Raps are in the bottom tier of that department.

Comment

Hey what do you think about this article ? It basically suggests that defensively the starting lineup is top tier, but the bench is god awful. Not exactly high-brow analytics. I wonder what impact pace would have to these numbers?

Comment

Nice post Jason.

I didn't realize we gave up so many free throws to our opponents, but it makes sense considering Amir and JV both foul at such a high clip and our perimeter players are weak defenders as well.

The field goal attemts at the rim stat is pretty obvious considering the lack of a low post scorer. Hopefully JV puts in some work during the off season and we start running some plays for him down there. Or we somehow trade for a player that can provide scoring in the post.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
              Hey what do you think about this article ? It basically suggests that defensively the starting lineup is top tier, but the bench is god awful. Not exactly high-brow analytics. I wonder what impact pace would have to these numbers?
              Interesting article....I didn't know the discrepancy was that wide between the Raps starters and bench. Crazy.

And for whoever asked...Raps are 20th in opponents offensive rebounding as Raps opponents grab 26.89 of the boards on the raptors net. But that stat doesn't mention how many of those are basically gimme putbacks for the other team,lol.

It's fun to analyze stats yet so depressing at the same time.Yikes.

Comment

Working...
              X