Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

Thread: Who says Canadian basketball players want to play for the Raptors?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Who says Canadian basketball players want to play for the Raptors?

    Hey Guys,
    Those of you who are thinking we may land Andrew Wiggins in next year's draft (Crazy, I know ...):
    Who says he'd want to play for the Raptors?? I mean who was the last Canadian athlete who wanted to play for a Canadian team (and forego money, weather, family and other factors in favor of playing for a Canadian team)??

    - Did Steve Nash call BC to offer his services (even on the twilight of his career?)??
    - Did Jamaal Magloire want to come to T.O. (even when he was a shadow of JM we got to see a few years back)?? He only showed up when the soup was being served ...
    - Tristan, Carl , ....

    Should I keep listing the names or do I have you thinking already that perhaps these athletes have plans of their own and if the Raptors happen to be in line with those plans, then MAYBE.
    But for us Raptors fans who honestly deserve better (specially when marketed as 'Canada's team'!!), should we even bother thinking about Andrew Wiggins at this point??
    I for one am fed up with being sold 'hope' ... until BC and company are here, mediocrity is sold to us at the price of luxury tax.

    I say NO , we won't get Andrew Wiggins and we should not even go there ... what do you think?

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    1/15 chance on geting him and 14/15 on not geting him. People want to have hope, reason to believe, why to take it away from these fans, it's the least you can give them. Plus, logical error in your statement, it's not up to Wiggins, Tristan, if they want to play here or not, it's up to ping pong balls.
    Saying NO is wrong because as I mentioned, there is theoretical chance, pretty pointless topic :/
    #FREE

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well, if anything, the history of this team has shown that people like Alonzo Morning and some draft prospects have refused to show up for work. In other words, if AW does not come for any of the pre-draft work-outs, what does that say??
    Could you have 'forced' LJ to wear the dino's purple? Doubt that ...

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,661
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan1995 wrote: View Post
    Well, if anything, the history of this team has shown that people like Alonzo Morning and some draft prospects have refused to show up for work. In other words, if AW does not come for any of the pre-draft work-outs, what does that say??
    Could you have 'forced' LJ to wear the dino's purple? Doubt that ...
    What? I don't think this is true. As for Mourning, if I busted my ass to come back from a kidney disease and transplant, signed with a contender and then got traded away as filler in a trade, I wouldn't be too happy. I don't think it really had much to do with it being Toronto, as much as Toronto was going in the opposite direction of where a guy, who literally has to take his career year-to-year because of medical issues, wants to go.

    The only stupid guys who refused to report other than that.....was just Kenny Anderson (and again, in a trade, not the draft)? Well, his career didn't really prosper. In fact, Steve Francis not going to Vancouver was by far the biggest deal draft-wise, and Steve Francis was a total moron that no team wanted to keep in the long run and eventually washed out of the league...despite being arguably the most talented "combo" guard of the last 3 decades.

    Guys who refuse to report usually either have a pretty sound reason that has little to do with geography, or they're total idiots who will probably struggle to be keepers no matter where they go.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Apr 5th, 2013 at 01:34 PM.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,661
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan1995 wrote: View Post
    Well, if anything, the history of this team has shown that people like Alonzo Morning and some draft prospects have refused to show up for work. In other words, if AW does not come for any of the pre-draft work-outs, what does that say??
    Could you have 'forced' LJ to wear the dino's purple? Doubt that ...
    And seriously, this is not a good argument. He went to Cleveland!!!! Fucking worst city in the world, Cleveland?!?! I know it's HIS hometown, so it clearly didn't bug him, but I don't think he necessarily wanted to go there. I don't mean to offend anyone from Cleveland, but I'm sure I probably am. It's probably in the bottom 10, if not 5, in terms of NBA locations. It's definitely not the place you want to be when you're stinkin rich and in your 20s. It's a boring city with bad weather, bad shopping and is culturally poor.

    I'm sure Lebron would've gone anywhere as a rookie, because he would make any team instantly legitimate and popular. I don't think you realize that in that draft year, we still had Vince coming back. Could you freakin imagine how happy Lebron and Vince would've been to play together at that time, while Vince was still in his prime? That would've obviously been the best wing tandem of all-time, at least for viewing pleasure.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yes, but are you suggesting that if the Raptors had the first pick , he would have shown up for pre-draft workout? I seriously doubt that! That's another way of saying, there is no chance in hell I'd play for you!
    That's what I mean! I don't believe for a second that AW would pick Toronto as the number 1 destination!
    And you mentioned VC = we still boo VC to this day!! Why?? Because he was mentally not in it! He stayed here to get his top dollars!!
    Honestly, it bothers me that we have a top quality destination by all accounts and the only people who want to be here are either wash-outs or over-paid players who have nowhere else to go and are instantly promoted to 'elite' players because of BC and company ..

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,661
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan1995 wrote: View Post
    Yes, but are you suggesting that if the Raptors had the first pick , he would have shown up for pre-draft workout? I seriously doubt that! That's another way of saying, there is no chance in hell I'd play for you!
    That's what I mean! I don't believe for a second that AW would pick Toronto as the number 1 destination!
    And you mentioned VC = we still boo VC to this day!! Why?? Because he was mentally not in it! He stayed here to get his top dollars!!
    Honestly, it bothers me that we have a top quality destination by all accounts and the only people who want to be here are either wash-outs or over-paid players who have nowhere else to go and are instantly promoted to 'elite' players because of BC and company ..
    You ask for proof, but you're making a totally baseless assumption....

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,316
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan1995 wrote: View Post
    Yes, but are you suggesting that if the Raptors had the first pick , he would have shown up for pre-draft workout? I seriously doubt that! That's another way of saying, there is no chance in hell I'd play for you!
    That's what I mean! I don't believe for a second that AW would pick Toronto as the number 1 destination!
    And you mentioned VC = we still boo VC to this day!! Why?? Because he was mentally not in it! He stayed here to get his top dollars!!
    Honestly, it bothers me that we have a top quality destination by all accounts and the only people who want to be here are either wash-outs or over-paid players who have nowhere else to go and are instantly promoted to 'elite' players because of BC and company ..
    So this thread isn't just about Canadians? It's about the fact that TO isn't a top destination for any pro ball players. Top destinations are as rare as superstars, there are only a handful of each in the NBA. New York, LA, Chicago, Brooklyn, Miami, and Boston all trump TO. Even GS, Sac, Orl, and PHX might be more preferred due to the weather. Get over it dude, most teams in the league have to deal with the same issue.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think most athletes, regardless of the country or sport, would love to realize their childhood dream of playing for the team they grew up rooting for. The difference between a kid like Wiggins and those older players, is that Wiggins grew up as a Raptors fan, whereas the Raptors didn't even exist when guys like Nash and Magloire were first getting into basketball, both as a fan and as a player.

    How many Canadian kids under 20-25 years old have started playing basketball because of the Raptors? How many young Canadian ballers only picked up a basketball because they wanted to be Mighty Mouse taking down Jordan's Bulls, or Vinsanity winning the dunk contest, or CB4 leading the team back to the playoffs?

    Reality is a lot different for the 25-and-under generation of Canadian kids, with the Raptors providing a 'hometown' team to cheer for and players to aspire to become. Personally, I could care less about nationality, I just want to build the best possible Raptors team, so that I can witness a Raptors championship in my lifetime!

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    extremely poor thread, even for a highschool student.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Instead of calling this a poor thread, provide evidence to refute the claim.
    When did any of the 'names, (SN,AW,JM, TT, etc.) proclaimed any love for 'Canada's Team'?

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    497
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan1995 wrote: View Post
    Instead of calling this a poor thread, provide evidence to refute the claim.
    When did any of the 'names, (SN,AW,JM, TT, etc.) proclaimed any love for 'Canada's Team'?
    i.imgur.com/vMpmfH8l.jpg

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan1995 wrote: View Post
    Instead of calling this a poor thread, provide evidence to refute the claim.
    When did any of the 'names, (SN,AW,JM, TT, etc.) proclaimed any love for 'Canada's Team'?
    #FREE

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,554
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    Wow...him wearing a Raptors snapback REALLY shows he cares for the team. If I wear a Sonics snapback, does that mean I'm destined to play for them too?
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Wow...him wearing a Raptors snapback REALLY shows he cares for the team. If I wear a Sonics snapback, does that mean I'm destined to play for them too?
    Like your sarcasm but it's not as non meaningful as your are trying to portray. These small things matters.
    #FREE

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter RapthoseLeafs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Ontario
    Posts
    617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Wow...him wearing a Raptors snapback REALLY shows he cares for the team. If I wear a Sonics snapback, does that mean I'm destined to play for them too?
    If you wear a Sonics snapback, no one would care.
    If you can play like Wiggins, they would.

    .

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan1995 wrote: View Post
    Instead of calling this a poor thread, provide evidence to refute the claim.
    When did any of the 'names, (SN,AW,JM, TT, etc.) proclaimed any love for 'Canada's Team'?
    How about I breakdown his reasons for him! I think I actually lost some brain cells reading this thread and the OT's arguments! You call yourself RaptorFan1995? You clearly don't know much! Let me point out every single stupid thing that comes from this article:

    1. This whole topic has absolutely NOTHING to do with Canadian athletes whatsoever. This is the idea that Toronto is not a very attractive FA destination especially since we're not even a playoff team this year. This is already really obvious so thanks for posting an absolutely pointless thread.

    2. You say that Wiggins won't even report to the Raptors since we suck. Man you are severely misinformed. Your support for this stupid claim is that Alonzo Mourning didn't report to the Raptors when he arrived here. You clearly didn't do any research whatsoever! We got Alonzo Mourning through the lopsided Vince Carter trade. This is very different from Wiggins not reporting to the Raptors since HE WILL BE A DRAFTED TO THE RAPTORS NOT TRADED! The only draft players that don't report to the team that drafted them are mostly 2nd round international players who sign with euro teams rather than play in the NBA. Andrew Wiggins will report to any team that drafts him regardless of how bad they are.

    3. "Did Jamaal Magloire want to come to T.O. (even when he was a shadow of JM we got to see a few years back)?? He only showed up when the soup was being served..." He has even said himself that he is happy to be here and to be the first Canadian born player to play for the Raptors. He even accepted the job to be the Raptors' consultant and team ambassador.

    4. "Tristan?" There was no way he could have been with the Raptors consider the Cavs have drafted him first! One of the only situations where a player actually landed in team he wanted, on draft night, despite being drafted by another team was Kobe and look how badly Charlotte regretted that decision! As to whether he wants to be on Raptors team, it is still not proven!

    5. "When did any of the 'names, (SN,AW,JM, TT, etc.) proclaimed any love for 'Canada's Team'?" I'm pretty sure Vykis and RandomGuy have already removed all validity of your statement. That's a picture of Andrew Wiggins wearing a Raptors cap which proves that he is a fan of the Raptors and therefore "proclaimed his love" for the Raptors. No draft prospect will ever say that he would rather be drafted by one team over another cuz it looks negatively on their image. Imagine Tristan Thompson saying "I much rather be drafted by the Toronto Raptors, since that's my hometown, than being drafted by the Cavs." That's like saying the Cavs suck so I don't want to be drafted by them.

    6. "Why do we assume that AW would be a perfect match and that if we draft him, we are gonna be the next OKC??" NO ONE IS ASSUMING THAT WE WILL BE THE NEXT OKC IF WE DRAFT HIM! He will lead us in the right direction since he's a franchise player. He's a very talented player who has the potential to be a superstar in the future. This is what you look for in a draft prospect to become a high playoff team in the future.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    But the fact remains that they chose where to work and no one could change that (then and now).
    If Mourning had kidney issues, he could have come here and be on the injured list. I didn't see him (or Hakeem for that matter) play sick when they got their paycheques, did they?

    We did have 'morons' who at least showed up for work and then left (so that their kids can get an American education ...) .
    But I don't think we could have 'forced' LJ to put on a Raptors jersey.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,661
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan1995 wrote: View Post
    But the fact remains that they chose where to work and no one could change that (then and now).
    If Mourning had kidney issues, he could have come here and be on the injured list. I didn't see him (or Hakeem for that matter) play sick when they got their paycheques, did they?

    We did have 'morons' who at least showed up for work and then left (so that their kids can get an American education ...) .
    But I don't think we could have 'forced' LJ to put on a Raptors jersey.
    You said draft prospects though. Can you name me one draft prospect who did not report to Toronto because he didn't want to play there?

    As for Mourning, you know, the team could've not acquired a player who didn't want to play in Toronto. Again, it had nothing to do with the city. The team was going to be shite and he wanted a chance to win, while he was, you know, alive. Worst GM ever, Rob Babcock, I'm sure thought he could force Mourning to play. You can't force anyone. A lot goes on that doesn't get out in the papers. Often, teams will make contact with a player, either by the team they're dealing with asking, or going through the agent, to figure out if they are ok with a trade. I don't remember, but I have the impression that everyone knew Mourning was not going to come to Toronto before the trade happened, but Babcock pulled the trigger anyway.

    As for Hakeem...he retired, so I don't know wtf you are talking about. He played as much as he could. The team made a stupidly big investment in him, and he just didn't physically have it anymore. He appeared in playoffs games for the Raptors before hanging it up in the summer, so I dn't know what your problem is.

    And Davis left stupidly, but he also gave so much for the franchise, literally playing with one good arm to help them get into the playoffs, and then play through the playoffs that way. He left ugly, so what?...He said something stupid. Well he probably is stupid. This guy is a pro baller, there's a fair chance he's not that bright in all other areas of life.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Monkeys? I have seen monkeys play better basketball than RG or some other so called 'Excellent Players' .. :-)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •