Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who says Canadian basketball players want to play for the Raptors?

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFan1995 wrote: View Post
    Yes, but are you suggesting that if the Raptors had the first pick , he would have shown up for pre-draft workout? I seriously doubt that! That's another way of saying, there is no chance in hell I'd play for you!
    That's what I mean! I don't believe for a second that AW would pick Toronto as the number 1 destination!
    And you mentioned VC = we still boo VC to this day!! Why?? Because he was mentally not in it! He stayed here to get his top dollars!!
    Honestly, it bothers me that we have a top quality destination by all accounts and the only people who want to be here are either wash-outs or over-paid players who have nowhere else to go and are instantly promoted to 'elite' players because of BC and company ..
    You ask for proof, but you're making a totally baseless assumption....

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    Where is the button for dumbest thread ever? I can't find it.
    this thread is like watching excellent basketball players get convinced to play a game of basketball against monkeys, and there is no rim on the backboard that they're shooting at

no offense guys.. but i did compliment you by comparing you to excellent players

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

my point is simple, black and white (not 100 factors..) : why do we assume that AW would be a perfect match and that if we draft him, we are gonna be the next OKC??

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Monkeys? I have seen monkeys play better basketball than RG or some other so called 'Excellent Players' .. :-)

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still not quite clear what the argument is.

Would Canadian athletes want to play for the Raptors? Well yeah, but the Raptors need to start winning because winning trumps everything.

Would Wiggins want to play for Toronto? Well if he was drafted by them he would have to.

If Wiggins was drafted by Toronto will they become OKC overnight? Nothing in life is guaranteed but Wiggins looks like a sure thing (similar to how Lebron was a sure thing before he came into the NBA). All draft picks are crap shoots, but you weigh the risks and take the plunge. If it works out it could be great.

If Wiggins was a free agent and could choose his destination would he go to Toronto? Ask me again in 7 years.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but are you suggesting that if the Raptors had the first pick , he would have shown up for pre-draft workout? I seriously doubt that! That's another way of saying, there is no chance in hell I'd play for you!
    That's what I mean! I don't believe for a second that AW would pick Toronto as the number 1 destination!
    And you mentioned VC = we still boo VC to this day!! Why?? Because he was mentally not in it! He stayed here to get his top dollars!!
    Honestly, it bothers me that we have a top quality destination by all accounts and the only people who want to be here are either wash-outs or over-paid players who have nowhere else to go and are instantly promoted to 'elite' players because of BC and company ..
    So this thread isn't just about Canadians? It's about the fact that TO isn't a top destination for any pro ball players. Top destinations are as rare as superstars, there are only a handful of each in the NBA. New York, LA, Chicago, Brooklyn, Miami, and Boston all trump TO. Even GS, Sac, Orl, and PHX might be more preferred due to the weather. Get over it dude, most teams in the league have to deal with the same issue.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

my point is simple, black and white (not 100 factors..) : why do we assume that AW would be a perfect match and that if we draft him, we are gonna be the next OKC??
    please make the rest of your posts like this, you sound like a ranting schizophrenic talking nonsensical jibberish in the rest of your posts. No offense to schizophrenics.

It doesn't matter if andrew wiggins is a perfect match or not. Teams are willing to take the gamble that they can win it all with him because he is an efficient enough scorer (talented) to have the offense centred around him. The fact that you have forgotten that we would have to dismantle the whole team to even have a chance to get the first pick tells me you haven't thought it true, and just came here to whine because you percieve that basketball players don't want to play in canada, you didn't look at each scenario to see if we were in a position to obtain the canadian player (ie. tristan is on his rookie contract and was drafted before we even had a chance to, jonas valanciunas is a better prospect anyways), or if we were in a position where we even needed said canadian player.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Screw this, time to go read posts about how awesome JV is

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Monkeys? I have seen monkeys play better basketball than RG or some other so called 'Excellent Players' .. :-)
    they also throw feces at each other, and eat each others lice directly out of their hair

Post Thanks / Like

Again, has he ever stated that he would prefer to play for the raps?? Why do we think that just because he is Canadian, he would want to put T.O. on the map and be the first to do so?
    Also, about JM. When did JM say that ? When he was an all-star or after multiple surgeries that made him the player you saw on the court after?
    No disrespect to JM, but when he could have put us on the map, he signed for more money and when nobody wanted his services, he joined the team. What's the difference between him and JO and his short stay here?
    My reasoning is because Wiggins is a proud Toronto Raptors fan now and that most people would prefer to play for the team they personally cheer for. Nobody is making up or implying or assuming that Wiggins is a Raptors fan, it's a fact.

With regards to Magloire, now you're just contradicting yourself. The question was never about playing for the hometown team VS taking the best offer, your initial message was simply questioning whether or not they would want to play for the hometown team. Not only is money a factor, but the situation is too. Magloire made many public statements about being overjoyed about finally getting to be a Raptor. Timing and money aside, a Canadian kid being publically happy to play for the one Canadian team is answering your initial question, whether you want to admit it or not.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I'm still not quite clear what the argument is.

Would Canadian athletes want to play for the Raptors? Well yeah, but the Raptors need to start winning because winning trumps everything.

Would Wiggins want to play for Toronto? Well if he was drafted by them he would have to.

If Wiggins was drafted by Toronto will they become OKC overnight? Nothing in life is guaranteed but Wiggins looks like a sure thing (similar to how Lebron was a sure thing before he came into the NBA). All draft picks are crap shoots, but you weigh the risks and take the plunge. If it works out it could be great.

If Wiggins was a free agent and could choose his destination would he go to Toronto? Ask me again in 7 years.
    Most reasonable response I have received thus far !! :-)

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    Wow...him wearing a Raptors snapback REALLY shows he cares for the team. If I wear a Sonics snapback, does that mean I'm destined to play for them too?
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Wow...him wearing a Raptors snapback REALLY shows he cares for the team. If I wear a Sonics snapback, does that mean I'm destined to play for them too?
    Like your sarcasm but it's not as non meaningful as your are trying to portray. These small things matters.
    #FREE

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Start this thread again is 7 years when hes a RFA for the inevitable media outburst of "Bring Wiggins home" and etc etc cause it will happen and we will probably get snubbed again.

I think people forget yes Canada is where Jamal and Steve are from/born in but it isnt where they live. Wiggins will likely go to the Bobcats or whatever and live here in Canada so signing in Toronto will have that perk to it. Can we get wiggins? I dont know maybe it depends on conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Screw this, time to go read posts about how awesome JV is
    Nah come back, arguments are much better than this "agreeing" and "getting along" crap

Post Thanks / Like

Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    they also throw feces at each other, and eat each others lice directly out of their hair
    haha

Raptors Republic Rookie RobertArchibald's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Again, has he ever stated that he would prefer to play for the raps?? Why do we think that just because he is Canadian, he would want to put T.O. on the map and be the first to do so?
    Also, about JM. When did JM say that ? When he was an all-star or after multiple surgeries that made him the player you saw on the court after?
    No disrespect to JM, but when he could have put us on the map, he signed for more money and when nobody wanted his services, he joined the team. What's the difference between him and JO and his short stay here?
    Can't believe I'm even replying to this non-topic but this statement made me laugh. Your goal as an employee is to MAKE money. People go where more of it is being offered. Human nature.
    There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

1-Wiggins wont choose where he goes
    2- post #4 explained it well
    3- Piggybacking on #4 even KEVIN DURANT, yes KD wanted to play for the raptors until draft night.
    4- People refusing to play in canada was 15 years ago, they didnt want to play for an expansion team, one of the 2 in another country which was new and scary at the time for them.
    5-Nash left phoenix to contend not save BC's job. plus you cant argue with the Kids excuse.
    6-Raptor fans wont get to choose wiggins even if we get the 1st pick, with Gay in town, BC might want Randle or Parker to put at the 4.
    7-like the others said, horrible horrible thread.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

this thread is so stupid...
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless Wiggins wins a championship within his first 5 - 7 season, I am pretty sure he will sign with the Raptors. unless we get relocated
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Thread Information