Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who says Canadian basketball players want to play for the Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RaptorsFan1995 wrote: View Post
    Am I missing the point or there a guy with a raptors cap sitting in the crowd?
    What I am looking for is a statement that cannot be misinterpreted ; something like this coming from Nash's mouth at his prime (not in junior high or after losing two legs to shark attack)
    "I grew up watching the Raptors and would love to be drafted by them and realize my dreams ..."

The fact that TRoss showed up when the Leafs are playing does not make a statement ...
    That's Wiggins showing his support for Raptors while being in USA and knowing that this will spread in media, doing that intentionally. What else do you need? TRoss? Where?
    Nash is 40 years old. Take away 15 years and look at Raptors history and famous players at that time, anything thrilling? He grew up probably watching teams like Bulls, Pistons or Celtics.
    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      That's Wiggins supporting the hometown team he loves. Isn't that what you were looking for as 'proof'?

Magloire also stated that he was thrilled to be able to play for the Raptors, when he did finally 'come home' and voluntarily sign with the franchise.

It could easily be pointed out as well that there is no 'proof' that any Canadian players don't want to play for the Raptors. All the evidence you've used is as circumstantial and unsubstantiated as any 'proof' that there are now Canadian players that would love the chance to wear a Raptors jersey.
      Again, has he ever stated that he would prefer to play for the raps?? Why do we think that just because he is Canadian, he would want to put T.O. on the map and be the first to do so?
      Also, about JM. When did JM say that ? When he was an all-star or after multiple surgeries that made him the player you saw on the court after?
      No disrespect to JM, but when he could have put us on the map, he signed for more money and when nobody wanted his services, he joined the team. What's the difference between him and JO and his short stay here?

Comment

Jesus Christ... People are not so plain and one dimensional as you see them. They cannot choose, which city to play in because they are princesses. They have to be professionals. Think which teams will be tanking for him next year. NO, PHX, Charlotte, Washington, Detroit, Cleveland, Philly? Awesome places yeah? Toronto would be blessing for him. Just think before you type, no disrespect, you seem to be wise and thoughtful for your age and have great arguments, but include all factors when looking at players and why they are not playing here because there are 100 more reasons for that.
        Last edited by RandomGuy; Fri Apr 5, 2013, 02:03 PM.
        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

But the fact remains that they chose where to work and no one could change that (then and now).
          If Mourning had kidney issues, he could have come here and be on the injured list. I didn't see him (or Hakeem for that matter) play sick when they got their paycheques, did they?

We did have 'morons' who at least showed up for work and then left (so that their kids can get an American education ...) .
          But I don't think we could have 'forced' LJ to put on a Raptors jersey.
          You said draft prospects though. Can you name me one draft prospect who did not report to Toronto because he didn't want to play there?

As for Mourning, you know, the team could've not acquired a player who didn't want to play in Toronto. Again, it had nothing to do with the city. The team was going to be shite and he wanted a chance to win, while he was, you know, alive. Worst GM ever, Rob Babcock, I'm sure thought he could force Mourning to play. You can't force anyone. A lot goes on that doesn't get out in the papers. Often, teams will make contact with a player, either by the team they're dealing with asking, or going through the agent, to figure out if they are ok with a trade. I don't remember, but I have the impression that everyone knew Mourning was not going to come to Toronto before the trade happened, but Babcock pulled the trigger anyway.

As for Hakeem...he retired, so I don't know wtf you are talking about. He played as much as he could. The team made a stupidly big investment in him, and he just didn't physically have it anymore. He appeared in playoffs games for the Raptors before hanging it up in the summer, so I dn't know what your problem is.

And Davis left stupidly, but he also gave so much for the franchise, literally playing with one good arm to help them get into the playoffs, and then play through the playoffs that way. He left ugly, so what?...He said something stupid. Well he probably is stupid. This guy is a pro baller, there's a fair chance he's not that bright in all other areas of life.

Comment

Where is the button for dumbest thread ever? I can't find it.

Comment

Yes, but are you suggesting that if the Raptors had the first pick , he would have shown up for pre-draft workout? I seriously doubt that! That's another way of saying, there is no chance in hell I'd play for you!
              That's what I mean! I don't believe for a second that AW would pick Toronto as the number 1 destination!
              And you mentioned VC = we still boo VC to this day!! Why?? Because he was mentally not in it! He stayed here to get his top dollars!!
              Honestly, it bothers me that we have a top quality destination by all accounts and the only people who want to be here are either wash-outs or over-paid players who have nowhere else to go and are instantly promoted to 'elite' players because of BC and company ..
              You ask for proof, but you're making a totally baseless assumption....

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                Where is the button for dumbest thread ever? I can't find it.
                this thread is like watching excellent basketball players get convinced to play a game of basketball against monkeys, and there is no rim on the backboard that they're shooting at

no offense guys.. but i did compliment you by comparing you to excellent players

Comment

my point is simple, black and white (not 100 factors..) : why do we assume that AW would be a perfect match and that if we draft him, we are gonna be the next OKC??

Comment

Monkeys? I have seen monkeys play better basketball than RG or some other so called 'Excellent Players' .. :-)

Comment

I'm still not quite clear what the argument is.

Would Canadian athletes want to play for the Raptors? Well yeah, but the Raptors need to start winning because winning trumps everything.

Would Wiggins want to play for Toronto? Well if he was drafted by them he would have to.

If Wiggins was drafted by Toronto will they become OKC overnight? Nothing in life is guaranteed but Wiggins looks like a sure thing (similar to how Lebron was a sure thing before he came into the NBA). All draft picks are crap shoots, but you weigh the risks and take the plunge. If it works out it could be great.

If Wiggins was a free agent and could choose his destination would he go to Toronto? Ask me again in 7 years.

Comment

Yes, but are you suggesting that if the Raptors had the first pick , he would have shown up for pre-draft workout? I seriously doubt that! That's another way of saying, there is no chance in hell I'd play for you!
                        That's what I mean! I don't believe for a second that AW would pick Toronto as the number 1 destination!
                        And you mentioned VC = we still boo VC to this day!! Why?? Because he was mentally not in it! He stayed here to get his top dollars!!
                        Honestly, it bothers me that we have a top quality destination by all accounts and the only people who want to be here are either wash-outs or over-paid players who have nowhere else to go and are instantly promoted to 'elite' players because of BC and company ..
                        So this thread isn't just about Canadians? It's about the fact that TO isn't a top destination for any pro ball players. Top destinations are as rare as superstars, there are only a handful of each in the NBA. New York, LA, Chicago, Brooklyn, Miami, and Boston all trump TO. Even GS, Sac, Orl, and PHX might be more preferred due to the weather. Get over it dude, most teams in the league have to deal with the same issue.

Comment

my point is simple, black and white (not 100 factors..) : why do we assume that AW would be a perfect match and that if we draft him, we are gonna be the next OKC??
                          please make the rest of your posts like this, you sound like a ranting schizophrenic talking nonsensical jibberish in the rest of your posts. No offense to schizophrenics.

It doesn't matter if andrew wiggins is a perfect match or not. Teams are willing to take the gamble that they can win it all with him because he is an efficient enough scorer (talented) to have the offense centred around him. The fact that you have forgotten that we would have to dismantle the whole team to even have a chance to get the first pick tells me you haven't thought it true, and just came here to whine because you percieve that basketball players don't want to play in canada, you didn't look at each scenario to see if we were in a position to obtain the canadian player (ie. tristan is on his rookie contract and was drafted before we even had a chance to, jonas valanciunas is a better prospect anyways), or if we were in a position where we even needed said canadian player.

Comment

Screw this, time to go read posts about how awesome JV is

Comment

Monkeys? I have seen monkeys play better basketball than RG or some other so called 'Excellent Players' .. :-)
                              they also throw feces at each other, and eat each others lice directly out of their hair

Comment

Again, has he ever stated that he would prefer to play for the raps?? Why do we think that just because he is Canadian, he would want to put T.O. on the map and be the first to do so?
                                Also, about JM. When did JM say that ? When he was an all-star or after multiple surgeries that made him the player you saw on the court after?
                                No disrespect to JM, but when he could have put us on the map, he signed for more money and when nobody wanted his services, he joined the team. What's the difference between him and JO and his short stay here?
                                My reasoning is because Wiggins is a proud Toronto Raptors fan now and that most people would prefer to play for the team they personally cheer for. Nobody is making up or implying or assuming that Wiggins is a Raptors fan, it's a fact.

With regards to Magloire, now you're just contradicting yourself. The question was never about playing for the hometown team VS taking the best offer, your initial message was simply questioning whether or not they would want to play for the hometown team. Not only is money a factor, but the situation is too. Magloire made many public statements about being overjoyed about finally getting to be a Raptor. Timing and money aside, a Canadian kid being publically happy to play for the one Canadian team is answering your initial question, whether you want to admit it or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X